Brake Caliper rebuild | FerrariChat

Brake Caliper rebuild

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Mar 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Hey everyone, I inspected my brakes to see why the car wasn't stopping and found that my calipers were stuck. My front left wheel barely turns when I pull on it hard. So I will be removing the calipers and sending them out for a rebuild and replating.

My question is, has anyone found a suitable brake pad retaining pin cross reference? I was looking at a Mercedes kit but couldnt figure out the length of the pins. My pins are pretty corroded.

Any help would be appreciated. I have new pads, getting my rotors machined, Caliper rebuild, and a fluid flush. So hopefully it will actually stop how it should. Let's just say freeway driving would cause you to clench if anyone stopped too quickly.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There is a trick. On cars rarely driven the effect you describe is common. Rebuild is a solution but often does not have to be if not too far gone. What you do is compress the cylinders back into caliper then press the brakes back into function. Then you flush the brakes. Sometimes you get lucky. The way to prevent this from happening again is to flush brakes often like an annual flush and semi annual bleed. I'm in pv and worked on these cars 35+ years if you need some help

3. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I just recently went through mine and did the rebuild myself. If you search my name and calipers you'll find the thread with pics and stuff. As far as the pins, they are available from various suppliers. Try Trutlands, Ricambi, etc. etc.

4. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I broke one removing it so my source was Mr Chairman :). Thanks again bud

If you decide to send your calipers out for refurb, consider PMB. They may also help you with the pins. They certainly did with my damaged bleeders by sending me originals

PS. I also have a thread on this topic. Plenty of good advice and tips from everyone

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    My pleasure brother. Pins and retainer clean up nicely with scuff attachment on the dremmel. I would use porterfield brake pads. R4-S. Bed them in correctly and they are a great pad.

R

6. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    call Mike at Girodisc 360-306-3263 ext 103 just bought 4 rebuild kits which includes new pins and the small o-rings needed if you split the calipers. Front kits are $100 each and the Rears are $107. Ask them about the about the Porterfield pads as they have had some concerns and read this thread, lots of great info from the usual contributors.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/492466-brake-caliper-rebuild.html

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Ferodo pads were the problem and the Porterfield pads were just placed incorrect box. Common in the auto industry. It happens more then you think. Only down side of the Porterfield is that they can squeak if not bedded correctly. They have great stopping power. I would go with Porterfield or pay the piper for factory.

R

8. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    I have Porterfields ready to install as I have heard good things, after talking with giro disc they had issues with the consistency of the pads and stated they had other options for the testarossa if I didn't like the Porterfields. I'm gonna put in the Porterfields and see how they feel.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Couple of things: calipers are really easy to rebuild like about 30mins a caliper.
    You can't condemn porterfield pads or say they are great. There are several pad compounds. You can say a particular compound did or didn't work for your application. Also, ferrari rotors are often costly so people change pads and not rotors. That can create some solvable issues when changing from one pad maker/compound to another.

10. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I am going to be sending the calipers out to pmb performance. While I'm at it I will be cleaning up the suspension and wheel wells. Thank you everyone for the advice, I figured the calipers need to be replated, so I will have it professionally done.

Does anyone know where I can get new hard lines made locally or ordered? I broke one of the lines as it was seized in the Caliper.

11. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Just checked around. I will make the metal piping myself. It hadn't occurred to me to buy a brake line tool, fittings and tube and just make it. I have to remake at least two tubes. Once I really start taking the car apart, then I will make a restoration thread.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Metal piping ? I would suggest copper :D

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    copper is too soft for the hydraulik pressure. sure it has been used long time but not yet anymore. here I get copper lines very rare, common is KuNiFer ( copper-nickel steel, kuper nickel stahl ) with plastic coating

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If it's your first time make sure you understand they are double flared. Buy the proper kit not just a flaring tool for fuel copper line. Watch some video if you can.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Copper no, Monel maybe?

16. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #16 Mr.Chairman, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Your gonna need a brake line bender for sure. A new one from Ferrari comes straight. Use a proper wrench as well. If I had to do this all over again I would use White Post Restoration for caliper rebuild. They will sleeve the cylinder with brass and it will never seize up again. Option B. I did them myself.

R

17. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Luckily a fair number of people at my work know how to make brake lines. So I will ask for some assistance. What type of flare is it? Looking at the fittings they look like DIN? If that's the correct name.

18. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    #18 302Tim, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Thanks Tim, I'll ask around if people know if we have the tools.

I just mailed the brake calipers to PMB. Now I have to start stripping everything else off.

Any leads on OEM rubber bushing kits? I found the polyurethane ones but would like stock or stock like bushings.

20. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Really? If you're capable of making the brake line, you're more than capable of rebuilding the calipers yourself. I just don't get why people won't do this. The only reason I can think of to send them out is if you want them replated. I prefer painted red to match the car.

It was said previously it takes about 30 mins per caliper. And that's removal, disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. It's just too simple to pay someone else to do.

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you are right scott, but in germany it is hard to get all the parts for rebuilding the calipers. the big rings and dust rubber may be not the problem, but the small O-rings between the 2 halfs

22. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    #22 jgmblair, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have had some great communication with the guys at giro disc. As I had stated in my earlier post they provide the small replacement orings, although they did not arrive in the package that was shipped. I called them the other day and they are shipping out the orings, interestingly they provide new pad retaining pins for the rear rebuild kit but not for the front rebuild kit! They said they have never been able to source new pins. Has anyone been able to find the pins if one wanted to replace them?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I am sending the calipers out because they need replating. I could easily rebuild them, but rusty brake fluid was pouring out of them. I want them to look like new. I will try finding new pins.

24. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    They are ugly calipers.. Don't paint them. They will look like painted tow nails on a old lady. Don't listen to Vette boy.. lol.. Be patient with me qwazi.. Just getting started..

R

25. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think you made the right choice both technically and financially. Only issue is that they don't quote turn around time until they receive them. Mine took a few months but they came back in spectacular shape.

What did they quote you on cost? Ask them about some pins. I have a good feeling they'll have them.

If they haven't already done so, they'll probably sell you on the Porterfield pads. If you decide to go with them (I eventually did), then you may as well have them shipped together to save more $'s.

PS. Have you found an alternative to the Goodridge braided lines? If not, I'd suggest you give them a go. I admit, I was a little harsh on them.