512tr won't turn off at times | FerrariChat

512tr won't turn off at times

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Star-Garage, May 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Star-Garage

Star-Garage Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2010
    Delray, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Massari
    Hey guys,

I seem to remember reading about this years ago, but I'm having trouble searching for the thread.

My 92' 512TR won't turn off with the ignition switch, at times. I completely remove the key, the steering will lock, but engine and accessories remain running.
    Very intermittent, but annoying. I have to stall the engine in gear and turn off the battery switch.

Is there a common problem with ignition switch?

Thanks
    Mike

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t know about a common problem with the electrical part of the ignition switch, but there is the problem.

when you stall the engine are then some bulbs burning in the instruments panel?
    when you turn off the battery main siwtch and on again, does those bulbs also burn then with ignition off?

3. Star-Garage

Star-Garage Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2010
    Delray, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Massari
    The bulbs, gauges, radio, everything stays on.
    Even after I turn off the battery disconnect switch and turn it back on, that does not resolve the issue. I have to keep playing with ignition switch and sometimes just wait. I can't tell if it's in the ignition switch or just coincidence.
    I guess since no one is responding that this is a common problem, I'll investigate it further next time it happens. Maybe I'll expose the bottom of the steering column so I can get to the switch harness to disconnect or probe it when it happens again?

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I see this problem it is in the electrical part of the ignition switch.
    so when this will happen again try to check with a voltmeter

on a Ferrari I never had this, but sometimes on VW and audi