Feedback on TR A/C | FerrariChat

Feedback on TR A/C

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TR91, Apr 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TR91

TR91 Karting

Mar 8, 2008
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Would love to hear from TR owners about their air conditioning. Do you still use Freon or did you do a 134 conversion? What influenced your decision? Been hearing it both ways on this matter. Some prefer the original; others have updated. Thanks.

2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The TR was designed for R-12. If you can keep it it is better. When original cars came with R-134 in 1995, the condenser was increased to make up the difference in molecule size of the two different Freons. The EPA wanted Dupont chemical to produce a more environmentally friendly Freon. Dupont said not worth it, sales would be small. EPA said we will make it mandatory! So we get R-134 shoved on us. Dupont gets a royalty of every R-134 produced. Anyway that was explained to me by a HVAC service man?

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Sage advice.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    R134 leaks badly from Ferrari hoses and it does not work as well.

Is there any good reason to use it?

5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    I have used Freeze-12 with no problems for the last 35,000 miles.

6. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

2 actually. 1.) It can be purchased legally for very low cost. 2) One doesn't have to hawk ebay or CL and pay stupid money for something that is illegal to purchase. Been there, done that.

I went to R134 last year and have zero regrets doing it. If it leaks it can be refilled very cheaply.

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've heard both schools of thought. Yes, R134 is cheaper and easier to get. I've also heard that it doesn't get as cold and it leaks. I've also heard others say the exact opposite.

Consider the source. I went with Rifledriver because he works on these daily.

R12 isn't that hard to get. I purchased it on ebay. There is plenty. It wasn't that expensive because you're not buying more than 3 lbs. You only have to buy it once. It's also what the system was designed for. nuff said. Stick with R12 until we have eliminated the ozone layer. (I'm not a tree hugger)

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    here in germany it is nearly impossible to find R 12 anymore, but if someone knows please let me know

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As I understand it in most of Europe it is pretty impossible to get.

10. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    In my case my compressor was leaking oil. Found a new Sanden for R134 for $250. To rebuild the R 12 Sanden would have cost double the new one. Whenever I've needed R 12 the sellers at the time were asking stupid money. So going to R134 was a no-brainer for me. Been only 1 summer but there wasn't any noticeable difference in the coldness. So far so good.

11. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I ordered of ebay and I believe it came from China. Can you not locate that on ebay?

I just did a quick search and 3 lbs of R12 is going for about $60 with free freight and it's shipping from USA!

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    scott,
    you have me an ebay number?
    when I open ebay.de and look for refrigerant R 12 there comes nothing

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The difference between the compressors is the oil inside.

If 134 worked as well it was because it wasn't right to start with. You can't change physics.

14. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Let's just say that given it's only been 1 summer and here in New England we go about 7-8mos between needing to use it, I noticed no significant difference that had me regretting the change. It blew cold before and it blows cold enough now. Is there a measureable difference? As you stated you can't physics but the difference so far hasn't been one that begets any regret in my case.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    A reputable auto A/C service can recover and filter your used R-12 freon, if your car still has it. Do repairs if necessary, new drier etc, evacuate and refill. R-134 will leak past the original R-12 hoses and seals. Remember the older R-12 cars that were so cold they would freeze you out of the car?

16. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you scott

link is working fine
    but he only delivers within the US

if such parts would be send to europe it could be that the custom will confiscate those - and then your money is gone and also have no material. may be also you will get a dine because you treid to get something illegal???

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A 134 charged system will blow just as cold as an r12 system. Change the dryer seals and carrier oil, and you will freeze your nuts with a good properly working system. It may not bring the temp down as quickly, but it will maintain temp just as well if not better then R12.

19. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    That *might* be true in the frozen north but it's most definitely not the case in Texas.

The condenser in the TR was specced for R12, and even then it's too small for hot climates. It'd be that much more undersized with 134a pumping through it.

As Brian said, you can't change physics.