Fuse box problem? | FerrariChat

Fuse box problem?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bensonae, May 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    It had been a month since I drove the car and I went to start her up and nothing. Battery has loads of juice but the starter is not even turning. I turn the Ignition key a few times and it fires up. Once running seems fine. I turn on the headlights and no dash lights, parking lights or rear lights goon. The headlights meanwhile work fine. I suspect it is the fuse box so I open the hood open the fuse box panel and before even looking at anything the trunk light along with rear lights dash lights etc all come on. I drove it to the beach with zero problems. Started fine yesterday but since nothing has been done I'm afraid the problem remains. Any ideas? My thought was just a fuse box causing some intermittent issues. Oh and I have a 1993 512TR.
    Thanks

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    unplug all connectors and check if something is burned.
    use contact spray when putting together all
    remove all fuses and relais and check also

problems appear and disappear and none knws what it was - terrible situation :(

3. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #3 Mr.Chairman, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Careful with contact spray. In an unsealed environment that could make the problem worse. Pull the connectors and check them out. Make sure nothing is burned. Leaving burned connectors can bleed into adjacent circuits. If your connectors are burned it's time to pay the piper and do the Dave Helms fuse box modification. Well worth it. Isolate those high draw currents. High draw currents are:

Fuel pumps (2)
    Radiator fans (2)
    Oil cooling fan (1 even though it rarely turns on)
    A/C condenser fan (1)

Dave Helms box isolates those circuits on a secondary fuse panel attached to existing fuse box. It works and it's a great solution. Would probably be one of the first things I would do if I got another TR.

R

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    TR had 1 oil cooler fan. 512 had none in the US model. Not sure about other markets.

I'd do what Romano suggested.

5. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Corrected. Sorry had a spaz out moment. It's been a while.

R

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I think it depends on what you mean by "oil cooing fan" -- TR has two physical oil fan motors, but just one oil fan motor circuit.

7. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Greetings and correct. Numerically I was referring to circuits.

R

8. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Gt car parts has a better solution to the fuse box. DH old news

9. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    No they don't. It's just cheaper. Not better.

R

10. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    +1

Look for any blackened/melted wires at the connectors into the fuse/relay board.
    The bad connectors must be replaced but you also need to take the board apart and check for damage. The heat generated by the weak/corroded connector going ohmic will melt the solder and locally burn the board. If not damaged it can be soldered back up.

There are 2 white wires to check the connections of at the fuse/relay board for the starter circuit.
    They run from the switch to the fuse board then back out to the starter solenoid.
    If you have the WSM, the wiring diagrams show the circuit and locations on the connectors.
    The spade connector at the starter solenoid can go bad also, check that for corrosion.

Firstly though, I suggest you check the ignition switch since I had exactly the problem you describe.
    My ignition switch was replaced as it was dropping ~5V across the starter contact which was confirmed burned out when pulled apart. You can measure the voltage on the above mentioned white wire going into the fuse box from the ignition switch with a multimeter while starting (should see very close to battery voltage).
    I was seeing 7-8V whilst the battery was at 12V and no start.

11. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Ok so before I start pulling plugs, fuses and relays I should turn the battery off or does it not matter? Oh and thanks everyone for chiming in.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Turn the ground switch !

13. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
  14. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Never heard of or seen that box in any car. I would not put that in my car.

R

15. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why not?

16. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I would rather have a circuit board vs the spaghetti of wires behind the box like that. You kidding right.

R

17. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    In his defense I think that pic(the spaghetti wires) is from a different Ferrari not a 512TR. Maybe a Mondial or 308? The one nice thing about his product if it well done is you do not have to send him your board he sends you a new one that he makes. Sounded ok to me. I do not want to have the downtime on my car but I am also hoping to make it through to the winter and then do it then when i do not use her. Any and all opinions/thoughts welcome. Thanks

18. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    So, we are going to say that the "circuit board" of the stock TR is THE problem (it can't handle the current) and wires that can handle the current are "spaghetti"?

The problem here is that you may not understand the problem.

19. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    You need to understand that your problem is not your circuit board. It is not the plastic connector housing. These are all SYMPTOMS of a bad terminal that is crimped on the end of each wire that links your wiring to your fuse box. The AMP connectors used in the 328 and 512tr loose there grip to the blade coming out of the fuse box. As this gets loose, resistance builds (especially with the high amp circuits) and generates heat. This will THEN discolor your connectors, melt your wires, or damage the circuit board fuse box that Ferrari used. (The "spaghetti " would have been better)

You have options...
    1)
    If your fuse box is ok, you need to make sure the AMP connectors are tight. You will need to crimp new ones on. This assumes you know how to do it.
    2). You buy the spaghetti box. However, you will still need to learn to crimp connectors because I am reading that he uses more secure ones . So you will still need to learn it.
    3) spend big bucks with the Scuderia rapante box that moves the circuits off the board. But you can do this yourself without sending it to DH.

But all these will require that you know a little about soldering and crimping connectors on wires.

20. bensonae

bensonae Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2013
    Tokyo, Japan
    Full Name:
    Alex Benson
    Thanks Tim! I have not messed with electrics much more mechanical changes. I am willing to try. you are in VA Beach? i am originally from Richmond though I live in Tokyo now.

21. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #21 Mr.Chairman, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Wrong. The fuse box is barely enough to handle all the circuits out of the box. The older the car get the components get older and draw more current. That's the problem. You have to remove the high draw currents from the circuit board. Once you remove the high draws the existing box is fine. Sorry if I don't want a make shift circuit board using wires like that. The high draws should still be pulled away from the box. That's all I'm saying. That is a half ass solution. If any oution at all. Why all the dismissal of Dave Helms. I don't get it. Bottom line is you do what you want but don't tell me what the issues are with a TR. I'm not perfect or the know it all but I've done all the mods to sort her right and the results were indisputable. Almost 8 years and she still runs solid and strong. Not one issue as well as driven on a weekly basis. I don't half ass things and that box is half ass. Fuse box mod, gold kit, and Taylor ignition wires. The best thing I ever did to my TR.

R

22. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I just think you are contradicting yourself. If we say the board is the problem, then the spaghetti wires are the best solution. No more circuit board. What "components " on the box are you saying are drawing more current?

The DH box is a hybrid. I am not dismissing that the hybrid is not a viable solution, but I can not agree that it would be better than the spaghetti. The "spaghetti " would be direct electrical connections. The down side would be the labor to create it vs a cheaper circuit board.

The reality is that the DH box is adding "spaghetti " to select circuits while letting the board handle the low amp circuits. Yep, spaghetti is added to improve the stock board. Ironic right?

I have made my very own "hybrid" in my car. I moved the AC, and radiator fans off of my main board. Trust me, I get the concept and ease.

But, in doing this my car gets an added side box. It definitely works. However, that "spaghetti " box would look stock and solve the problem. Not to mention it is over $1000 cheaper than the DH box.

It's just my opinion as someone who engineered their own box, even if mine is more like the DH solution. It cost me about $85. My stock FB now has 5amp fuses in place of the 20amps so I definitely have less current flowing through my box. If something was to fail on mine, it's an $85 dollar problem.

I am actually intrigued by the gt car parts board that is a single layer circuit board instead of the 3 layered stock one. It's the same "style" with out spaghetti, but then it's a circuit board again.

23. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The the components meaning the fuel pumps, fans. Etc. I don't consider 6 wire as spaghetti. How much is the DH box. I paid under a grand some years back.

R

24. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  25. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Some people might think like that and I can understand that the wires look a bit awkward.

But we have been selling these fuseboxes all over the world for the past 8 years and none has failed so far.

The wires also have a very big advantage: it can be repaired easily. If you have a serious issue on a typical board, you can just throw it away. In our case, it's repaired easily.

And as you know, one of the issues with the standard boards is that they were not designed to cope with the current for the fuelpump, using these wires that problems has totally disappeared

Anyhow, we have over 50 customers from all over the world who are enjoying a reliable board, we even make them for the F40.