1985 TR front bumper ,help please | FerrariChat

1985 TR front bumper ,help please

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kiwifaza, Feb 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hi to all and thanks for reading this, I have an 85 mono TR that has had a Hamann front bumper fitted, i am returning it to stock but am a little confused as to how the front bumper/spoiler goes together, there doesn't appair to be any mounts for the spoiler ,and am concerned that perhaps, 1, i just don`t know what to look for as i ve not had one apart before, 2, perhaps the mounts were removed to fit the Hamann, either way i would love some advice and photos if you have them
    Regards Todd

2. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    The stock spoiler is mounted to the chassis at 5 points. On each side there are 2 stud plates, I guess you could call them, glassed about 14" apart in the into the upper lip and pointing downward. These studs are slid into U-shaped tangs welded to the frame and bolted on using washers and nuts. In the center of the spoiler there's a wider area on the top lip that has a hole and is through bolted to the frame mount for it.
    Can't post pics as I've reached my quota on here but if you want a couple pics of the stud plates PM me your email addr.
    Also the 3 front under belly pans bolt onto the lower lip and adds to the mounting rigidity.

3. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    thanks to you both, very helpful indeed, and very much appreciated
    Kind regards Todd

4. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I also need to straighten out mine. It appears a mounting point on the side of spoiler is broken, man do the pictures help visualize the setup clearly. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and comments. Mark

5. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Hey Tim, was the bottom plate of your car riveted into the fiberglass spoiler? If so any pictures how many rivets?

Cheers

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No they aren't. The center and left under panels are riveted to each other and the chassis. The left under panel is screwed on with sheet metal screws to the chassis so it can be removed for access to the A/C condenser. None are screwed or riveted to the spoiler as they came from the factory.

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #8 302Tim, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On my (1988.5) car there aren't rivets but rather button-head Phillips sheet metal screws and flat washers. The metal panels lay on top of the spoiler bottom lip so in reality the screws just pass through holes in the spoiler and screw into the panels (sandwiching the spoiler between). On my last fiberglass repair I ended up glassing over a few of the holes so I need to re-drill the spoiler and re-attach the screws. Because of that I'm not sure the exact number of screws--there are definitely three along each side (see photo of LH panel that goes under A.C. condenser) and I think maybe 3-4 along the front...I'll look tonight. I believe the screw and washer configuration is original/correct on (at least) my car. These same type screws also attach the other edge of the condenser panel shown in the photo to the chassis on the opposite edge (10 screws). Also, the center and RH front underbody panels are riveted to the chassis (but screwed to the spoiler as described above).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #9 jgmblair, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the reply guys. I'm amazed every time I work on my car how stupid and idiotic some of the crap is that I find. Who in their right mind would think it's easier to rivet this thing on instead of using sheet metal screws. Drilled out the rivets, slowly trying to clean and return things back to how it left the factory, no simple task!

9. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yes, like Brian stated that panel was designed to be removable while the center and RH panels weren't. Hopefully they didn't hog out the holes too much for the rivets and you will be able to find sheet metal screws without going oversize. I can measure one of my screws if it will help.

10. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Thxs Tim if you could post the screw size that would be great. Also, in the picture you posted of the removable access panel, where do the bottom 3 holes in that picture attach to?

Jeff

11. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'll measure & photo the screws when I get home.

The bottom 3 holes (in the picture) are the ones that go along (through) the LH side of the spoiler. On the condenser panel along the other side (top in the picture) the most forward screw also goes through the spoiler in the front. There is a similar screw hole on the RH (fixed) underbody panel that goes through the spoiler on the RH front. So I have three along each side and (at least) two in the front for a total of 8 screws--but I'm still thinking there are one or two more in the front--I'll look again tonight.

12. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The OEM screws pictured in post #8 measure 17mm long by 4.65 wide (those measurements are not including the head, just the threaded portion). The flat washer is 15.2mm OD X 5.41 ID. (didn't measure the thickness, duh). None of the TR SPCs show PNs for those screws.

I also need to recant a statement I made earlier about the screws in my spoiler--I recalled they were the same size screws as above but in reality they are smaller diameter and longer in length. Washers appear to be same/similar. I thought this was the factory configuration but after reading Brian's post apparently not and they were added by a PO at some point. I researched a bit on line and found some photos of spoilers that had similar screws and others that didn't so more than my car at least had them (added). Poking around underneath last night I did notice those panels fit tightly and don't flop around (none of my "extra" screws are currently installed) so I think if you replace the rivets along the inboard edge of the condenser panel with screws you will be in a factory configuration. Hope this helps....

13. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Is the Hamann bumper available for sale? Is it in good condition?

14. GTTT

GTTT Karting

Sep 7, 2013
    Sent Pm kiwifaza to a while back about purchasing the bumper and for pictures and I never got a response back.

GTTT

15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    :(