Pre Purchase Questions on early Swiss Testarossa 86 | FerrariChat

Pre Purchase Questions on early Swiss Testarossa 86

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Martiniwit, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martiniwit

Martiniwit Rookie

Jul 10, 2015
    Bavaria :)
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Hi folks!
    I am having my hands on an early swiss flying mirror model. Now as far as my researches go I found out that early swiss versions have no cat but different manifolds, gearbox and a specific air injection system (into the exhaust system?). And they have the KE Jetronic instead of K Jetronic. They were delivered with non-TRX tires and a different horn.
    Do you agree or do you know about other differences?
    Are there real differences in engine/exhaust sound to Europe versions although it hast no cats?
    Now the example i am considering also has different rims. Owners says they are GTO rims. They look like the "monodado" but have this nut-circle... ;)
    The question is: Could it be that they were a factory/dealer option? I´ve seen TR prototypes that have these mounted, too. How much do monodados cost to exchange?
    Thanks for your opinions! Youre very welcome to share other thoughts on it! :)
    Martin

2. TRCo

TRCo Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Tim
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Swiss cars were built to pass the most stringent noise level standards in the world.

Installing GTO wheels was a common modification in those days done by dealers when the wheels were available and cheap. They are now neither.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    would be great if you could fill out your profile first and introduce yourself a little
    that would help you here much to get more information and also the other members
    thank you

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Martin -- Could you please post a picture of the engine family marking (F113...) if you can? I can't recall ever seeing the early Swiss one being posted.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Witch country are you in or do you want to import the TR in ?

7. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I have an early Swiss Testarossa and it sounds great! It's actually Swedish specification which I believe is the same as Swiss but with the addition of headlight jets (yes really!).

I haven't spent enough recent time with a Euro TR to comment on the difference regarding noise compared to the Swiss version, but from my own experience I doubt you will be disappointed or feel you are missing out.

David

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    David, please show us photos of the jets ! :)

9. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    #9 Ramboy, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go! Fitted in Sweden when new (legal requirement). Fortunately the TR managed to get a dispensation for a single door mirror (two mirrors was also a legal requirement...).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Fitted oem by Ferrari Italy or by F Sweden if you know ?

11. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    They were fitted by Ferrari Sweden when they arrived - I once saw a photo of them being fitted but can't find it now.

12. Martiniwit

Martiniwit Rookie

Jul 10, 2015
    Full Name:
    Martin
    #12 Martiniwit, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Oh sorry, sure, I am 36, and from bavaria, self-employed. I already have two 308 GT4s, but one will have to leave, when I find the right Testa. There are also two porsches in my garage... one `75 the other `78.

So thanks a lot for your replys so far! I will post a pic of the engine marking next.
    The testarossa i am considering is already in Germany since 10 years or so. I will testdrive it as soon as the weather heats up a bit, maybe next weekend. :)

13. Martiniwit

Martiniwit Rookie

Jul 10, 2015
    Full Name:
    Martin
  14. Martiniwit

Martiniwit Rookie

Jul 10, 2015
    Full Name:
    Martin
    David, good to hear that, thanks! the TR I was looking at is an early VIN and therefore must be monospecchio according to the numbers on redheaded.com. But it actually was changed to two low mirrors. Could it be that two mirrors was a legal requirement in Switzerland back then and was changed before delivery? Otherwise it must have been done later on behalf of the then owner.

It doesnt have headlight jets at least! ;)

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thanks very much for posting it. Do you know if your engine injection system is K-Jet (no ECUs over RR wheel well) or KE-Jet (does have two ECUs mounted over RR wheel well in the engine bay)? Alternatively, a photo of the engine bay would do ;) (Appreciate the help - just wanting to understand what configuration these early "S" TR have as I've seen conflicting information.)

16. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Martin - no I don't think that the TR you are looking at would have been converted to two low mirrors when new, much more likely it was done later on. Not impossible to convert back to monospeccio, and somewhat easier to drive with the two mirrors...
    Mine (#66497) was one of the last monospeccios manufactured - in September 1986. It is the last of 5 monospeccios sold new in Sweden, and the only one of the five with non-metric wheels.

David