Looking to purchase one of the 512TRs | FerrariChat

Looking to purchase one of the 512TRs

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 1997spider, Feb 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1997spider

1997spider Karting

Nov 18, 2014
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Alex
  2. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Both are great examples, I like the one with the red carpets very unique

3. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I like the NJ car and have heard they will entertain offers below $200,000. I actually thought about buying this car before deciding on an 87 TR.

4. mhiroshima

mhiroshima Rookie

Sep 10, 2007
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Michael Hiroshima
    We have a Ferrari 512TR 1992 Red Tan 5,100 miles with Luggage, Clear front mask, all manuals, service records and 31,000 extensive
    major service Belts, all hoses, detail engine all interior black trim redone, that was done at Ferrari Newport Beach 2015 Brian Cockal can substantiate 714 662 7600.
    asking 275,000. Michael 714 425 8995

5. randomlambo

randomlambo Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2013
    RI & MA border
    Full Name:
    DT
    Did these drop in price?

Weren't 512TRs upwards of $3-400K a short while ago?

6. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Maybe the '94 or the M but I doubt the 512TR reached those heights with any sustainability

7. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #7 Enzo Belair, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks fantastic. I'm a fan.

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I also prefer the red carpet.

10. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    I bought the 93 in August of 2008. It was a well sorted car but it did not have a good service history. I gave the car what I call a complete Gucci. She was a Platinum winner at the 2009- 20014 Cavallinos. She also was a multiple Platinum, winner at the same years for the FCA Nationals. I removed the catalytic converters and cleaned out the pre-cats. I did all the simple maintenance- oil, brake fluid, anti freeze,spark plugs. The car did have a hot start problem that I was never able to resolve. Everything had been painted on the exterior except for the roof and passenger rear fender. I did not paint the car and it was finished with a clear coat. Therefore it had no chips or visible damage. I traded the car to Top Gear, New Jersey. They traded the car to Ferrari of Central New Jersey. I do not think it was privately owned since my ownership. All in all she is a good car. The red carpet is what turned my head to buy her.

11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I see you have 38 posts. Are you aware of the inherent problems of the 512TR? Don't get me wrong, I love this model! You know about the sticky switches? The carrier gear? The belt service?

12. 1997spider

1997spider Karting

Nov 18, 2014
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Alex

Thanks for all the feedback, I too am a sucker for the red carpets. So the NJ dealer sent me an email that the car has ZERO paintwork and that it is all original. Go figure...... I really want one with little to no paintwork. One would think you could trust a ferrari dealer in this day and age of on-line transparency. I will have to do some more research. Thanks for the heads up also on the hot start.

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    its possible the dealer doesn't now - some guys just measure the paint and can't tell by looking if it has been painted, or they can choose to ignore it.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I agree with ttforcefed. A well done repaint can be sometimes very or almost impossible to tell. My TR looked like it had never been repainted. Me and others that looked at it very carefully and with knowledge all thought it was never painted. A well known local Ferrari shop who knew the car because he had worked on it in the past told me it was repainted. Is he wrong or right I don't know.
    We came to the conclusion that if it was repainted it was SO WELL done it was exactly like factory and even with a paint thickness gauge we couldn't tell. We compared all the masking area and black trimming edges with a non repainted car and everything was exact.

So does it change anything to the car? In my opinion no! It's up to you.

If Capt. Rich hadn't chime in with all the info you could have bought the car and be very happy with it because you wouldn't know.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  16. Modena-fer

Modena-fer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    MIAMI
    Full Name:
    Alex
    If you need new wheels I have a set virtually brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. SocialBee

SocialBee Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 29, 2015
    New Jersey
    Best advice is to get a PPI done. Try Fonz at J. Scuderia Automotive he's done quite a few PPI at that dealership in Edison for friends of mine. Contact him at 732-474-8340.

18. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    I will chime in again. I forgot to mention that I had the rear wheels re-shot. A good job. As Claude said a good paint job is not that big a deal. The car is 23 years old with 18,000 miles and it shows like new. When I owned the car there were no paint chips on body panels or wheels.

19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Yes Scott, I love the red also!