What's this TR really worth? | FerrariChat

What's this TR really worth?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Parnelli, May 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this side just now is not available :(

3. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Looks like a nice car, mate. You should buy it after an independent inspection.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    strange:

with the first link it says:
    We're sorry for any inconvenience, but the site is currently unavailable.
    Please contact our support team for help.

Incident Number: 18.900a1602.1495194715.a46d97b

the second link is working fine :)

the car looks pretty good

as I see the prices raising again?

5. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I believe the owner of that Testa is a member here

6. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Schulz you are correct. That's my car for sale. Sadly there seems to be a lot of high miles, condition 3 and 4 cars for sale under $100k right which tend to be cross shopped to lower miles top condition 2 and 1 vehicles. My TR shows great, completely sorted out with all services up to date. Someone will get a great value on a rare combination color.

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Sorry man but that car is over priced by a lot. I don't see TR's selling for over 100k. 512TR? Yes. But the TR is too common and a white one isn't going to sell as well as red.

8. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I think the price is spot on, if not a little low. In the other thread, I did a quick snapshot of the other TR's for sale on Ebay and IIRC, the average price was $128k with an average mileage in the mid 20k's.

White TR's have the Miami Vice appeal. Its the only color for me. The recent engine out, records, AZ (dry climate) are other bonuses. Most of the cars on Ebay dont even address when the last belt service was.

Admittedly I havent been lurking the for sale ads, but I dont see the same TR's week after week. Thats tells me TR's are moving. At what price....who knows.

9. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    "I did a quick snapshot of the other TR's for sale on Ebay and IIRC, the average price was $128k with an average mileage in the mid 20k's."

Lear60man- I've seen those "asking" prices as well but it doesn't sound like cars are actually selling at those prices. I'm hearing much lower.

BTW, glad to hear you are a fellow 'Vice fan!!

10. madmap

madmap Karting

Oct 14, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mark
    While I know anyone would love to buy a car at a great price, I can tell you this car is super nice. I looked at it yesterday as Kris was kind enough to let me check it out even though I am not a current buyer of a TR (although after seeing this it may make me rethink that). It has A recent major engine out by Andy at Ferrai Motor Service who is very well respected here in AZ (and also works on my 550). The white TRs will also have a following due to Miami Vice (big MV fan here too!) and will always be in demand. You will find TRs for less money but by the time you put the money in them to get them right, you might as well by this one.

11. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    Thanks Mark appreciate the props. Unfortunately there are people out there that just don't get it, and fool themselves to believe that "cheap" Ferraris found online can be good and trouble free investments.

12. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Too true. It's also sad that the market values improvements and recent services at pennies on the dollar, completely ignoring the time and effort required to sort a car even if you're paying someone else to do the work. The *right* upgrades and services are are actually worth more than they cost because the buyer doesn't have to hassle with having them done and can start enjoying the car immediately (right being the operative word). Obviously that doesn't apply to those of us who want to do our own work, but even as a hands-on guy I realize there's a lot of value in buying a well loved car. It's amazing how few buyers truly understand this.

As to TRs not being worth six figures due to their production numbers, I agree with that just as I agree that 246s will never be worth serious coin because they're "not real Ferraris". ;)

13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would rather buy a sorted TR from a long time enthusiast than roll the dice at a dealership.

I freely admit, the first time I saw the white TR on Miami Vice I was hooked. I looked at a white with black interior TR when new in 1991. Salesman saw me pull up in my rusted 1972 Lesabre. Wouldnt let me touch it. As luck would have it, I bought THAT EXACT CAR 15 years later. I was digging through the original books and it was the same car I drooled at 15 years before.

Kris....your gonna miss her.

14. madmap

madmap Karting

Oct 14, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Christian, I recall that when I was in the market for a white TR, you bought the very one I was considering! It was out of a private collection and very nice car but you beat me to a purchase on that one. At least it ended up in good hands. Enjoy it!

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    HA! Yea, I kept seeing it on Ebay for weeks with a couple of fuzzy pictures and two sentences in the description. All the stars lined up and I had the cash, it was local and I thought, what the hell......go call the guy!

I ****e you not, this car was the cheapest auto in his collection. Im talking million dollar plus cars in an underground parking structure in Beverly Hills. It was his first Ferrari. It needed a few minor things but over all, rock solid. All documents since new, no stories, fresh belt service and get this....He threw in a car cover from a Mercedes CLK GTR! A 3 mil car, and I have its cover.

I showed up to the place of purchase (out of respect, I wont give details), with a backpack full of cash, a flashlight, toolkit and a laser thermometer. We exchanged greetings, then went down to the bat cave. Thats where I lost all composure and negotiating skills. We went for a quick test drive, I looked over the paperwork and docs. Since I owned another TR, I kinda knew what to expect and didnt obsess over a PPI. This was a no stories car in a bubble owned by a brazillionare. Literally.

He was asking X, I had x but not with tax etc. I just opened up my backpack, dumped out all the cash and said, 'Honest to God, this is all the cash I have.' He adjusted the asking price so I could buy it and pay the taxes and licensing. BTW, I wasnt bluffing. It was literally all the spare cash I had. He did me a solid and didnt have to. That guy got so many karma points that day........

But it gets better. Now im in Beverly Hills around Christmas time and Uber was not a thing back then. We did the deal and he says, 'Go ahead, take the TR home, Ill have your Range Rover flat bedded to your house tomorrow......my treat.'

Are you kidding me?! Yup, My daily driver was delivered back to my house via flatbed by noon.

If you are still with me....

I wanted to get the original window sticker. I googled the original owner via the stack of records. Lets back up a little. First owner is a well known high end European car franchise/chain in So Cal. He buys my car new and drives it for 1.5 years then sells to my seller who had it for.......the bulk of its life. So I call the original owners personal assistant and say, 'Hey, can you forward an email to XX?' She says no problem and does it.

One hour later, I get a reply from the original owner who is probably a billionaire at this point. He didnt have the window sticker but we hit it off and Ive flown him and his kids as charter passengers on my GIV. Awesome family, awesome guy and it was a nice connection.

Stardoc, gods speed and I hope you sell your amazing car to an amazing person who will be its caretaker for years to come. Your TR looks to be as spotless as they come.

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    There are some really nice people in this world.

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    nice to read this christian :)
    and you are right david with those nice people around
    unfortunately those few people getting less and less in our world - it is a pity

18. madmap

madmap Karting

Oct 14, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great story Christian! Yeah, I actually talked to the owner of your car and did some research on him and found out that he had an awesome collection of cars. I knew it would be a good car! And you are right, he was super friendly and loved talking about cars. I never met him but seemed like a really great guy.

19. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I get it. I'm a Porsche guy and everybody thinks the same way about 993 Turbo's. Some are cheap but those are also cars that have a lot of work that yet needs to be done.

Sounds like quite a few here can attest to the quality of your car. Any discount for a fellow (major !!) Miami Vice fan ?? :)

20. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Is the leather white or creama?

Thanks.

21. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Either. It is gray

22. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I meant neither. Damn Siri

23. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    The interior is gray. It's being considered for the Amelia Island Bonham's auction this August so I have some decisions to make...

24. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    #25 stardoc, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Great story. I can talk for hours about these cars, even if I know the prospective party is not going to necessarily buy my car. I just sold my 550 to someone in CA who bought the car sight unseen, but talked for hours Ferraris, Porsches, Lambos etc.