It's just a filter! | FerrariChat

It's just a filter!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Apr 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I need to change the oil and filter in my 89 TR. I had a few filters that I brought from the mainland when I moved here 8 years ago. I think I paid about $40 each for them. Now, I can't find them for cheaper than $180!!! W.....T.....F....!!!

Will a 512TR/512M Filter fit on a TR? I know they are a bit shorter but if they'll spin on and seal, it's definitely the way to go.

Who knows? Rifledriver? Turbo-Joe? I know one of you guys will know. Anybody else try this yet? It's going to be an issue if the price keeps heading for the stratosphere.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sorry scott

I don´t know, always took until now the original one.
    but I think when the 512TR /512M are shorter then they also will fit - but not sure because never tried

3. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

WTF is right! WTF happened to the price of these? Insane. Glad I bought 3 of them off MonoSpecchio for $75 last year. Why no one jumped on them before I did is beyond me. :)

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #4 vincenzo, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    TR filter is discontinued according to one of the guys at T Rutland. Daniel shows no price on his website and that is usually not good news. The dealer I use a lot shows zero at FNA and no idea if that is a permanent situation.

The 512 filter is a short version of the same thing.

From prior experience if the TR filter becomes available again expect a much higher price.

Ain't monopolies grand?

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Both the TR (124228) filter and the 512TR (148404) filter are on an intergalactic backorder. Indeed prices have skyrocketed for the very few ones left. I have 3x of the TR ones and 1x of the 512TR ones here at Ricambi America. Unfortunately, mine are not for sale -- I'm holding them for use in timing belt service kits.

OP: At $175/ea, I'd suggest you just buy the one you're being offered. There is literally no ETA (that I have heard) on replacements of the original style/design filter.

7. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

^ Apologies, rifledriver, I didn't mean to post 'on top' of your comments.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never cared for the filtering quality of any of the serviceable filters. For now better to use 512 filters I think.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Based on what Daniel is saying we may be very happy to only pay $175 for a filter before the dust settles.

It's that monopoly thing again.

10. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

#10 Ricambi America, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, my 20th anniversary is coming up in a few weeks. If I sold these, maybe I could get my wife a nicer present than the cruddy Hallmark card I've given for the past 19 years...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Maranello Concessionaires still has them listed for around $90USD. Get 'em while they're hot!

Eurospares which typically has good pricing has them listed at a whopping $250USD. Ouch!

12. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IMO, it's a situation a little like when F went to the single long timing belt on the 3.4L -- it's fewer parts, so seems more simple/lower cost/better, but history proved that wrong and this too ;). We need a new machined casting upgrade kit that mounts two Baldwin B252 like the Boxers...

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I don't understand everyone's thinking about rushing out and buying the few remaining at some "didn't even get a courtesy reach-around" price. If the 512TR filter fits, and it won't cause problems, why not use it for a fraction of the price? So it's a little shorter. Change it a bit more often if it really bothers you.

Hey Brian, is there ANY reason you can see that this is a bad idea?

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bigger is better but we change them so often it won't matter.

BTW Daniel said 512 filter is on back order too. They will soon go very high as well.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Mounting them right side up allows use of a bunch of different standard Ford pattern filters. No need for the Baldwin or UFI. There are a lot of high flow capacity single filters. We just need an adaptor to get to an available thread or seal size and use the OE casting. The 512 does need a short filter though and with an adaptor it will need to be even shorter. May mean a remote mount kit and lay it flat.

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The Baldwin B252 is just a good high-quality oil filter for gasket end up mounting (it doesn't have a standpipe like a B253 for gasket end down mounting).

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The shorter filter came at the same time Ferrari lowered the engine in the chassis which is the TR and then the M. I assumed for the health of the filter they shortened it because the pan hangs below the frame on the TR and M vs the Testarossa and the shorter filter remains out of harms way as the leading part on the drivetrain thats exposed. And I could be totally off on my hypothesis.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You are right. I think it was just felt the filter was more easily damaged than the castings. I have a 512 here now with a TR filter on it and it is exposed but no more so than the oil pan.

I know I avoid anything taller than a Botts Dot in ours.

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    OK, Hopefully no drama. I found one on ebay for $75 with free freight. The freight part is awesome because I'm in Hawaii. The only others I saw were in Germany.

So...The 512TR/M oil filter market is drying up as well. Nice! ��

F'ing F!

20. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
  21. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
  22. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
  23. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  24. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Those are the older style UFI TR filters. UFI updated the filter a few years ago with a different seal ring and lower plate (UFI #23.192.02), which is what Ferrari have been selling for some time.

The older filters will work fine, but some assorted individuals have reported leakage issues with them.

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #25 turbo-joe, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    so there is still no right answer if those shorter filter will fit or not what scott asked at the beginning

so will those fit ?

this magnus billet reusabale oil filter seems to be a good alternative to the ufi. unfortunately they don´t have for Ferrari

I have seen they are located in concord, ontario, canada. may be one fo our members here are in the near and could go around to ask?