Salvage TR project on Bringatrailer | FerrariChat

Salvage TR project on Bringatrailer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ATSAaron, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
  2. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    At what price do you snap buy?

3. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I don't know. I don't really know TR's. I wanted to get the groups opinion?

Aaron

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Project - Yes
    Doable - Yes
    Expensive - Yes
    Heck of a Story when it's done - Yep!

Whoever purchases this car needs to look us up, I will make the buyer a slamming deal on labor ( parts too? ) if they want to put it back together again!

PM me when you win the auction!!

What's it worth? $20-$30k ..... ?

S

5. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I don't know you Steve, but Christine in your parts department is one cool young woman. I've bought several things for my turbo 308 from you guys.

Aaron

6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wow, a truly basket case, Salvage Title TR, in non running condition and in 1,000 pieces, and it's already been bid up to $33k? That's a lot more than I thought it would bring!

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Thank you, we tend to agree !

My thoughts exactly!

S

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I was expecting to see a crunched up car when clicking on the link. Sure it was at one point but assuming the body and paint work is fairly good I personally wouldn't call this basket case. Someone has saved you a lot of disassembly time to redo the interior :). Where was this car when complete and running turds were $38k? If you could get this car for under forty and were experienced at this level of project, weren't anal about doing every nut and bolt back to OEM ( meaning some mods and cross referenced parts) you've got as lot of room till your upside down on a car even with history which is usually about a 35% discount to similar condition cars without history (salvage etc).

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    33k +15k for major, 5k for body work issues? 3k for shipping, 10k for redoing interior getting a/c to work, and for replacing lost parts? 2k for tires
    Is there a premium paid to BAT on top of price?
    Im at 68k for a storied salvage car....nope.

10. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Thats a parts lot and nothing more.

Putting that back on the street would be an uphill battle of F-car regret IMO

Why would any one pay a dime over rough parts value for that pile?

I cannot grasp a good reason why Its already past the 25K mark of no return!

I have never bought a car on BAT, makes me wonder is it easy to fake bid? can the buyer welch on his bids like on Ebay?

11. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    At that price, you're already upside down for anything other than salvage. Even then....

12. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I would love to buy a project Testarossa and fix it up, having done this work before. As much as I love TR's....$33k is a bit high...considering all of the unknowns. If the motor and gearbox are good, then $33k isn't so bad as the car exceeds this value in parts alone. But you will never get away from the salvage title issue. This will be a labor of love to get it back on the road....I'm all for that. I would probably pay that much if one of my previous Testarossas was in this condition and I had the chance to get it back....call me sentimental. I would hope the bidder on this project is keeping up to date on market values.

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    You have to put down a deposit in order to bid and winning bidder is automatically charged the commission at the end.

So yes you could fake it but it will cost you.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Its a perfect car to make a stripped out street machine with. Dont bother putting the OE interior back in. A pair of racing seats, autometer gauges in an aluminium dash, 6 point harnesses, a bit of that thin carpeting to cover the floors etc, you could have this car up and running for cheaper then you think, if you dont put it back to stock. Perfect time to put a cage into to. Sell off the the rest of the OE interior bits, and bobs your uncle.

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All true and you would have an over priced street hotrod that a $20k Mustang or Corvette could drive circles around. I like TR's, we have one but their only real value to anyone is being what Ferrari built. This one is too far gone when you calculate what it will cost to make into a good car unless possibly if you do everything yourself and place zero value on your time.

For the same amount you could buy a good original car with clean title, be driving it around for the next year or two instead of being in the garage slaving away and in the end you would have a car someone wants and you can actually sell.

This cars best value to the world is as a parts car.

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Anyone know how's the diff ?

17. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    Sold for $45k. wow

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A fool and his money.

19. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Very True Brian...a fool and his money are soon parted. But I've always wondered....how does a "fool" get this kind of money in the first place? If someone were to do "restomod" of a Testarossa I think that would be great. Kind of like what Gas Monkey did on that wrecked Ferrari F40 they fixed up - it was awesome except for the weird LED lights in the front.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I only can say:

every day a stupid will wake up

but on the other side: if the buyer can do all by himself he has a cheap car and when it will be finished he has what he want and knows what all has been done

may be the buyer is also a member here?
    would be great to know how the car will look in 1 or 2 years

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    True..but that's kinda the point. Build it that way because its wrong. The car has a salvage title anyway, so no real harm. If done nicely somebody would buy it. People bought the Aztec..so there is a market out there for it some place anyway..

22. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Completely parted out, they may recoup the purchase price and make a couple percentage points.

23. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Novices continue to think that this is a way to back into a "cheap" Ferrari but soon find out that they are in way over their head both financially and skill wise. I don't know the buyer but I suspect that this one may find its way back to the "for sale" market very soon.

I was done on this one when it passed $25,000.

24. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Fools? Come on folks. The buyer could have bought it to part out, or has skills but not capitol or has plenty of money and wants a fun winter project or ???

One mans trash is another mans treasure. The buyer might have mad skills and is willing to wait for used parts to pop up on Ebay. Remember that Brit that bought the convertible basket case for $30k? We all applauded him. IIRC, he got the engine running with some minimal work. Did he luck out or was he talented or is the TR really that robust?

Im all for the mystery buyer and if he pops up here and is local, Ill gladly pitch in anyway I can.

25. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #25 166&456, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Cool project, you need cheap labor or be an enthusiast. If the new owner has a body shop or garage he will have a great showcase. A buyer may care much about stories (or not) but until then you'd have something cool. The public don't see or care about stories if the cosmetics are good, they just go "wow".

I have had a few long-term projects and with putting in an average two hours a week, you eventually have something nice while it doesn't feel to have cost much effort.