Will Someone Please Buy the Miami Vice Ferrari Testarossa? | FerrariChat

Will Someone Please Buy the Miami Vice Ferrari Testarossa?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ferrari 641, Jan 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 641

Ferrari 641 Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2010
    Will Someone Please Buy the Miami Vice Ferrari Testarossa?

The iconic white Ferrari Testarossa from Miami Vice first came up for sale on eBay in December 2014, then once again in March 2015.

After that, it ended up at two Mecum auctions–one held in Monterey in August 2015, and one in January 2016. Somehow, it's set to cross the block again at Barrett-Jackson's Scottsdale auction next month.

That's five times in two years that the car has been offered up for sale, apparently with no success

Unfortunately, Barrett-Jackson wouldn't detail this Testarossa's prior sales history, but the VIN number on the auction house's site matches the previous eBay listings.

Testarossas have climbed in value over the last few years, but the original eBay listing's asking price of $1.75 million was perhaps optimistic.

Hagerty estimates that a 1986 Testarossa in Concours-quality condition is worth $136,000.

We'll find out what it's truly worth next month when it goes to auction-though Barrett-Jackson has it listed with no reserve price.

We're fairly certain that this car hasn't been sold since it first appeared on the market back in 2014.

Considering this is easily one of the most iconic Ferraris of all time, we can't figure out why seemingly nobody wants to buy it.

The car has been authenticated by both Ferrari North America and Ferrari Classiche, and comes with all sorts documents from Miami Vice's production company, Universal Studios.

The car was placed in storage after the show's filming ended in 1989, with a little over 16,000 miles on the clock. Since then, it's been given an $8000 engine-out service.

2. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #2 davemqv, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWw8eecpPg[/ame]

!!!

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

Clearly it isn't worth anywhere near 1.75 million or someone would have bought it.

It is funny when people just flat miss the obvious.

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Personally, I wouldn't buy any movie prop with a Certificate of Authenticity from Universal.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If I were just stupid filthy rich I would get it. I loved that show in high school.

Apparently no one with money is as dumb as I am.

Personally, I think it would be hard to move at $500,000 so that 1 million something is just not going to happen.

6. Ferrari 641

Ferrari 641 Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2010
    I do think the car reached app. 600 thousand dollars the very first time it was auctioned. if I recall properly, the second auction reached 400. This does not include the numerous times it was posted on ebay..

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's still a TR at the end of the day. Miami vice or not. It is not a million dollar car. 200k is tops I would think.

9. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    agreed +1

10. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Isn't real one in the collection of Preston Henn and displayed in the swapshop?

11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As I recall Ferrari gave them 2 or 3 cars for the show. I think it was 2. There's almost always more than one car, for camera purposes.

12. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes...Enzo gave them 2 Testarossas...both were black....which did not show well on camera. So the studio repainted them white. I wonder how good the respray was?
    Top quality or just a quick tape and spray?

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Top quality paint for TV? I doubt! One of the two cars was used for the camera setup and partly dismantled for the braces from pictures I remember.

14. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Every time I look close at a car with Tv history it is ruined with rigged quick fixes. Some worse than others but its part of the industry. Even More so concerning cars from Monster Garage show and the like where they are on a major time constraint.

15. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    As a MAJOR 'Vice fan I would gladly pay $200K for that car!

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    They used a modified pantera for many of the risky shots.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Pantera was the stunt car. Popular mechanics did an issue on it. It was the cover story..if I remember correctly. I think I may still have the issue kicking around someplace..probably at my parents house..

18. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Seller could have got that summer of 2015 during the height of the bubble.

But whoever owns it was too greedy, and the high bid started to drop in a hurry. Too late now.

19. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    True..but we don't know what he paid for it. He could be up to his eyeballs and needs the insane price to just break even. Although I doubt that's the case however.

20. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    There was a very long and caustic thread about this car here a couple years back. Owner came here to research and claim he found the long lost second car. He was as can be imagined berated and left in a huff. 90% of the members here basically called him a liar.

short version is the owner (most likely the same since the car has not sold at any auction it's been in) owned a pawn shop. Owner comes into the pawn shop and pawns the car and does not repay the $ so pawn shop owner takes possession of the car. Obviously we all know the market was much lower 3 years ago and I'd doubt he has more than $50K into the car. Selling the car NR at BJ he will vastly regret not taking the $650K or $450K the car reached in previous auctions

21. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  22. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    #22 bernardo66, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oui!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I do remember the thread, now that you mention it. Appears it's a case of greed and nothing more. If this is the case, I hope he gets no more then 20k for the car. He has shot himself in the ass.

24. Daniel Marchand

Oct 14, 2014
    Full Name:
    Daniel MM
    Has somebody seen this car in real life? How good is it aesthetically?

25. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    #25 TestaLA, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Movie props always look crappier in person. You can see tons of flaws that the camera never picks up and what you thought was metal is actually cheap plastic. Sometimes you can even see the plastic seams, you wonder if it's just a replica. It's not, props a lot of the time look only as good as the camera needs. Am I saying this isn't a Ferrari but only a plastic prop? Nope. I'm saying a hack paint job (converting it from black to white) would look as good as a first class paint job if you consider 80s TV quality cameras. Bet if you open the hood or trunk you will see traces of black. I can only imagine the interior...

Don't get me wrong I wish him all the best, I hope the car sells for 3 million. Miami Vice was and still is awesome