once agan | FerrariChat

once agan

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, Apr 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Spring warm weather, roads clear pulled out the BBi from hibernation for something like the 25th time.

Checked the engine bay, no leaks on floor.

let the fuel pumps run and it caught almost imediatly, stumbled stalled, next start was great.
    Fkuids up to temp wnet for a short run. After all these years i am still amazed at how good these cars are. In 2nd and 3rd throttle repose and accuracy between 3500 and 500 rpm is still simply unmatched. The reposes from the wheel and chassis excellent. No modern comes remotley close to feeling as involved or alive.

There is alsoa lot to be said for driving car you know well and are bonded with, its like putting on an old comfortable pair of shoes, everything fits and feels right.

these cars may not be the fastest, and past 9/10ths the chassis is a bit soft and there gets to be a lttle too much lean. the motor is mostly done by 6k rpm and could use more punch up high, and 4th and 5th gear are too tall for modern road conditions.

Yes you end up smelling of burnt fuel, But as an experience to drive, between the sound, the smoothness of the motor, the the directness of the shft, the sharp reactions of the chassis and the total enagement all around, well nothing else is really close and why these machines are so special.

Yeah they are that good. Yull need to ride a great naked motorcycle to get close to the same feeling. can am car civilized enough for the road.

2. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Best post I've read in a long time. Makes me want to try a BBi.

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I know what you mean!
    It's time for me to bust mine out of winter storage, I can't wait.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I've mentioned it before in PMs to several local owners, but we need to do a Boxer meet up this spring. I'm away til May 15th, but when I get back I will start to initiate a gathering/drive of the 5-10 cars in the area.

I probably have put 500 miles on mine already this year.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Taught my 17 year old daughter how to drive std in my BB last Sunday. Stalled it once, never rode the clutch! She enjoyed it a lot as did I!

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I did the same with my daughter a few years ago, she did great.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Funny, my 17 old son and I went out Sunday in the TR. he had lessons last year when he went for his G1 .... Better he learn standard from a professional instead of his old man :)

I took some great in car video .... did your daughter enjoy it enough to join you and drive it more often? Great memories for sure Paul!

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I know paul :)
    also your daughter was driving your 512, not one of the newer cars
    those links just a friend of mine sent to me and I thaugth to share those sad moments :(

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    She's into cars and often asks if we can go out for a ride in it, I never say no! This time I surprised her on the drive and pulled over, told her to trade seats and she didn't hesitate lol. Stupid me didn't even take a pic!

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    may be she enjoyed sooo much that the next nights she will pick up the key and make some drives? :)

but good to see that even young ones enjoyed these older cars

13. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Gives you and her a reason for a second outing together now :D

I suspect mine will want to romp on the 308 this Saturday as well. It's good to see them into the classics, hopefully they get the bug.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Of the cars I own, my son(17) naturaly gravitates to the boxer, its the one that lights his enthusiasm. He is a big gamer, but an offer of a ride int he boxer always gets a yes.

We're doing a club run this sunday, he has been going along with me since age 7, so for 10 years, in the fall he will be away studying engineering and so i think the father son boxer time will be more limited. They grow up fast and time moves faster with age.

Part of the issue in my book why they are allegedly less gearheads is ebcause so many modern cars are just appliances and uninspiring.

15. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    My daughter was just elated to get behind the wheel of the BBi. She was impressed that I trusted her. I don't want her to be afraid of them. Just understanding and respectful. She would never ask to borrow the BBi to pick up a friend and go to a Starbucks etc, so I'm very proud to let her enjoy the gorgeous machine. She told me it's incredible how special these cars are. I think she gets it.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    really great to hear/read how thw young ones enjoy the old cars :) :)
    never thaught so because the new cars need no "manpower" to drive and are so much easier and more relaxing to drive - so nothing for me

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The new cars dont excite, they just use excess power to thirll, not the same thing.

18. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    My son said it was an event to drive an old car. Just knowing it doesn't have abs, or power steering and hand to wear a slimmer shoe makes for a fun driving experience. First time I've been in a car with him that I didn't have to listen to his kind of music. He actually wanted the windows down and listen to the engine and exhaust note.

New cars excite , they just are not engaging. He could tell that the horsepower in the testarossa was average by today's standard. You are right that the old cars have an excite factor that new ones don't.

19. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #19 John B, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I busted my BB512 out of winter storage today.
    Started right up. I took it easy until the oil temp was over 70c, just getting reacquainted after 5 months, but it was like putting on a comfortable pair of old jeans. Then I let her sing along the back roads! The sound and feel of that big flat 12 howling at the top of its lungs through 12 Weber venturis and snicking the gated shifter through the gears still sends tingles down my spine. You are very much involved with this car, not just along for the ride. These are very special cars indeed. We have a lot of cars including a few modern exotics, but this is the one my son says "Dad, you can NEVER sell this one". He right, he gets it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great post

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #21 boxerman, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My son today trying out the drivers seat.
    We were on a club run, my underlaying feeling of the drive was that these cars are just pure unadulterated fun on road, (provided there is not too much traffic or traffic lights)
    60 degrees today, also perfect Bb weather.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Love blue boxers!

23. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Took her out for a warm up and cruise around. Power is great. Very different from modern cars. You could be full throttle in a M3 and play with the radio. In the BB, maybe you could, but doubtful you'd want to. I forgot how much attention it calls. Also, it eats up chunks of road in a hurry, and you need very light traffic to enjoy. If you squeeze on throttle to hear the symphony, you start catching up with other cars too quickly.

Time to wash up. The wheels get dirty quickly. :)

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ok calling all cars in Ny Ct area. Lets arrange a drive, i know a great route perfect for Bbs.

LMk everyone who is ineterested.

25. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I'm in. I'll reach out to a couple others I spoke about this last year. I'll be back in NY May 15th.