'83 BBi @ Hilton Head | FerrariChat

'83 BBi @ Hilton Head

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 1997spider, Oct 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1997spider

1997spider Karting

Nov 18, 2014
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Alex
  2. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    more info could be had with the VIN/serial number

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Wow....that car is either needy or boxers are getting cheap!!!

Huge drop off the market highs.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it is an auction and the auction house try to get a lot of bidders. so the lower the estimate price the more bidders. wait until the auction is over
    they put in an estiamte price - but this says nothing if there would be a minimum price

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #5 samsaprunoff, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day William,

Looking at the door pillar "tag", the car looks to be chassis 44231.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this would seem to be a 1982 model year...just to level set.

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Looked close, opened, I'll post a few pics latter. Was not a fan but price in indicative of condition. Did get the Green Lotus Elise though.

8. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sold for 175K

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #9 samsaprunoff, Nov 7, 2016
    Good day All,

Just adding doc..

Did anyone see the car in person, as it looks quite nice in the pics. Wow...what an amazing price!

Cheers,

Sam

1983 Ferrari 512 BBi - Hilton Head

1983 512BBi
    Color: Red with Boxer Exterior with Beige Interior
    Mileage: 17169 Miles (? Hard to see from the picture)
    Chassis: 44231
    Sold: $175000 USD

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #10 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 8, 2016
    Pictures lie! I can assure you it was not that nice. It says great paint, it was buffed off on the back edge of the deck lid or engine cover, bits of trim missing on the seat, rusty there for some reason, speaker covers missing, etc. It looked very unloved to me. But at 175 really closer to 200K with commission that may have been about right if concours is 300 plus.

By the way, what did the seller net? I think they pay something like 8% on the front side? We purchased the 2005 Lotus Elise with 5,500 miles on the clock. Hard to find one with that low milage, and first year in the US. Great ownership as well.

Oh well, F the mac, not going to even try to rotate these tonight. Had enough trouble getting them loaded at all! I do have a question however. Who the heck takes a car like this to the auction and leaves off caps, etc? It's like they didn't even give a damn, so that's what I have to assume. A little detailing could have made a huge difference in how this car looked to the average buyer in my opinion. Just goes to show you NEVER EVER trust the auction pictures.
    th

11. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    My take from the auction description and pictures and comments from this thread are as follows and based upon 175k price PLUS assuming additional buyers premium of 10% for 192.5k all-in. Just call it 195k after transporting home.

Problems / Areas of Concern

Probably needs a major service since no mention of any service history and fact that car was stored for a while --- call this a 10 to 15k expense

If driven sparingly, probably needs suspension rebuilt , shocks, bushings, etc - say another 5 to 8k

Tires look to be metrics but probably need replacing due to age - another 2k

David mentions the paint issues on the rear deck -- hard to comment on that without seeing it

Seat bolster and missing plastic cover on driver side seat adjustment -- good luck finding a replacement!! It is common that these break off, mine did but I repaired it. Both items relatively minor to take care - call it 1k

Speaker grill - minor issue but good luck finding an original one!

US compliant side markers installed in front and rear - at least they installed them low in the fiberglass and not higher in the steel fender and rear quarter. This will make getting rid of these and returning the car back to it's original European look ALOT easier - call it another 1 to 2k

What type of exhaust is on the car - if it does not have the original European set up then that is fine for a driver, but if you want to Classiche the car and show it you will need an original set up. Once again, good luck finding one and you when you do you will probably spend 6 to 8k

Looks like car has it's tool kit, but no mention of books and records - this will definitely hurt resale and buying a set of books for this car will set you back 5k, and you still will not have the original warranty card specific to this car nor will you have any maintenance history.

Are the original DOT / EPA releases with the car? Not a big deal now that the car is older than 25 years, but still nice to have.

Is the car still running the original ignition, which is prone to failure? Many are now being converted to modern electronics being housed inside the original metal box.

How is the clutch? What is the age and mileage on current one? Hard to tell without records

How many true miles are on the car? The 320 kph original speedo has obviously been replaced with the current 200 mph unit, which was probably done at the time of US conversion. How many km's did the car have on it before that?

Most of the above may be handled with a more detailed inspection and discussion with current owner, but at a minimum it looks to me like someone is going to spend approx. 25k to get the car in good to go, worry free mechanical condition.

On the plus side, the car looks pretty original.

My guess is a dealer bought it and will try and tidy it up and have approx. 225k in it and try and advertise it somewhere in the high 2's, with a realistic selling price north of 250k. Nevertheless, it should be interesting to keep an eye out for this one and see if / when it reappears on the market!