Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > Boxers/TR/M

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat_plane_eddie View Post
Regarding 911 controls, my 993 was pretty standard but my dad's 87 911 has some weird heater switches in-between the seats. Like that old school German stuff from the 60s and 70s. I never really bothered learning how they work.
Some of the air cooled 911s (can't remember which ones, but IIRC in the SC and/or Carrera 3.2 era) had a mixture of manual seat controls and electric buttons on the sides of the seats. Seems like you used a lever under the front of the seat for the fore/aft adjustment and push buttons for other adjustments. It was definitely as Byzantine as the TR seat adjustments but back then only MB really had the seat adjustment control thing figured out. He makes a much bigger deal about this sort of thing being unique to Italian cars than he would if he had a wider range of experience with sports cars.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartboy1234 View Post
I posted the link in another thread but that's my car. It has the Capistro exhaust with hyperflow cats on it. I'm glad people liked the video, he had a lot of fun with it.
Sounds great! Thanks for letting him drive your car. He definitely had nothing but love for it.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Gordon
Doug's "demographic" are younger people who are not familiar with older sports cars or with higher end current sports cars. There are an awful lot of "reviewers" these days on YouTube and so many of them have their baseball caps on sideways and their pants down around their knees and some tatoos on the necks. I'm amazed at anybody giving them Lambos and Ferraris, but they do. Doug injects a lot of humor into his videos. We shouldn't get defensive when he notes that the side strakes look weird when the doors are open. No other car ever made had that, so it's really not odd that he notes it. And, you have to love his describing the controls as a whack-a-mole setup. You have to remember that he's in love with the Testarossa despite all the things that are unusual to younger people brought up on computerized nanny-state cars. His conclusion that there should be other measures for describing how good sports cars are other than speed is really insightful for a young guy... Even for some older guys I know.

G
Old 02-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Michael L
Doug is very down to earth. If he didn't talk about some of the quirks then he would just be another reviewer. He does some wacky things with his cars. He seemed like a fun guy so I reached out to him for the video. He is a car guy, he has had a CTS v wagon, AMG wagon, Ferrari 360, Aston vantage, hummer h1, Nissan skyline, a viper, and some other things. He loves cars and loves reviewing them. Anyone can record a video of themselves spouting off the specs and how fast a car is, but that would be boring.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Joe
I was surprised to see the owner of the grey TR he was reviewing didn't spring for a new cigarette lighter!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: James in Denver
Just an FYI, Doug IS a member here...

Not sure when he last logged on...

Also, he's review appears to be somewhat "tongue in cheek" as he KNOWS about Fcars, I think ALL his reviews are a bit melodramatic.

I saw the one he did recently on the VW Thing, hilllllllarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpissm View Post
I was surprised to see the owner of the grey TR he was reviewing didn't spring for a new cigarette lighter!
You certainly can ask him, he posted just above you!

James in Denver

EDIT TO ADD:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/members/42072.html

Doug's profile, I think...

Last edited by James in Denver; 02-17-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Denver View Post

You certainly can ask him, he posted just above you!
Ah! Small World! Ok, what's the deal?
Old 02-17-2017, 11:56 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: James
He missed the best part if the strakes. That they are alternating thicknesses to look the same thickness when viewing from the side. An optical illusion.

The slow windows had me laughing out loud.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Kenny K
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
yeah....

we need to be "walking on eggshells".

wouldn't want to hurt Doug's sensitive nature.
Nice attitude. Don't need to walk on eggshells. Can't you just have a little sense of humor? Geeze...
Old 02-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tim
So...i am intrigued now. Minor thing but he makes a point of pushing the up button and the windows go down. If I push the up on mine the windows do indeed go up. Which is normal?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prova85 View Post
Nice attitude. Don't need to walk on eggshells. Can't you just have a little sense of humor? Geeze...
I'll try....

Old 02-17-2017, 04:25 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Claude Laforest
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCo View Post
So...i am intrigued now. Minor thing but he makes a point of pushing the up button and the windows go down. If I push the up on mine the windows do indeed go up. Which is normal?
Just inverted wires. Amazing how some of the mechanics that work on these cars are careless. How can you finish a job and leave it like this?

This point also show how this guy know nothing about cars. He's just having fun driving them and making comments.

Last edited by godabitibi; 02-17-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brian White
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartboy1234 View Post
I posted the link in another thread but that's my car. It has the Capistro exhaust with hyperflow cats on it. I'm glad people liked the video, he had a lot of fun with it.
Same color combo as my 400i 5-speed. Grey looks great on a TR....esp with red.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by godabitibi View Post
This point also show how this guy know nothing about cars. He's just having fun driving them and making comments.
Yeah, Doug is a bit annoying. I don't get some of his flabbergasted expressions on things that don't quite deserve the reaction. Why did he spend time talking about how the mousetrap seatbelts are an "Italian car quirk"? I mean come on man. No labels on the door handles? Come on...

Great to see and hear a grey on red TR though!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwhite View Post
Yeah, Doug is a bit annoying. ... Why did he spend time talking about how the mousetrap seatbelts are an "Italian car quirk"? I mean come on man. ....
keep in mind... the mouse seatbelts have nothing to do with 'Italian' anything, let alone quirks.

automatic restraints were mandated by US law.

but...
don't burst Doug's life in Happyland.

rgds,
Vincenzo

Wikipedia:
"In 1984, the Reagan Administration reversed its course,[48] though in the meantime the original deadline had been extended; Elizabeth Dole, then Transportation Secretary, proposed that the two passive safety restraints be phased into vehicles gradually, from vehicle model year 1987 to vehicle model year 1990, when all vehicles would be required to have either automatic seat belts or driver side air bags."
Old 02-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
keep in mind... the mouse seatbelts have nothing to do with 'Italian' anything, let alone quirks.

automatic restraints were mandated by US law.
"
Yes, I knew that.....I thought everyone knew that. My 92 Corrado had them when I had it back in 95. (only car I've ever owned with them actually..) Hence, I'm not sure what Doug was thinking by even going down that route in the video. Wasn't even funny.

Anyway. Again, beautiful car...
Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwhite View Post
Yes, I knew that.....I thought everyone knew that. My 92 Corrado had them when I had it back in 95. (only car I've ever owned with them actually..) Hence, I'm not sure what Doug was thinking by even going down that route in the video. Wasn't even funny.

Anyway. Again, beautiful car...
ummmmm....
apparently everybody knows - EXCEPT Doug

agreed - the car looks GREAT.

cheers,
vincenzo
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:

agreed - the car looks GREAT.
... except for that missing cigarette lighter!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prova85 View Post
Seriously, for someone calling everyone else too sensitive he sure seems sensitive about what a random guy on the internet thinks about his car...
Old 02-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Typical millennial...

Doug would be better off in a Camry.

Rgds,
Vincenzo
Nah. His videos are good.
Non-Sponsor Ads