512 BB MPG | FerrariChat

512 BB MPG

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2dinos, May 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    #1 2dinos, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Anybody ever check this?

I checked it once on a 400 mile trip and returned 22mpg. Not terrible (to me) 'cause AMG Benz only get's ~24 under the same conditions.

For the last tank which consisted of more spirited drives on scenic back roads, I calc'd 8.47mpg. Oh well, there are 12 hungry cylinders back there :)

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    in the 8-10 range, never tried to high mile it

3. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Same here - not trying to achieve any goals. just conditions where I thought to check it.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    we here in europe count ltr/100 km
    so 10 ltr on 100 km is equal to 23,5 mpg
    with my BB carb I once needed 15 ltr/100 km, so about 15.6 mpg ( this has been the minimum ) but when I go sunday morning a little fast driving I need up to 65 ltr/100km, so 3.6 mpg - but this then makes so much fun :) :) :)

5. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    That's great! The best (or worst) I've ever seen was at a hillclimb event in a 308 where you race ~9.3Km and climb ~ 500meters ----- ~ 6mpg (39.2L/100km). The Boxer delivers more thrills for that fuel use :)

6. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    There is a reason for the large fuel capacity- although I never really paid attention I suspect in the 10 mpg range.

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    For comparison.
    On track My elise gets 11 mpg and exige v6 gets 8mpg. The Gt40 not more than 5 mpg.

As soon as you are pushing any car and running the motor near peak mpg drops percipetously.

I hear a little subrau wrx on track is also in the 8mpg range.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Franklin Parker once said he got 25mpg in his BBi and I kinda believe it. Mine was great on fuel, my 400i seems to go forever. My carb'd BB with koenig engine mods along with my foot produces a carbon footprint that would rival a coal burning power generation plant.

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Downhill ? :D

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    TR will do in the low to mid 20's. Has a lot of range. One of my clients claimed 26 in his.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If you use low revs very light throttle why not 25 mpg, esp cruising at constant speed on the highway.

12. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Saw this title and had to check in to see the comments.

Had one long trip (300+mi.) with the wife (so pretty restrained overall) and I remember the surprise finding just a tick over 20mpg, and the route included 2 decent passes with elevation.

No knock on it, but guessing a Daytona is not getting that efficiency. It amazes me that basically a restrained Can Am car for the street can have such a range of behavior. The torque just allows it to be downright civil at low revs, yet thrill you like few can when unleashed.

Just thinking about it inspires me to take a low mpg run! :)

13. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I took a 500 mile trip in my BBi in September 2015. First fill up (always use alcohol free gas and stops depend on where that gas is available) at 187 miles, most of which were on freeway at 70 or above. I got 18.9 miles per gallon. Next fill up was 153 miles at 10.8 mpg, and last was 174 miles at 14 mpg. I should mention that the above is probably not exact as I believe the odometer is in kilometers (the speedo has an overlay for mph), but when compared to mileage markers it shows close to miles - a little over 9/10ths of a mile. This could be due to the 15 inch wheels I drive on, but I haven't wanted try to calculate what the difference would be from the stock metric wheels I have with good looking, but very old TRXs.

14. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    In my case it is about 16 mpg in reasonably normal use. It is kind of not bad, considering....

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this is a huge difference10.8 mpg and 18.9 mpg
    so 10.8 mpg going uphill all the time or going with high rpm?

16. grngts

grngts Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That 10.8 mpg was mostly on two lane roads with hills and often passing other cars on the hills, bumper to bumper traffic for a few miles through a small town, spend the weekend in another small town, and then back over those hills on the two lane road. In my normal driving close to home is not too good either - lots of stop and starts at traffic lights and 'exercising' it a bit.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Now for the prize, who has gotten the lowest mpg.

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Sean,

My car will be a contender, as it is/has be burning quite rich. Sadly, I have yet to start it or take it out this season, however, 2 seasons ago I worked out the Fuel cost to distance traveled and it was an interesting statistic... my fuel cost worked out to be $0.50 per KM !(or $0.83 per mile) ... which translates to about 6 MPG.

I am hoping to have some time to work and drive the car this season and if so I will sort out the rich running condition.

Cheers,

Sam

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I already have mentionen in my post here nr. 4: 3,6 mpg on public road hard driving, on race track it would be about 2,5 mpg - never meassured

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Our 1300 HP land speed record car gets better than that. As I recall even alcohol burning Indy cars get 5mpg.

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #21 turbo-joe, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
    this I understand because you only accelerate one time up to top speed, may be shifting sometimes - but on street or track you always brake and accelerate so I think that this brings the mpg down, also better going a little rich than a little too lean :)

my competition with the KE-jetronic and the lenz turbotronic needed at full power about 90 ltr /100 km, so about 3 mpg on the german autobahn with 1.3 bar boost. with the triject I have now on I only was going up to 0,4 bar ( had no time until now to adjust more ) and I used about 35 ltr/100 km ( about 8 mpg )

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yea but it goes 5 miles at full throttle and 334 MPH.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yeah my Gt40 was a little over 5mpg on track.

Of course we all measure fuel economy in enterainment cost per drive, in that regard its the best entertainment you can have for $50. Throw in other runnign/fixed costs over 5 years and youll see that if youre not doing enough mileage your cost per mile actualy goes up.

Or how many miles per year would you need to do at today fuel prices to have the optimum cost per mile, given that insurance and maintanace are fixed regardless of miles, and your variables are tires pads and fuel.

I am assumign zero miles depreciation though, as I'll balance that against the sanity and calm that comes froma great drive..

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Please tell us about this car. Along with going into space is the desire to drive at bonneville, probably more attainable too..

25. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Bonneville has a class for record runs all over the place. From 50cc motor bikes up to gas turbine streamliners. Every year there is a widely varied collection of vehicles racing!