New BB & BBi cam pulleys | FerrariChat

New BB & BBi cam pulleys

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by derekw, Jan 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #1 derekw, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,

I am getting a group buy together for these 7075-T6 cam pulleys made. Options are type 3 anodised (bronze) or red type 2. From the 308 forum I have a few sets of bronze requested so far. No interest in the red but I may be able to get a couple of sets in red or black. I will ask them to add degree marks to the outer edge of the guide flanges and more holes to make timing setup easier. Price would be $320 per set of four plus post. Send me a pm if interested. Order will go in within 2 weeks and I'll ask for a token deposit.

I still have some 2V exhaust valves, 21-4N stainless with tufftride (black nitride) treatment. $12.50 each plus shipping. I also have some solid C95400 aluminium bronze wrist pin bushes for many Ferraris (107100) for $7.50 each. Left overs from my group buy for 308s.

cheers, derek
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #2 derekw, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I might get a couple of the pulley dowel holes made 9-10mm to take an eccentric pin and sleeve. This would allow about 10-12 degrees of adjustment with very little extra cost and complexity. The drive torque is usually not through the dowel pin but through the friction between the flange and the cam but the sleeve will be locked in place by the cam bolt head anyway. Anyone who doesn't want to play with the timing can just use the fixed holes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Last call for adjustable timing cam pulleys in bronze (type 3) anodised 7075 aluminium. Price will be US$325 incl. the adjustable dowel pin and sleeve in stainless steel. Shipping will be about $20 for USA/Canada, double that for elsewhere.

PM me if you want some.

4. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    guess i am missing what problem this is fixing?

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Hi, Some of the early cars had cam pulleys with plastic teeth/fences (which crack.) The adjustable dowel makes it easier to adjust the cam timing.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ive seen one boxer with plastic gears, it was a 78. I was surprised and changed it over to stock steel gears.

7. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Thanks Paul, So unless you want to play around with the cam timing I'd stick with the steel ones. THese were mainly a way to replace the old, cracking, plastic pulleys.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The originals (plastic or steel) are adjustable like yours.

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Good point. If anyone wants a pair of the eccentric dowel and sleeve, I am getting extra made-- $5 plus post. You can drill a 10mm OD hole on the same 38.2mm PCD as the other timing holes and you will get 9 degrees of adjustment. The pulleys will also have 360 degree marks on the "fence" and will have 10 x 6mm timing holes and two 10mm holes for the eccentric sleeve.

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    In case anyone with 2V heads needs some, I'm getting a few more cam pulleys made as there were more people who wanted them than the first order and I also need a set for another engine I'm building. The supplier has agreed to do both the standard 30 tooth trapezoidal cam pulleys and some Gates GT2 36 tooth pulleys with matching 24 tooth lower pulleys. The GT2 patent has recently expired. They will have 10 holes for the regular dowel pins (5 at 25 degrees apart and 5 at 26 degrees apart.) They will also have 10mm holes for the eccentric pin/sleeve for anyone who wants to adjust them 9 cam degrees or 18 crank degrees. Price will be $350 or €250 for four cam pulleys, $85 or €60 for two lower pulleys with GT2 teeth. Not sure if we will have enough to get both colours but for now assume they'll be black. The pins/sleeves will be €30 for a set of 4 pairs.

Email me if you want some derekrwhite at yahoodotcom and let me know which tooth type you want and if you want the adjustable pins/sleeves.

11. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hi Derek. I assume the GT2 belt with the shorter pitch and more teeth is supposed to be a stronger belt with longer service life than the conventional belts we use on Boxers etc. Any data to quantify this improvement?

12. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Sorry but I have no data on the service life of the GT2 belts on the boxer engine. You could probably stretch the belt change to well beyond 5 years as the stress concentrations on the round teeth are far lower. Nick's Forza suggests 9 years or 60k miles for their 3X8 kit and I recall reading somewhere on Fchat that the boxer 12 has better harmonics so lower belt stresses.

Someone asked me by email about the timing adjustment. You can either use the 10 fixed holes with the dowel peg as per the original pulley which had five holes at 25 degrees. These have 5 more holes at 26 degrees to improve the fine tuning of the timing. If you want to be able to adjust the timing with the pulleys in place, you can use the optional eccentric sleeves/pins in the 10mm holes to get 9 degrees of adjustment (turn the pin with a screwdriver.) Since the two 10mm holes are 174 degrees from each other (not 180 degrees) you can choose which holes fits your cam and setup best.