Caliper reconditioning and disc replacement | FerrariChat

Caliper reconditioning and disc replacement

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dradambbb, May 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #1 dradambbb, May 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in the process of reconditioning the TR front calipers. They are standard ATE items. I've reconditioned calipers before on my Mercedes. These are quite similar but with 4 rather than 2 pistons. I've now ejected all pistons and awaiting new seal kits, red rubber grease and a spacer set from Superperformance. I may proceed to replace the discs too while I'm here; the spares are in a box.

I have a couple of questions for guys in the know:

The online copy of the workshop does not specify torque settings for caliper bolts and the disc bolts. Am I looking in the wrong place - section G9-G10?

Also I would prefer to replace the caliper bolts but these are not available from Superperformance. What's a good non-Ferrari source in UK?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Section M in the TR WSM has most of the torque values IIRC (whatever its name, there is a specific section for tightening torques).

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All torque specifications for the entire car are in section M.

Everything you need is there.

4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If you are referring to the torque value for the bolts that hold the caliper halves together they aren't listed in the WSM. I used the following reference from PMB Performance (they rebuild ATE calipers):

Torqueing caliper halves:
    1. Number the fasteners from left to right 1-2-3-4
    2. Initial torque to 17 lbs/ft. in this sequence: 2-3-1-4
    3. Final torque to 29 lbs/ft. in this sequence: 2-3-1-4

As for replacing hardware, again, if you are referring to the bolts that hold the caliper halves together they are pretty unique and may not be easy to find: the front bolts have a round pan head and take a Ribe bit (kinda like a Torx). I suppose you could replace with a suitable Grade 8 Allen head bolt & nut. The rears are attached with Allen headed bolts but I don't know the dimensions. If yours are unusable (corroded?) and you can't locate replacements I suggest contacting PMB at www.pmbperformance.com, I'd bet they could hook you up with some replacements. I had them replate my calipers, spacers and hardware, then I did the rebuild--great company/workmanship/support (no affiliation).

The disk bolt torque should be listed in the WSM as Steve and Brian noted (sorry I don't have the value, my car had the later (non-bolted) disks. Anyway, good luck, let us know/see how it all works out.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Why not try Eurospares ? Or ask member Phil at Forza Components in U.K.

Nice thread, please document it with lots of detailed photo's so other members can learn to do it themselves.

6. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Ah, the M section! Thanks for advice.

Tim, not splitting the caliper halves as have no need. But very nice of you to provide details.

I got the seal kits from Superperformance now. For some reason they don't list caliper mounting bolts on their site. Maybe I missed it. Will check the suggested sources.

Taking pictures as I go and hope to share later on.

Cheers all.

7. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Just measured the existing discs. They've been ground recently, down to 30mm. It appears that most of the grounding happened on the outer face.

I compared with new ones and these are 32mm.

The existing discs look good and braked well. Smooth, no judder.

Leave alone or replace now?

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    it depends on how you are driving
    normaly the limit is between 10 and 15 % less than original, so when new 32 mm then I would change them below 28 mm after grinding
    but when you always go full power - full brake then replace when below 30 mm

9. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If you have the OEM Brembo discs the wear limit is stamped along the outer edge of the disc--mine say 30mm. I agree with Romano, it depends on how you intend to drive but for non-track driving I personally would leave the discs on since you are having no issues. If you intend to keep the car for a long time I would also keep my eye out for replacements as the prices tend to vary rather steeply--sometimes you can find new OEM for ~$150 ea. but I've also seen them up around $400-600. I see them advertised more on the US version of eBay vs. the UK version.

Also if it's that obvious that one face has been ground more than the other, for even pad wear you may want to check/adjust caliper positioning over the rotor (adjusted by adding/subtracting shims on the mounting bolts between the caliper and hub).

10. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I have replacements available. Unlike the current discs these ones are marked as minimum thickness of 30mm.

With the caliper off what would be the best way to undo the bolts holding the disc to the hub?