Boxer rear wheel bearing service | FerrariChat

Boxer rear wheel bearing service

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ludwig, Dec 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    #1 Ludwig, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am starting an overall major service on my '83 boxer and will start the thread soon.
    I am currently trying to complete the disassembly of the rear hubs both for bearing replacement as well as overall resto cosmetically.

I am currently trying to remove the inboard ring nut pt # 102289 and it is not clear if this is a LH or RH fitting / 102290 is designated LH

having snapped one breaker bar and achieving about 10 degrees of movement assuming RH I would really appreciate if anyone can confirm the thread direction before the big impact driver is deployed
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I never did this

but in the spare parts catalog there is a "sinistro" ( left ) and a "destro" ( right ) nut

so I think those nuts would be to open same as the wheel nuts: open to the front

newman will know excatly :)

3. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    #3 Ludwig, Dec 7, 2016
    Success! Many thanks to Newman for his expertise. The castle nut style is LH on the L side and RH on the R side- essentially towards the front. A moderate application of heat to the nut with oxyacetylene and then the big breaker bar- like butter lol.
    The remainder is with the press. The next step is clean up and I am thinking of powder coating the hub casting which appears to be aluminum painted.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Glad to help!

I've seen the rear hub carriers in both black and natural. Considering your area behind the rotor and park brake shoe is bare that's how yours was. I like them better is satin black powder coat.

5. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    #5 Ludwig, Dec 8, 2016
    Now both hubs are completely disassembled and some observations-
    took lots of force to press out splined components and when I examined them-looks like green Loktite! Is this correct and is it best practice to reassemble with this or instead use light coat of oil/grease?
    The R outer bearing was also marginal feeling as if there is a loss of internal grease and loss of smoothness. Makes me feel better about replacement.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes put a thread locker back on the splines.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Why thread locker on splines? Doesn't the big nut pull everything up tight?

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    That mega dollar NLA stub axle will live a long happy life with it. Skip the loctite and it will most likely come loose. Just too much load and torque to count on a little ring nut.

9. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Thanks again, makes a lot of sense and I doubt I will ever need to revisit it-perhaps the blue loktite.