TR battery advice | FerrariChat

TR battery advice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by tommydogs, Jun 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    So I went to take the TR out to lunch today, and the battery was dead. I wrestled it out of the car and have had it charging for a couple of hours, but I'm wondering if I should put it back in, or replace it.

It's an Interstate MTP-27. It's a monster. Huge. I had to tilt it diagonally to get it out of the battery compartment. 7" x 7.75" x 12".

Should I put it back in when it's done charging, or buy a smaller battery? If buy a smaller battery, any recommendations?

Also, any recommendations for anti-corrosion spay? There's a bolt with an electrical connection in the battery compartment (next to headlight) that looks pretty oxidized.

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    How long has it been dead for? Lead acid batteries never come back if they've been dead for a long time (weeks)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    It seemed to fire up just fine last Tuesday (6/13) night. So sometime between then and today.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    The stock TR battery size is the smallish Group 47 (but they had a reason to try to keep the weight down). If you want to go larger (I did and many do) use Group 34R. Group 27 is just way too big (I'm surprised that you could get it in/out as even a Group 34R is difficult).

5. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Thanks. I was sweating like a pig in Texas summer trying to get it out. My mechanic had put it in maybe 3 months ago -- don't why he chose that size. Oddly enough, on the Pep Boys site, it lists 27F as the battery type for a TR. I'll have to take a drive down there and hope they've got the size I want. I'll try the 34R.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    could someone please put in here a link about the battery sizes you have in the US?

for example 27F and also 34R says nothing to me
    here we have batteries described with how many Ah and max. Amp., then the dimensions and if + is left or right and also if the buttom has a high or a low "food" to fasten.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  8. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Interstate 34r perfect fit.

9. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Went to Pep Boys and picked out a Bosch 34. Their Platinum Gel or AGM battery. Was a total breeze putting it in and hooking up. Mine had a handle, so I think that made the job of getting it in place a lot easier. Car cranked right up.

I guess I'll put the old battery up for sale on LetGo or OfferUp

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you very much steve

the link with AC delco is great

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #11 Melvok, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How much was it in Dollars Tommy ? I guess a lot cheaper than an oem battery of around $ 450 :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    It was expensive compared to other battery types at the store, but at around $189, was still less than half price of OEM battery you quote.

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The red one was dead in my 458 Tommy, I replaced it with the non-oem one on the right side ... cost only $ 100. (although looks otherwise, exact same size and 74 AH capacity)

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    give thought to getting a deep cycle, RV battery... it is designed to deliver small amounts of power over a long time for accessories when the main engine is shut down... starting batteries are designed to deliver a large burst of power for a second or two as in a start, but fail miserably when they need to drip power over time ... the AH or ampere hour rating is the reserve capacity or the amount of power available, the more the better... especially for seldom driven cars, there will be more time before the battery gets drained... depending on usage it could eliminate messing with maintaner CCA spec are in the 650+ range of a std battery, while the reserve capacity can be 140AH or more which in most cases is double of a starting battery, allowing for more time to feed the accessories

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I believe the above is wrong for a vehicle. Auto batteries use heavy current to start then are recharged by the alternator quickly. So they are short cycle.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I think so too David :)

17. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    that is what a starting battery is all about and what is wrong by trying to use a starting battery to power up the long list of accessories...

suggest becoming familiar with current battery technology to where disinformation is not being spread.

18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I will admit I don't know. But somewhere I read not to use a deep cycle battery in a vehicle that is driven regularly. If this is not true, I would welcome being corrected.

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #19 Melvok, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    do some reading and become familiar with current battery technology... and not rely on out dated disinformation... you will quickly find that things have changed a lot, with many choices to refine the correct choice for the intended application... there is much more to a car battery than the 12V marked on it... the "old" lead acid battery can be the better battery of choice, even when compared to the new high priced exotic material batteries, depending on application and use... internal battery construction and materials can be skewed to favor particular application and use, which means one needs to understand what each specification of battery means... the 12V marking is only a beginning point to indicate what devices it will support, but nothing else about its' capabilities or use...

current technology deep cycle batteries are capable of delivering more than enough starting power ( an issue with prehistoric deep cycles )... again check the specs... the marine and RV industry has not used separate ( technology ) batteries for years, since the capabilities have been increased...

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #22 cheesey, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    the article describes the traditional thinking on the use of deep cycle batteries, and is dated with respect with current offerings and standards. Current battery design and application bridges the differences between the two battery designs, new battery offerings include the best features of both designs into one battery... a hybrid battery that can deliver good starting qualities while supplying enough power for the various accessories for extended period of time without crashing... there is a new generation of hybrid batteries coming to market soon that will be OEM from the car mfg... making the traditional starting battery obsolete...

22. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    What will be your choice if new battery is needed now ?

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    my preference would be to look to a deep cycle construction for cars that are not used frequently, this type of construction allows for a small drain ( accessories ) for an extended period of time without having the battery crash... this value is represented in the AH capacity, the bigger the better... std wet cell construction offers the best value for on going durability... the AGM construction is fantastic... for daily use and other regular / demanding use, their short coming is neglect or under use, as in stored or seldom used cars... the AGM do not like to be ignored and left in discharged state or under charged, the AGM do not like being brought from a discharged state which leads to their premature failure... where as a std wet cell tolerates abuse of being left discharged much better and when it comes time to replace the cost is significantly less... one must also consider the car's charging system is in most cases designed around using std wet cell, the wet cell charging voltage is lower than any of the newer constructions available... while the labels read for 12V application, internally the AGM and other newer constructions need higher charge voltages to get to full 100%, prevent full charge and early failure... there is a lot more than the 12V on the label... while new technologies are better, supporting them for designed performance becomes a problem by not extracting 100% of the capabilities... kind of like building a high performance engine and using a single exhaust

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the "normal" alternators with regulator are bringing between 14 and 14,4 V, so not only 12 V