Testarossa Stering Wheel | FerrariChat

Testarossa Stering Wheel

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by enzosteve, Jun 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi again,

My 1985 Testarossa steering wheel is splitting at the seam.

Do you know anyone that can restore the wheel?
    should I use glue?
    Should i find someone to stitch it back together properly?

Thank you!

2. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I looked into having the OEM (Momo) recover my original wheel (most of the grain has worn smooth) but apparently they don't do this. That said I'm sure there are specialty shops that can tackle this. Brings up a question though:

I've been curious for a while about the stitching--I've seen pictures of similar/same wheels where it was evident that the edges weren't actually stitched (sewn) together, but rather sewn while off the wheel (to make the threads appear to be "sewn") then the leather is (only) glued/bonded to the wheel. Hard to describe but sounds like what you are maybe describing with your wheel--can you comment whether that is the case?

Since you can't post photos you can e-mail to me and I can post them so we can better understand.

3. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve

Tim , I think we are talking about the same issue.

Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/aHBaB_iixsM

4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Yep, I wasn't sure if they were actually sewn together or not--I suspected not by the way the threads ran parallel to the seam vs. diagonally. Now we know. I don't think it would be too difficult to re-bond the cover. I'd personally take it to an upholstery shop to get their recommendation. I'm sure there is a high-bond adhesive that would work. I've used 3M and other brands of spray "contact" adhesive with mixed results. Some of the newer adhesives like Gorilla clear might do a better job but again, I'd seek some help from an auto upholsterer.

5. enzosteve

enzosteve Karting

Nov 14, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steve

Ok Thanks Tim

I will try that tomorrow

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any good upholstry firm should be able to help you; it will cost $$ ...

Or find one at Ebay ... ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Momo-steering-wheel-360mm-208-288-308-328-400-F40-MONDIAL-TESTAROSSA-/332295443957?hash=item4d5e5a15f5:g:B-UAAOSwImRYa3yr&vxp=mtr

How was your solution Enzo ... and Steve ?