Newbie - Need Help- First time Ferrari Testarossa owner | FerrariChat

Newbie - Need Help- First time Ferrari Testarossa owner

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by GTTT, Jan 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Guys,

First time Ferrari Testarossa owner and newbie to this forum.

I am experiencing a "WOT" throttle issue on my 1989 Testarossa.

What started off as a "hanging" throttle issue (the car would rev to 3k -4k between shifts) is now a "WOT" issue upon start up.

I tried to start my car a few days ago and the engine rev'd up quickly and I was able to shut it off very quickly. However the throttle seemed like it was stuck wide open.

The pedal seem'd really stiff as well.

I you guys can help me figure this issue out I would greatly appreciate it or direct me to a trustworthy reasonable mechanic in Houston Tx.

****I have already removed the floor mat's from the car.

Thank you in advance!
    GTTT

2. 365boxer

365boxer Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2004
    La Drova, Spain
    Full Name:
    Nick
    More likely on idle control valve issue, What year is your car ?
    Nick

3. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Or air leaks

4. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    @365 it is 1989 us model

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Remove the floor mats.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Then you have no choice IMO but to inspect/fix the throttle cable and linkage system at the engine end and at the pedal end. If a strand of the cable pops, it can drag, or get hung up, on the guide sheath. Also, there are several adjustable ball joints in the linkage, and they can be mis-adjusted too tight. Good hunting! (Please do let us know what it is when you find the trouble -- this has not been reported as a typical/common TR problem.)

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I didn't read your last line. Duh.

Steve is correct. I'd pay a lot of attention to the big throttle bellcrank under the coolant tank. I'd probably just take it out and service it. They have been known to get sticky and seize from lack of lubrication.

8. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Yup! What he said. Had a similar kind of problem on my 328 just after buying it back in 2006.
    Was solved by lubricating throttle control level.

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Pop the air box off, and have an assistant operate the throttle. You will see the throttle shaft move. Follow the shaft at both ends to the throttle body linkage. Where it is binding will be very apparent. If all seems fine there, Disconnect the cable from the shaft, and feel for any binding buy manually moving it with your hand. If all feels good and everything snaps shut with authority, then your issue is forward of the engine.

Not a common issue, but should be an easy fix.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Throtle cable came off its reel on top of the engine ? (or is that 512TR "only")

11. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi Guys,

I would like to thank everyone for their help.

tbakowsky was correct on checking on checking the shaft under the air box.
    After inspecting all the items mentioned by the members - we found that the shaft was binding/not turning when the throttle was being pressed down.

I have other items I need help with as well:

1.Notchy gear change- I am going to change out the trans fluid to royal purple 75w90 (gl4 and gl5 safe)

2. Brakes are mushy- I am changing out the fluid to a new dot4 fluid (lucas)

3. Windows- Drivers and passengers are slow to come down- I will either buy new motors or clean and re assemble the originals. Does anyone have the part numbers for these?

4. Drivers side door seal looks a little worn out- id like to change this out

once again I would like to thank everyone for their help.
    GTTT

12. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    1.Notchy gear change- I am going to change out the trans fluid to royal purple 75w90 (gl4 and gl5 safe)

2. Brakes are mushy- I am changing out the fluid to a new dot4 fluid (lucas)

3. Windows- Drivers and passengers are slow to come down- I will either buy new motors or clean and re assemble the originals. Does anyone have the part numbers for these?

4. Drivers side door seal looks a little worn out- id like to change this out

1. Notchy is normal, but I think it can be smoothed out with oil change.

2. Cant help

3. Known issue. The solution is to clean and repack the drive gears and there is a booster kit online for about $130 that also speeds up the process. But cleaning out the dried grease should be the first fix.

4. Normal wear item. I think member Kerrywittig(?) sells a reasonable alternative.

13. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013

Hi lear60man,

3. I'll try to clean and repack the drive gears. (is there a thread on the site on how to do this?)Do you know where I can find the booster kit for the windows?

4. I tried contacting Kerrywittg but have not heard back from him yet

Thank you
    GTTT

14. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mushy brakes: check the brake hoses

16. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Royal purple: this was in the trans when I bought my car, it would not downshift as it was so slippery the syncro rings would not work.
    Other folks here use redline or agip (do a search to check the grade).

Congratulations on the new car!
    Andrew

17. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
  18. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    I will definitely check the hoses.

Does anyone make a brake line upgrade?

Thank You!!

19. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you Andrew!, I use to dream about owning a Testarossa as a kid.

I read the thread about the trans fluids on the forum, from what I can recall some members were saying not to use redline because it was not g4 rated and the Agip was recommend by members. A couple of members said they had success with the royal purple 75w90 and it was g4 and g5 compatible. I can find the royal purple locally so I went with that option first and I hope it works well(fingers crossed). It seems like every car is different when it comes to the testarossa.

I will post the results of the fluid change

Thank you

GTTT

20. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm thinking you mean hose upgrades not line upgrades--yes, there are several vendors that offer steel braided hoses (I have not used them so can't offer any suggestions). I see them on ebay and sites like Superformance, Eurospares, etc. If you end up getting deeper (like caliper rebuilds) there are several posts in the archives that address this. As long as you are replacing brake fluid you should also purge the fluid out of the clutch (they share the same reservoir).

For door seals (just to clarify as there are several) are you talking about:
    1) Round seal with flocking on cabin that seals door to cabin
    2) Flat rubber seal sandwiched in window frame that seals window frame to cabin
    3) Flat fuzzy strip that seals window to door panel/card
    4) Flat rubber seal (in aluminum channel) that runs horizontal along top of door/base of window (fuzzy on inside)
    5) V-shaped rubber seal that is fastened on bottom of door
    6) Fuzzy seals that seal window glass inside door frame channel

LH window motor is PN 61510500 but as mentioned most can be significantly improved with disassembly, thorough clean and re-grease. Also window switch internal contact cleaning often helps. I did all that plus cleaned/re-greased all pulleys and cranks and added the Dickman modules (shortens the grounding path) and my windows operate smoothly and pretty quick (they weren't ever Honda quick, even when new)

For parts, create an icon on your desktop to Testarossa (1990) - Ricambi America, Inc. Whether you buy from them is up to you (Daniel is a great supporter/sponsor here on fChat) but the on-line reference is extremely helpful.

21. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Tim, thank you for the very helpful info.
    I'll post a pic of the seals as soon as I get the car back from the fluid change.

-I will look into the cleaning,rebuilding and re greasing the window motors
    and parts from Daniel as well

Best Regards,
    GTTT

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Agree with Tim regarding the window switches. The internal contacts can get gummed up. The 348 window switch is almost identical and can be had for less (ebay etc.). The lower portion is the same but the cover art on the rocker is different. So you can use the TR rocker portion of the button with the lower 348 switch.

23. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The window motor gears should be cleaned, and new synthetic grease used. Cleaning the contacts on the window switches really helps, also the improved grounding issue. I found the biggest improvement on shifting came from changing the shifter bushings on the rod thru the console. And readjusting the shifter linkage. Many are out of adjustment.

24. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you Lear60man for the helpful info.

Is there a thread with instructions on the window switches on this forum?

25. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013

Thank you for the info Ago car nut- any instructions for changing the shifter bushings and adjusting the linkage?

I ordered the workshop CD from ebay and have not received it yet- but I am hoping it is a comprehensive cd.