Red plenums....Why | FerrariChat

Red plenums....Why

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
  2. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Theiler, whose plaque is on the motor, was a rather obsessive (in a good way) Ferrari service and tuner.

Some opinions find this treatment attractive. After all, look how all of the newer Ferraris do this. 575, 599, 430, 360, 488, etc. I don't think they do it because it's ugly but because it looks good.

3. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    At least he should have painted the runners as well.
    That is most def a point deduction at concours.

4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    On a Boxer it looks terribly wrong.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Why not? If you like it, you like it. It's only paint. Easy to strip off and set back to original with only a few hours of work.

6. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Here's another way of looking at it. Prior to the injected Boxer the V12 cars did not have painted plenums because they did not have injection so they had no plenums. So as far as I know the Boxer was the first injected V12 Ferrari production road car.

Every other production Ferrari that I know of after the Boxer had either red paint on their plenums or carbon fiber. So it would seem to me that after the first injected Ferrari V12 production Ferrari, and in fact after just a short run of cars overall, Ferrari decided it preferred its cars with Red painted Plenums. Ferrari switched to red as well on the V8 Cars starting with the QV and then the 328 and every V8 thereafter (except for the not so attractive plastic plenums of the 355 after the 355 every single V8 has red on its plenum.)

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im pretty sure the valve covers are red too.

8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Someone didn't mind the red plenum and valve covers, not my taste, as its SOLD.