Subtle Difference Between The TR and 512... | FerrariChat

Subtle Difference Between The TR and 512...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by closedeal, Jan 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. closedeal

closedeal Rookie

Nov 30, 2008
    California
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 closedeal, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Yes that is one of the reasons I prefer the TR over the 512.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The way it is curved always looked like a hunch back to me.

Thought the TR was a better looking car.

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Me as well, I also liked the black engine vent cut out on the TR over the 512 as well.

The bumper integration on the 512 TR in the back was beautifully done from a design point. It really shaped the car to look more complete. Overall the design changes were nicely done from model to model.

5. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I like them both.

6. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Both are nice but the flying buttress on the 512TR is unique, the Testarossa style was later implemented on the 348 & 355(which also looks terrific)

7. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I think both are great, but I think (maybe some would think this an abomination...) but the TR with 512 wheels and front bumper would be my favourite mashup of the two. That's just my personal opinion (and no black side skirts, of course).

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The lack of black rocker panels was a major contributor to making the 512 look like a fat pig.

9. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    You feel the vertical dimension is visually too tall without it?

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes and is why so many models have black rocker panels and why the BB style paint scheme was so popular. A BB with the half black paint scheme looks like an arrow in motion. The TR, any generation with body colored rockers looks like an over weight old pig to me. The 512 is a great car but aesthetically like most cars the original iteration looked best. The face lift to give it a new look to attract new buyers was not a success either financially or aesthetically.

11. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Interesting perspective. Thank you! :)

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Don't forget the miata grill work 😁
    Cheers,
    Vincenzo

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'm shocked. No one is defending the 512's honor. I guess car guys aren't made of the same stuff they used to be. I haven't even been able to use my "We ain't got no sticky parts" line.

Guys used to get Bow Tie and Blue Oval tattoos. Now they can't even speak up.

Snowflakes.

14. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    I'll bite. I do like the 512 better, but it has more to do with the front bumper/grill design than anything. I was always bothered by the fact that the top of the black chin spoiler on the front of the Testarossa is at a higher elevation than the top of the black rockers. To me it is a visual disconnect that makes the front overhang look strange and overly long. The 512 rectifies that in my eyes, but I do agree it also make the car look heavier in the mid section.

15. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Someone will chime in and speak of how much more the 512s are worth. That is where it is at these days. Battle of the bank accounts.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And it made it a hell of a lot easier to get in and out of a driveway. Of all Feraris only an F40 is worse.

17. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Overall, I prefer the exterior (and interior) design of the 512TR over the TR. Although, I do agree with those above that the flying buttress design of the TR looks better than that of the 512. Both cars look great and each has its pluses and minuses, but the 512 looks better IMHO.

HAHA

It took me a minute to get this...I guess I really am more of a fan of European sports cars. BTW, I'd get the stallion, not the bull.

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would throw a Testarossa in the ocean to get a 512TR. Its so much better in every way. Feel better? :)

19. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #19 msdesignltd, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Love them both..
    I think the shortened c pillars of the original testa accentuate the ducktail..
    Kinda like what Koenig did to the boxer..

We can always hope for this though
    The Testarossa 2
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    X2

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    At least someone has an opinion.

22. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Tell us how you really feel Brian. :)

I personally prefer the 512TR. I've driven both many times, have bought and sold both, and have owned a 512TR for an extended period. The 512TR is, in my opinion, just a better car in almost every way. From the more attractive interior, to the more integrated exterior, to the engine, just everything.

Having said the above, I've been jonesing for a Testarossa lately. Don't know why. It just defines the 1980s exotic car, and I want to own one for a while.

Don't get me started on the F512M though. :)

23. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    You couldn't be more right (and for what its worth Fioravanti feels the same way). The front end needs to be the way it was originally to be coherent with the rest of the design. The c-pillars add a sort of thinness -- from top to bottom -- to the rear instead of being too thick (or, pig-like! Hehe). And the interior of the TR is just so much better than on the 512, which looks like any other 90's interior and has no stylistic relationship to the rest of the exterior design.

G

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I think its the exact opposite. Sitting in a testarossa with my knees hitting the dash and steering wheel vs comfort in a 512TR with leg room makes it a loser right there. Add the mouse seat belts and funky controls on the console and its a fail. I had an 89 and as cool as it was I would still take a 512TR any day. The CIS can be a drag too. Give me EFI. The only thing a 512TR shares with a testarossa is its overall exterior shape and that it has an engine.

25. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Well since I'm the first who commented about why I prefer the TR and probably started that opinion war I want to clarify my comment. I was only talking about the exterior look not the entire car. I have no doubt the 512tr is a much better car but I never drove one and I trust those who did.

But for me the BEST LOOKING are the 87-88.5