512tr vs 993 tt Video | FerrariChat

512tr vs 993 tt Video

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dinos, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dinos

dinos Karting

Jan 6, 2013
    Athens - Greece
    Full Name:
    Dinos
  2. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I watched this the other day, its fun...

3. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Doug is a fun guy. He will be posting a testarossa video within the next month.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Does he have the strenght of a tiny girl? The steering and clutch are not that hard. I wonder if he ever drove a Pantera. THAT IS HARD.

5. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    LOL...the funniest thing was him pointing out the latch on the 993 glove box. I was so sad that he did not discover what the center button did on the Ferrari. Talk about the best glove box in any car (and he didn't even know what he was missing)

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Holy crap,the deer at the end. You can almost hear him soiling his pants!

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    he is evidently a ferrari novice. he goes on and on about how difficult the 512tr is to drive....i consider it one of my easier cars to drive - better not get him into the 512bbi !
    then he thinks 20 years old is vintage?! my daily drivers are nearly that old. typical of millenials tho i guess, where anything older than last week is passe.

this video reminded me of an episode with one of my friends....he was a hard core porsche only guy and he had exactly that 993 turbo in silver. i had recently picked up exactly that 512tr, but in red. and we were on our way from london to some race track somewhere for a track day. well we essentially raced each other all the way there. he was ahead, and i was always behind since i did not know the way, but he was always trying to leave me in the dust - never happened. i was always glued to his bumper. when we got there he came over to me astonished, that despite the size of the 512 i was able to keep up with him. then we parked the cars and went to the briefing. when we came out, there was a crowd around my car, and not a single person around his - that kind of irked him.
    then we spent part of the day in a 355, and that was the last straw.

a month later he had sold the porsche and bought a 355.

the power of ferrari!

8. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Great story Ross!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    When there's any doubt, just press the damn button!!

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    +1

Man that was a close one.

11. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    LOL! I think he was scared some little Mario lookin dude was gonna pop out and chew his ass for pushing it.

12. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    This guy should hit the gym maybe once a week! Good God stop complaining and just have fun!!

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    ross
    have your friend with the porsche and you with the ferrari have been also on the track? then he would get much more larger eyes :)

nice story

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think i let him drive the 512tr once. he liked it, but took the 355, and then he bought a 550.

most people dont think of the 512tr as a car that would be fast around a track, and frankly it is not a track weapon. but it can hold its own, and catches up if the straights are long enough !

15. TestaLA

TestaLA Karting

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you haven't driven a Testarossa or 512 the clutch and gear shift can be jarring. He was playing it up a little for the video but honesty pull someone who has never driven one and they will think it's broken. Meanwhile we all just skip 2nd for a bit and love the sound of the gated shifting. As for the power steering or lack there of, it's tough at low speeds and dreadful at standstill, I don't care how much you hit the gym.

PS- it's the better car of the 2 of course....by a mile ;)

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Exactly! I hate the dead, overboosted steering in most cars today. The steering and the clutch pedal effort in a TR are heavy, but they're nowhere close to as difficult to operate as he makes them out to be.

17. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Everything is light and easy in todays cars. Youngers have no clue of what is hard to drive. As soon as there is a small effort to be put in doing something they complain. Put them behind the wheel of an old truck with no power steering and no power brakes a hard clutch and a two speed rear axle. The TR is a relaxing task.

18. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I used to have a 82 FJ40, its been in the family since then and I daily drove it in 2015 & 2016.

No power steering was a nice drive.

19. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    What a great video! Fred Savage did a great job on this, kept my interest through the whole thing. :)

20. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    When he drove the testarossa he had an easier time. He said that the clutch was lighter and the steering was a bit lighter. His view changed a bit. He liked it a lot.

21. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I don't think Doug really had that hard a time of the steering and clutch, but made it out to be soooo hard to give people who have never driven anything like it a sense for how "manual", how "analog" it is.

What I really enjoyed was how he "got it". The feel and the sound. It's like watching Harry Metcalfe in his video when he winds it out and hears the sound. He's grinning ear-to-ear.

Somebody said Doug was going to do a Testarossa video soon. I'm really looking forward to it.

G

22. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L