Flat 12 society inaugural run | FerrariChat

Flat 12 society inaugural run

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, May 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #1 boxerman, May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Instead of just a boxer run, we included a Tr, so from now on its the flat 12 society.
    First run today was blast. The cars run on roads as Enzo intended. Three hours solid back road running.
    Maybe in future we'll broaden the group to cars as Enzo knew them. Ie including others with 3 pedals and no nannies.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Beautiful cars, all three. Those are from the days when driving or even just seeing a Ferrari was an event and ownership required a real commitment to the machine. I'd love to have been there, or even to have seen those three out and about. The noise must have been great.

I want to see more pics of that Grigio Boxer!

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its was nice that none of the cars were shout at me colors, and while none had stock exhuasts they were tuneful rather than loud. As a result we kinda just slipped by most people, even when going through some small towns, as opposed to being like the circus arriving..

Those who knew what they were looked, the others didnt even notice. Flying under the radar is the best way to go.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  5. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    When you do the next one, I'd love to join you. Unless a resale red TR would be a bit too gauche in such tasteful and muted company. I'll keep the exhaust flaps closed.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

For me it was 300ish miles of bliss, well almost, as I did have to contend with the Sunday afternoon congestion at the Throgs Neck Bridge getting back to Long Island. Best drive for me in a very long time.

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Pretty car. Keeping some really nice company in that first pic.

I love the name Flat 12 Society. It works on more than one level. :)

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah people accuse us of being luddites because we dont love paddles esp eps and nannny driven computer cars in general, which are apprently the "future". So flat 12 society is tongue in cheek reverse humor on the flat earth society.

On the topic of analog vs digital. The limit of speed attainable on even open roads is a function of sanity. You can only go so fast into a corner you cant see out of. Is 120 way too fast on an open stretch two lane.

Whatever speed you can do in a boxer a 458 will do it quicker, only for reasons of sanity on road you cant go faster regardless of car. The difference is in an anologue car, you're doing the speed, youre workign for it, youre holding the balance of the car on a bend with your brain hands and feet, not meerly suggesting instruction to a computer to interpret. So on any semi sane road attainable speeds a anologue car is orders of magnitude more entertaining.

Yes a modern is "faster", realisticaly though youre not going faster in a modern, youre just less entertained and engaged.

Your brain only processes the deer running into the road at a certain speed, you can only see out of a corner past trees etc at a certain point and compute the corner exit at a certain rate, regardless of what the car can do.

As DWhite pointed out to me when we stopped, 340hp and some decent torque was more than needed.

Not to say moderns are bad, its just a pity that so much of what makes a sports car fun on an open two lane is lost in the quest for greater capability and ease of use.

Flat 12 society indeed.

9. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Great post. I'm in 100% agreement. Flat 12 society indeed! Great name for an FB group. :)

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

All drivers and cars welcome. Provided youre not afraid of the right pedal and know when and how to use it.
    The great thing about a Tr is for the ride home on highway you have ac that works.

The boxer guys have to plan these trips when its not too warm or too sunny out. Fortunately yesterday with a start of 50 and high of 67 was near perfect.

11. gmonsen

gmonsen Karting

Jan 24, 2004
    Near Bethlehem, PA
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I look forward to the next run of the flat 12 society.

Modern sports/gt cars may be fast, but they are no fun.

12. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Looks like fun!
    Sorry I didn't attend, it was just too far of a haul for me.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I love the name. You should start the International Flat 12 Society.

15. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    #15 wlanast, May 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK, let's start a West Coast chapter! Sean, great you got a group together as a template for the rest of us.

We had a little LA urban assault with a flat 12 brother (and another plain flat brother, lol!) and the drive was intoxicating. Even the "residents" on the LA River appeared out of their tent flaps at the sounds and gave us the thumbs up/egged us on! Rumor was Magnus Walker heard us, but couldn't catch up. :)

Magnificent machines, indeed!

OK great SoCal flat 12ers, let's hold up a Left Coast banner, chime in.

16. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Glad to see you guys in LA enjoying your cars. Maybe post to the West coast section and see how much activity you get. Prob is "local" can mean two + hrs away. The event which seems to unite the west is the VC Hillclimb. Great fun, but a serious undertaking. 3 day deal - Awesome drive up, great drive up the mountain for 2 days. followed an exhilarated but exhausted drive home. I ran the VCHC for years and only recall 2, maybe 3 boxers, and similar number of TR's