Engine stalls after rev. | FerrariChat

Engine stalls after rev.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Chief20123, Dec 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    86 Testarossa RHD, UK version. Starts ok, when cold, and when warm, idle settles at 1100. When I hit the accelerator and rev it a little (say to 2000 revs, ) and let the accelerator go, it should settle back to 1100 revs, however, the engine stalls every time. Any ideas what causes this?

2. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If the OP has an '86 UK version, it is probably an F113A (K-Jet without Lambda) engine TR (so not much in those KE-Jet with Lambda threads would apply).

OP -- Can you please:

1. Confirm (or deny) it is an F113A engine TR?

2. Comment on whether this a new problem that occurred suddenly (i.e., it was OK, but the behavior has now suddenly changed), or has it always been this way (since someone last fondled all of its adjustments)?

4. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Confirmed- it is an F113A engine TR. Thanks Steve, I only noticed it first time about a week ago. Not sure what's changed. Engine out was one year ago. We just did some work on the front end, the car hadn't been started for about 2 months. Replaced the RHS Ignition coil recently as it was only running on one bank. (I don't think this problem is related) I can't be 100% sure that this problem didn't exist before.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Maybe the throttle is getting hung up when the idle is 1100. Then when you blip the throttle, it closes all the way against the idle screw adjust.

Shouldn't let the car sit so long. Injectors, and FDs can get clogged.

6. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #6 166&456, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    The comparatively high idle could be a sign of false air entering the intake through a failed seal, this can be checked using brake cleaner on the various joints, looking for idle changes.
    There is also a possible problem with overrun shutoff. It could indeed be the throttle valve slamming too far when letting go of the throttle. This can also be caused by play in the throttle valve shafts.

This is the KE-jetronic system? Check here for a description on troubleshooting faults that often plague that system (warning, in German and don't be afraid of technical stuff): Sternzeit 107 - Anleitung zu Arbeiten an der KE-Jetronic. Or here for K-jetronic: http://www.zeepoort.nl/jetronic/bosch-k-jetronics.html

7. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    It's a K-Jetronic (not KE) thanks for the input.

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Steve,
    You are a wealth of information on this forum. We all owe you a great thank, you and happy holidays!

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    Thanks for the kind words David. I guess I just enjoy hanging out with others experiencing the pleasure and pain of having an affair with a TR -- and it gives both ;)

One thing that I've always found very impressive about K-Jet without Lambda is that it really doesn't have any electrics/electronics other than just +12V power to run the fuel pump(s) (and some minor functions like the WUR heaters and TTS system). Of course, this also means that there really isn't any simple electrical fault that can cause a K-Jet without Lambda engine to go from good warm running to still running but not running well warm (this is not the case with KE-Jet which has many possible electrical faults that can occur and cause that). K-Jet without Lambda does have some vacuum-operated gizmos (called vacuum limiting valves or vacuum bypass valves or just bypass valves) to prevent the system from going too lean under hard engine deceleration (like going from 5K RPM to closed throttle while going down a hill in gear) -- but going from a gentle 2K RPM stationary to closed throttle just doesn't seem to be in that league. Consequently, I'd more suspect more that it is just not really tweaked-up well so have no better thought than TR WSM Chapter D.

One simple thing you can do is to make a mark on the big hex heads of the air bypass screws of the throttle bodies and then count the turns required to fully close each (making the mark beforehand will allow you to return them to their original open adjustment position). Each should be open only something like 1/2~1 turn so if one (or both) are open something like ~4 turns or fully closed = obviously not tweaked up correctly. Good Hunting!

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Steve's and Spicedrivers points are all good but it is also a symptom of the wrong idle air adjustment set up. CIS cars are for some reason prone to this. The idle speed should be adjusted to about 700RPM balanced air flow on the idle plate stop screws then raised to 1100 or so A/C off on the idle air bleeds @ the correct fuel mixture with O2s disconnected.

For whatever reason a good portion of idle air needs to be supplied by the idle air bleeds or stalling at a sudden release of the throttle at no load is common. BBi's were really bad for this but TRs do the same thing.

11. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thanks Steve, Brian, 166&456, it was the wrong air adjustment. Adjusted both air bypass screws(big hex heads) just a little and now it doesn't stall.