need photo of stock 512 bbi gas cap | FerrariChat

need photo of stock 512 bbi gas cap

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by meandmyredcorvette, Feb 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. meandmyredcorvette

meandmyredcorvette Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Can somebody please post a photo of their stock 512 bbi gas cap. I have a keyed ferrari gas cap and the lock does not work. I recently purchased my 512 bbi and when I went to put gas in car I could not get cap off as I do not have a key for the lock. I guess I could either rekey or drill lock out

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

#2 4right, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I thought he did. I received the ignition key and a smaller key that I thought was for the gas tank until I went to fill it up and it did not fit in the lock. Can you post photo of your key so I can compare to the one I have.

4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mine doesnt have a lock. i would contact the seller to determine where the key is.

5. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Mine has the lock for a key, but twists off without using a key. Without using too much pressure you might (if not already done so) try unscrewing it.

6. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I tried twisting off but am afraid to over twist. I guess at this point I may just try forcing it off as I have to get gas in my car.

7. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Isn't the lock located under your ferrari emblem?

8. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    If it's locked the cap will spin freely and not come off
    If it's unlocked you will feel resistance when you turn so I suspect your cap is actually unlocked. Give it some more pressure. I'm sure there is a rubber seal so you have to overcome the friction of that.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on my BB ( carb ) the cap when locked can not be turned, but I think I have an aftermarket cap?

10. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    When the gas cap is locked, the cap turns freely and is not removable.

If the cap does not turn freely then it is not locked but can be very difficult to turn/remove...I know this from experience with my own '84 BBi.

If and when you get it off, ArmorAll the inside rubber gasket by removing it and then soaking it in the ArmorAll. Not only does this help preserve the rubber, it makes it easier to turn the cap.

Also, apply some never seize compound to the threads too as corrosion can take place on the threads.

11. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Went up to the garage with a set of channel locks and sure enough it just needed some elbow grease.

Thanks for everyones help! I can now fill my car up and start enjoying her again.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ugh! Channel locks on an unobtainable gas cap....

13. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Wrapped it up heavily with masking tape. No fuss No Muss. I do realize the rarity of these parts and would never do anything that would ruin their integrity. I have been collecting exotics for years and although I do drive my cars I respect them.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Yikes, when was gas last put in that car or did someone crossthread the cap. Anyway, it now will get a drink of some fresh gas. Drive the snots out of it, the weekend looks great.

15. meandmyredcorvette

Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2014
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Car has been driven. Gas is not stale. I have only had the car a few months and it had a full tank when I got the car from the dealer. Whoever put the gas cap on last after filling the car simply overtightened it. I could have probably could have loosed it with a good nudge as it hardly took any effort to remove with channel lock. Loosened relatively easily. I just had no idea if it was locked and did not want to put any excessive pressure on it on my first attempt until it was confirmed by this thread that it was indeed unlocked. Then I had no reservations of removing it with a little force.