Front Shocks - Rebuild? | FerrariChat

Front Shocks - Rebuild?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Jan 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Aloha again,

I've had this 89 TR for 17 years now and I've driven it from 9000 miles to 39000 miles. It seems to me the front shocks are feeling a little unresponsive.

Suggestions? Opinions? Rebuild? Replace? Who? How much $? Your wisdom is appreciated.

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe Koni will rebuild them? Or you can remove the shock, bottom out and add click to adjust for wear.

3. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They're adjustable?

How much does Koni charge?

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Some of the Koni's are adjustable for wear ONLY. Google Koni adjustment. This if from my memory: Bottom shock,count clicks anti clockwise, then add 1/4 turn more to total. Don't go over board, this just to compensate for wear. I don't know what Koni charges.

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It turns out that Koni no longer rebuilds their own shocks for our cars. They referred me to 2 locations on the west coast but they have authorized service centers all over the place.

Performance Shock Inc. said that to rebuild these will run $225 - $250 per shock not including any damaged parts.

I am still waiting to hear back from Pro Parts USA.

As far as adjustability, yes they are adjustable but you have to disassemble the shock and spring to do the adjustment. Ugh.

6. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    As far as adjustability, yes they are adjustable but you have to disassemble the shock and spring to do the adjustment. Ugh

You have to disassemble the shocks to send them out for rebuild! Or are you going to send the whole coil over set up out?

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When I think of adjustability I think of being able to do it on the fly like modern shocks. A few clicks with a screwdriver and you're done. The point of the adjustability in these TR shocks is for wear. Well, with nearly 30 years and 40,000 miles of wear, what's the point in adjusting them? They need rebuilt at this point anyway.

I think I'll probably just send the whole coilover setup.

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I highly recommend Performance Shock Inc. They do quality work, with quick turn-around time, much faster than using Koni. Their paint work on the shocks was also better than Koni.

9. wintech

wintech Karting

Jun 1, 2011
    Perth WA
    Full Name:
    Pete K
    Hi Scott,
    just PM'd you on this topic to send pics as cannot upload right now. Also; sorry guys! will get around it somehow.

10. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Pete is sending me info on rebuilding the shocks myself. I've done plenty of motorcycle forks and shocks so it shouldn't be too unfamiliar.

If I decide to tackle this on my own, (I probably will) I'll document it for the site here.

11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I've used TRUECHOICE many times. Yes, it's the age - not the miles in this case. When they most recently (2-3 months ago) rebuilt my untouched 30+ yr old shocks, they told me the fluid was black and thick with decayed seal debris which most certainly mucks up the valving and makes them stiff and inconsistent. I've always requested the full restorative work which includes blasting/painting/new KONI decals and they actually do dyno test them and give you the response curves. They will do the shock eye bushings, but caution that they don't have the best prices on those, so I take that on. That leaves the challenge of install with minimum scratching.

If you want to rebuild yourself, there's a spanner you'll need to undo the top. Not certain what oil to use, or where to get parts. Maybe TRUECHOICE will sell them to you?

And lastly, I think they are available brand new, and is always an option.

BTW - while you're in there, check the pass side steering rack bushing by grabbing and moving up & down. That bushing is a delicate polymer which doesn't age well.

How we love them so! & Happy New Year!

12. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
  13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yup! Pete in Oz has sent me pics of the spanner he made. The oil is generally a 5 to 10W, I'll look it up.

Thank's for the heads up on the rack bushing. I'll take a look.

14. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Funny, I looked up post #9 and once again, it was Pete in Oz. He's already the guy who's got my mind spinning on this idea. He's sent me pics and instructions.

I'll follow up once my brakes are done.

15. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Pete is unable to post pics so I'm gonna do it for him.

His shock rebuild. These are rears but I don't think fronts are much different.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I like this special made by yourself tool with the 2 drills :)