Passed! | FerrariChat

Passed!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by George Vosburgh, Feb 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Next Lot Previous Lot

1983 Ferrari BB 512i
    Lot Number: 134 PASSED
    High Bid: $375,000.00 by onsite
    Convert Currency
    Make: Ferrari
    Model: 512 BBI
    Year: 1983
    Mileage - KM: 33,181
    VIN: ZFFJA09B000044993
    Exterior Color: White
    Interior Color: Crema with Red Zegna wool inserts
    Early exotic supercar with modern conveniences The BB 512i represents a milestone. BB models were Ferrari’s first production cars to be powered by a rear mounted 12 cylinder and the last to be bodied by the legendary Sergio Scaglietti. The “i” model represents the final iteration of the Berlinetta Boxer series and is acknowledged to be the most tractable. With low mileage recorded, the advantages of late production and unique color and trim, this Ferrari will find favor with discriminating collectors and those who will enjoy piloting an important Ferrari supercar on a regular basis. This Car’s Past All Berlinetta Boxers were Eurospec. Ferrari did not see the need to go through the rigorous process of US certification for a vehicle of limited production, especially with a ready coterie of buyers whose number far exceeded the number of BB’s to be built. Nonetheless, American buyers clamored for the supercar and a few like this one were brought in new and went through the process of DOT/EPA certification. The Ferrari’s buyer was a Californian and necessarily the car was certified for that state’s even more stringent standards. All BB’s came equipped with comfort features such as air conditioning and power windows. This Ferrari is unusual in retaining its original specification, functioning Pioneer Radio and Equalizer. In addition to books, manuals, tools and much paperwork documenting emissions and DOT certification, accompanying the Boxer is an original brochure detailing the Ermenegildo Zegna wool inserts used in this car’s crema interior for ”even better comfort, eliminating the inevitable build-up of heat from seats totally covered in leather.” History of The Model Ferrari had long expressed reluctance to introduce mid-engine design to the driving public. A motor amidships was the optimal platform for his racers but deemed unsafe for street use. The success of the Lamborghini Miura seemed to change the opinions of Enzo and others. Ferrari’s first entry was the Dino; mid-engine “8’s” and “twelves” soon followed the 6 cylinder model. Bringing twelve cylinders to the rear of the Ferrari required a low profile powerplant. Ferrari had developed a flat-12 for the 1970 F1 season. It powered the 312 B which Jackie Ickx drove to three wins and second place in the drivers championship and provided inspiration and a framework for a production model. The prototype 365 GTB4 Berlinetta Boxer debuted at the 1971 Turin Auto show and a customer model soon followed. In 1976, subtle changes in styling, an increase in displacement and compression, and a dry sump system accompanied the re-badging of the car as the BB 512. In 1981, a Bosch K Jetronic fuel injection was introduced. Torque was increased and the “i” model represented a welcome improvement in overall driveability. Preservation History This Berlinetta Boxer is said to have spent much of its life as a revered family possession being passed between generations. It recently emerged from approximately 20 years in climatized storage and a fabulous restoration has been performed under the direction of the present consignor. The exterior was taken to bare metal and neither rust nor significant imperfection found. A professional respray, and replacement of interior carpets, panels, headrests, and seat foam and covers were accomplished. Replacement Zegna wool inserts were found for the Connolly leather clad seats. Fluids were changed, spark plugs replaced, and the powerplant tuned. New Michelin TRX’s were mounted and a thorough road test executed by a noted Ferrari expert of more than three decades. He found it a pleasure to drive and pronounced the throttle and suspension response to be as new. Summary With exotic styling and flat 12 power, the BB 512i represents all the mystique and performance of Ferrari in a presentation that embraces driver convenience and comfort.
    Translate
    Sync Catalog

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I dont understand

3. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

The high bid was $375,000 which was below the reserve. That's a heck of a reserve!

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Ahab looking for the great white whale.

It's good to want.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Prices back up then?

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Much to early to tell. If owners won't let them go below 375, then that is the new set price it would seem. However, buyers will dictate the market, they will only pay what they think it is worth. A bit of a shift is happening.

7. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The Finest Auction has yet to gain any credibility in the market. More of a glorified eBay auction.

8. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    They sure do take a lot of purdy pictures.

9. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I don't think there ever was a bid of 375k - that was just the opening minimum bid required. Of course, no one bid that as i don't think the market is there for this particular car. I don't even think the market would be at that level for my car which just received platinum at Cavallino this year, has the factory luggage, and is Classiche certified.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So no actual bids anywhere near that price?

In which case mine is a No sale at 500K.

11. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

It's more like a fishing expedition than an auction.