To quote the guy... "A very bad idea"... | FerrariChat

To quote the guy... "A very bad idea"...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Feb 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

That's mk_e's incredible project. He's been here and on FLife as well, and has his own forum now. Motec were nickel & diming him for every feature he needed, so he changed ECU's to the AEM version of EngineLab, wrote his own software, and is in the early stages of test firing it.

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wow, he's ambitious alright!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    +1
    😱

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think it will be a pretty cool motor but the 308 is just not the right car for it.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hope he got rid of that 400 cam drive chain.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #7 Rifledriver, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    Probably cut 40lbs off the motor. I'd like to see the finished product but Id rather see it in something else. A modern 250LM kind of thing.

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I wasn't smart enough to change that.

It runs basically runs now.....still a lot of tuning but all the major systems seem to be working. It should be 900-950hp once its sorted.

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    More like $500 and $1000 me to death.....i had an M150 and deiced it would be cheaper to just drop it in the trash and buy something else rather than buy all the little add-ons i needed......the ecu was $3800 but it would have been $10k - $15k before it was working right. The enginelab setup is $3k and will do anything i could want.....motec makes nice stuff but it's very expensive.

10. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Are you tracking your progress somewhere new? I noticed the Motec thread stopped a while ago?

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I stopped posting there when i ditched the motec...seemed wrong to talk about other ecus on there forum.

I post here now:
    gemellocattivo.com ? View topic - FrankenFerrari - V12 ferrari 308 part 3

Its mostly done at this point....tuning and debugging

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Congratulations to you, though, for getting to this point. Hiccups, which are to be expected, aside, I think your accomplishments are impressive. Certainly fun to watch the progress.

CW

13. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    What are the issues with that chain drive BTW?

I've hear issues mentioned a couple times over the years but never heard what they are.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Chain is so long it has a short life and over that life due to the length it changes cam timing a lot. Early versions had some tensioner problems but by the end those had been solved.

I have seen them so stretched that during a clutch job a shop turned the motor backwards. Without slipping a tooth the cam timing changed so much that during the rotation it bent all 24 valves. Took us a bit to figure out what happened.

15. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    You have quite the ambition and patience! Really cool project, I wish you all the luck with it as I'm looking forward to the end product.

You definitely like to challenge yourself though :D

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when the tensioner is not ok then it could be that the chain will slipp/jump a tooth or more. but if no slipp/jump and the tensioner is ok there never could be bent even 1 valve. if the tensioner is not ok then all valve may be bent when the engine is turned otherwise. but this you may feel when turning the crankshaft and after the first or the second valve you would stop rotating

17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks.

The issue I've struggle with the the damn engine not turning backwards at all or only backward. When Ifirst aseembled it it would only turn backwards. I took it all apart and found nothing then put it all back together and it would only turn forward., Back apart, nothing, back together, only forward. I have no idea what's going on but that is no issue when the chain is off wiht either the crank or cams so its a chain issue

It was real bugger to assemble as in my setup the engine needs to be on the trans before the timing cover goes on so whan I had to pull the heads I decided to alter the setup a little so Ican remover the the chain drive with the cover (I put 3 holes int he cover to get to the bolts). This is WAY easier to install and I know for sure exactly how the chain is routed....and still the damn thing would only turn forward.

Now after its run a little (3-5 minture I guess) it still won't turn backward and somehting feels very wrong going forward.....like the chain is stupid tight or something....notching feel like like the sprocket teeth fighting to go into the chain.

18. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The tensioner is spring loaded so the chain won't slap when the engine is running forward, but has a take-up screw with jam nut that needs to be adjusted manually to prevent the spring from compressing rather than cams moving on reverse rotation. I could easily believe you could be out 1-2 cam teeth if the chain is stretch to the limit of the adjuster and the nut not adjusted.

I very cleverly buried the adjuster screw behind the alternator on my setup while insisting everything would fit in a too small space.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nope, not at all true.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Whatever that is you need to figure that out. Never had an issue like that and it is for sure not normal.

21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I didn't figure it was but is what promted the question about known issues.

I kept thinking the chain was looping or skipping a link under the drive gear where I couldn't really see it or something like that but I've dont the assemble 1/2 dozen times in different ways with no change other than the first time when it reversed directions.....I think I fed the chain in backwards that first time and haven't since.......don't know but for sure it feels awful now and I'm not sure why and have no idea what exactly is causing it.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Any chance it is only on one row on one of the sprockets?

With the chain covers off at the heads run a bore scope down there and see what you can see. I can think of no reason for it to do that unless the chain is mechanically fouling something.

23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    No chance. I looked in with the tensioner off and all was right. tensioner back on and it won't turn backwards. I gave up.

I couldn't find anything last time and gave up...but It seems to be time for another look. I need to know why it feels the way it feels now and everything is modified in one way or another and then it's packed so tight it really could be anything with teeth....starter gear hitting something, starter drive stuck (it a gear reduction starter), something wrong with my modded drop gears, or the timing chain. My first thought was of a clutch slipping....load, more load, a little more load..pop it jumps maybe 10 degrees give or take and seems about the same every jump on both load and distance. Really weird.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oh. I had assumed it was already narrowed down to just the motor.

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    He mentioned earlier that its fine both directions with the chain off.