Front Brake Pads | FerrariChat

Front Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Jan 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I searched the cross reference sticky and found only 1 post regarding front brake pads and it was simply for another supplier who wants $80 for a set.

The last time I bought pads I discovered that these ATE brakes were installed on a lot of BMW's. The 87 M6 uses the exact same pads and I can get them from NAPA for $39. Anybody disagree with that? If not, I'll put this in the sticky.

2. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 qwazipsycho, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Well maybe this post was pointless. After doing further searching, I have found many brake pads anywhere from $26 on up using the correct application. EBC makes both Yellowstuff and Redstuff brake pads for all for corners. There are "OEM style" brake pads all over the place. Don't get stuck paying the F pimp for these.

Here's a site that has a bunch.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=213000001+2259+4294957814+4294965800+4294959032+4294967029+4294961227&Ne=1105000086&Nr=AND(part:Brake+Pad+Set)&Ntk=Main&PN=0+2259&VN=4294957814+4294965800+4294959032+4294967029+4294961227&refType=&refValue=

And you can buy them on Amazon too...Duh. I just bought the EBC Yellow Street and Track for $52

3. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Have any pad recommendations? I don't want to warp the rotors.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Warping rotors is a matter of heat (how hard you are using the brakes) and not the pads you are using. There are a hundred choices depending on your use.

Performance Friction is a good choice. I have them on our TR. Stay away from Hawk. I put them on one of the cars and the dust attacked and destroyed the paint on the wheels.

5. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I'll look into the performance friction pads. I was close to being swayed towards EBC redstuff pads as they seem to be decent.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never used them but some have told me they are good.

7. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I've been using Porterfield R4S pads for a couple years and no complaints. Good bite and pedal feel with minimal dusting. You won't go wrong with those.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    And where do you get them Kenny ? :)

9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Brake pad choice should be made based on your intended use. In general, I'd stay away from EBC, but my experience with their compounds was all on the track so it may very well not be applicable for your use case (I figure that since their full track compound pads don't hold up AT ALL I don't even wanna bother trying their street pads).

The Porterfield R4S (street compound) pads have worked very well for me in certain applications.

I have no experience with them, but the Girodisc "Magic Pads" might be worth trying if you're looking for street only pads.

PM me if you're looking for track pads, because that's where my experience lies. I don't sell them but I may be able to suggest a good compound based on your parameters.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and how you like them.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ill second that thougth about EBC, they were really unimpressive.

For street with great bite pagid RS14s black are excellent, you'll get more dust and they are agressive on rotors, but its not as though our ferraris are dailys. RS14s will make you car feel like it has a new upgraded braking system.

The RS14 blacks like a little heat, so you can also go for blues.

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Have not tried it yet, but that seems like a **very** interesting compound for someone wanting a street pad with track overtones. Seriously thinking about trying them on my 348.

12. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Mel, I got them from topbrakes.com I paid $135 with free shipping for both sets.

I've read nothing but positives about them over the years on here which is largely why I went for them. And the fact they're low dusting. Had stock pads and got tired of wiping the wheels after every drive.

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Except for one person, you all keep generalizing about EBC. Yes, their RedStuff pads are for track use. The yellowstuff pads are for street and strip. I haven't heard anyone say anything about the yellowstuff.

If no one has experience with them, I'll fill you in shortly. I just finished the caliper rebuilds and I'm reinstalling everything now including YellowStuff pads.

14. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    EBC is definitely NOT for track use. I've driven several cars fitted with various compounds from EBC and they were all absolute trash. I do not anticipate being an EBC customer in the future, regardless of the application. If there is any pad maker I'll never buy from, it'd be EBC.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I had ebc yellows on my lotus, they were Meh at best.

But then its also a function of what you want to spend.

I never scrimp on fluids or brakes.

16. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Hmm, this thread has instilled doubt. All I am looking for is a good street pad that will work well even when cold. I also thought that the ebc reds were the road pad.

17. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    I have the EBC Red on my TR. Street only use. No problems and acceptable dusting.

18. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    I've found the Porterfield R4S (street) compound to work very well when cold.

Apologies for my harsh comment about EBC earlier. I was doing two things at once and chose my words poorly. I've had bad luck with EBC pads but there are better ways to express that.

If the "magic pads" from Girodisc are available for your application I'd be very tempted to try them, based on feedback from others. Haven't tried the pads myself but the discs are excellent and the people at Girodisc seem to know their stuff.

19. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I second the Porterfields with about 100 miles of experience with them :rolleyes:

20. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I also like the Porterfield pads--good performance with very minimal brake dust (as compared to the ATE pads they replaced). Very happy with them.

21. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Well one thing I've gotten from all this is that there is a lot of choices out there I wasn't aware of. I thought the brake pad thing was just like every other Ferrari part. Expensive and hard to find.

Still, there hasn't been anyone who said Jack about EBC YELLOWSTUFF. You're all talking about the REDSTUFF Track use pads. There could be a huge difference between the two. I don't know.

I guess I won't experience them anytime soon. Assembing the drivers side I dropped a 1MM caliper shim and it went into the twightlight zone. Been trying to locate it in my garage for 2 days.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I had yellows on my Lotus. They are actualy truck pads and the theory was they would be more durable and heat resistant on track. I thought they sucked in the bite, stopping power and fade department and swapped them out after one trackday.

A frind put them on his car and came to the same conclusion.

I guess it depends how hard you drive.

There are some really great pads out there these days, the right pads will feel like you just seriously upgraded your brakes.

23. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Damn, I wish this thread had run it's course BEFORE I bought th EBC's. Well at least I'm not out a buttload of money. I'f I don't like them, they are easily swapped.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Ha ha Scott ! :D

25. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    IIRC, I have driven three different EBC compounds (including Red). All of them handled heat *very* poorly, which is why I made the harsh assessment earlier in this thread. For street driving in wide open spaces they'll probably work fine but please be extra cautious if you drive on twisty roads, and back off immediately if you feel any hint of pad fade because things will get worse in a hurry once pad fade sets in.