512 TR fuel base pressure | FerrariChat

512 TR fuel base pressure

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Rob'Z, Mar 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hello all. As many of you know Ferraridatabase is no longer working. I am working on a '92 512 with about 15k miles.

The car is running on only the 1-6 bank.

A quick shot of tarting fluid down the 7-12 bank caused it to hit on all 12.

Swapped fuel pump relays and the 1-6 bank continued to run.

I disconnected the fuel line from the rail and powered up the 7-12 pump, it took almost 3 seconds for fuel to come out of the unrestricted hose and then it was barely more than a trickle. New fuel filters.

I'd like to hook up a pressure gauge to the port on the fuel rail but I want to know the acceptable pressure range first. I'm guessing around 45-55psi. I'm assuming it'll read about 10 at the moment.

Plan is to replace both pumps because flow on 1-6 seemed to be down as well but I want to be sure by checking the pressure.

I'm looking for key ON/engine OFF pressure or engine idling with vacuum lines disconnected from regulators to isolate the pump(s).

Thank you very much.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The 512TR WSM has the regulated fuel pressure as 3.4 +/- 0.2 bar at normal idle (it does vary some with applied manifold vacuum, but seems you are way far away from worrying about any such trivialities ;)).

The capacity (delivery at zero pressure) is given as "at least 1.0~1.3 litre in 30 sec" (at 11V minimum).

If the electrical system is working, this thread should probably have what you'll be dealing with as it seems to be trouble for all the models using the early "submerged" design:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/489961-348-1995-f355-owners-you-concerned-about-5.html

Good Hunting!

3. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thank you very very much Steve. This knowledge will be put to use tomorrow morning. I very much appreciate it.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Always would be interested to learn/know what you find/fix -- so please add to this thread.

Couldn't agree more with you that losing Ferraridatabase was just a crushing tragedy for us...

5. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I will be sure to come back and post my findings for future reference.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  7. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    So I performed a static fuel pressure test with the engine off.

1-6 bank was shooting past 70 but I had a leak at the tester so I shut it down before seeing the max pressure.

7-12 was 2. 2psi. Lol.

I dropped the left tank and when I removed the pump assembly of course the rubber mounting gasket has disintegrated. What a mess!

I think the pump is actually OZ though. The reason for the extremely low pressure was the fact that the hose connecting from the pressure out port on the pump to the feed line in the bulkhead was cracked at the barb and not sealing. This would mean it could not build pressure and the fuel is showering back into the tank.

New pumps and a newly designed mounting solution will be taking place tomorrow.

8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I went through this last year. Look up "512tr gas tank removal"

Gt car parts now sells a metal top tank insert. Also, ricambi now sells that rubber fuel pump holder.

Please be advised to also replace the tiny rubber O rings at the end of your fuel hoses. This is where they attach to the tank. I did not and they started leaking shortly their after. You do not want to drop the tank again.

Fun project!

9. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'll add some photos of my reengineered fuel pump assemblies. They will outlast the car.

I chose to keep the braided lines attached to the fuel pump assembly to avoid introducing a leak, wasn't sure I could source the seals.

10. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Rob...I bought 16 of those O rings from Foreign Cars in NC. I have extra. (Your mailbox is full)

11. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I cleared out some messages.

12. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Also check the electrical connectors at the pumps and fuse panel, they corrode and don't get full voltage.