Hood lift strut warranty | FerrariChat

Hood lift strut warranty

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, May 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I ordered engine hood lift struts in November 2015 from Lift Supports Depot. They weren't exactly cheap at $120 per pair. However, they are shot. Only 1.5 years and they won't hold. That's the bad part. The good part is that this company offers a lifetime warranty. They are even cross shipping them to me.

I have purchased 3 sets of these since I've owned the car. The first 2 sets were from F pimp and they lasted about 5 years each. The cost was about the same but they did last longer.

So, do you want to replace them for free every 1.5 years or do you want to pay for them every 5 years? Decisions decisions....

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What are you doing to them? Mine are still original and since October of 1985 when the cars came out I do not recall replacing a single set.

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Never had them broken ... -> '92 ...

4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I have a 308 with those, and in 30 years of ownership, I think I've done 3 sets of them. I'd have one side obviously fail, and change it, then very soon after need to do the other side. The following events, I just changed the pair.

Too much opening of the deck??

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have replaced many in 308. For whatever reason it is different. I have worked professionally on TR's since they first came out and never seen a bad set of engine cover struts. Front lid struts we replace regularly.

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I had my original rear struts re-serviced a few years ago (by LS Technologies)--first time they had been touched since new. Replaced my fronts with Stabilus SG402012 six years ago, still holding strong.

7. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    #7 lear60man, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    My rears are solid. I replaced the fronts with.......crap....something I found here. And yes they are shot.

Scott, given your choices I would go with the lifetime warranty because of the easy replacement. They only take about an hour to swap, so given the price its a small price to pay.

Now I have to research who I bought my limp struts from.....

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Go to a Ferrari parts supplier and get Mondial trunk struts. All that aftermarket ill fitting crap is just crap. Stop with the catch and release thing. I have had Mondial trunk struts on ours for years. Still work perfectly.

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow. What did I get then? 2 sets from F pimp went bad. This was from F of Denver so they probably bought them from lifsupportdepot.com and dumped them on me. I really wouldn't put it past those crooks.

I don't do anything out of the ordinary. It's not like I mounted a big wing on the back.

Considering I've already paid for lifetime warranty struts and they are replacing them, I guess I'm gonna stick with it. I'll let you know in another 1.5 years if they have failed again. It's not like the diff, which I have disassembled 3 times and it takes a 2 weeks. It's a 5 minute job.

Oh yes, I' have also replaced the fronts with the Autozone version I think. They are solid after a few years.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Just a data point... My original BB Front Clam and Rear bonnet struts were knackered when I bought my BB in late 2005. None were available from any of the usual or F Car dealers. I found LS Technologies here in Canada (Saskatoon, SK) and sent them off to be rebuilt. They were too far gone and so LS Technologies recreated a full set that look and fit like the originals... except, of course, they are missing the original silkscreen. I installed them in 2006 (11 years ago) and still work perfectly.

Cheers,

Sam

11. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    #11 Drew Altemara, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    This is what I used 10 years ago and they were spot on from McMaster-Carr Parts:

The order was for 4 screw on Cast Eyelets with M8 thread and 2 Gas Springs with Threaded Ends.

Products
    Line Quantity Part Number Description Unit Price Total Price Ships
    1 4
    Each 6465K27
    Zinc Die Cast Eyelet for M8 Thread Reducible-Force Gas Spring 1.62 6.48 in the morning

2 2
    Each 9416K392
    Gas Spring with Threaded Ends 50 Force, 28.00" Extended Length, 12.80" Stroke (Same as 9416K22) 17.29 34.58 in the morning
    Merchandise Total 41.06