I need a bolt for catalyst housing? | FerrariChat

I need a bolt for catalyst housing?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Jun 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hey everyone!

I was looking at things yesterday on my car and noticed I'm missing a bolt on the driver's side catalytic converter's housing. However, when I looked the part up at Ricambi, it's not a bolt, it looks like some kind of analyzing pipe? (#30 in the following drawing):

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1987/exhaust-system-for-u-s-sa-and-ch87.html

I just have bolts in mine. Does anyone else have just the bolts, and do you know when I can pick some up? ('87 US Testarossa).

Thanks!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    F PN 110860 (item 55 on that same page) + sealing washer will block those ports.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t know if the US versions are the same as the EU versions.
    if so then the bolts have the dimensions:
    thread: M 12 x 1,25
    length over all 12,5 mm
    thread length 8 mm
    head: 17 mm
    be carefull with the thread, this is not normal thread, it is fine thread

but I wonder: those 12 bolts ( 55 ) are in the exhaust manifolds, not in the catalyst housing.

or you mean number 19 in this picture?

seems to be the same because of the same parts number 110860

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ah, thanks for the info as always, Steve and Romano! Here's a pic of what the bolt looks like and the empty socket next to it in the precat/collector/whatever it's called. It's definitely not the cat where the O2 sensor plugs in. I found the above part number at allferrparts for *only* $14! So cheap! :)[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    that looks like a "test connection"
    but looks strange: 1 round connector with inside thread, then 2 hexagonal "nuts"(bolts) on it? how this work? can you make a closer photo please?
    the cat itself is from ZEUNA in augsburg/germany. I will have a look tomorrow in my basement, somewhere there I have a TR cat and then I will see exactly.

is this in flow direction before the cat or after?

6. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here's what it looks like on the passenger side. The engine side is the right, flowing to the left [​IMG]

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unfortunately, the "fix" done on your car is a bit of a kluge. The lower hex portion is the remains of the stock fitting for the broken sampling tube. 110860 would replace this lower hex piece (and it can be very difficult to get the remains of the old fitting out). The upper hex piece in your photo (with the 8.8 marking) is just probably a short M8 or M10 bolt -- i.e., it looks like someone left the old fitting from the broken off tube in place, tapped it with an M8 or M10 thread, and then added the short M8 or M10 metric bolt. Anyway, just wanted to warn you that the 110860 part will not replace the upper hex bolt. You'll have to remove one of the other upper hex bolts and then just match it up at the hardware store.

This is how 110860 looks installed after removing the old stock fitting:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    LOL greeeeat. On the plus side, you guys saved me $14! :) On the downside, looks like I need to figure out what to do about the missing bolt.

Thanks as always for you guys' input!

9. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Fyi took the exhaust off and good news! The one that's missing a bolt appears to not have the dual-bolt weirdness of the other holes - this socket is threaded and will look like Steve's when I buy the $14 bolt. Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Do NOT spend that $ 14 on a simple bolt Joe !

11. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  13. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The other thing you may find is a normal "hardware store" bolt will be too long and will bottom out in the fitting--someone may have used a hex nut as a "spacer" so the bolt wouldn't bottom out and seal against the crush washer. I have a second exhaust and rather than buy the expensive F-plugs I went the hardware store route but cut the bolts down to ~1/4 or 1/2" so they don't bottom out and do seal against the washers. $4.00 fix.

14. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  15. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
  16. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  17. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Also I got the other one #47 from a muffler shop for around 5bucks, beats F-prices for sure.

18. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #18 rpissm, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Sweet, yeah on another area of FChat (348/355 section) they're saying a replacement for the pipe-to-cat 512TR gasket 154984 (#47) (which superseded the TR's 121426) is the Felpro 60155. $3 each!

EDIT: Waaait, I was off by 1 number in the part number... 154985 is the 512TR part... no cheap replacement found for that yet.

19. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    And I replaced the hardware bolts with the plugs mentioned earlier. Perfect fit! All it took to get the old bolts out was a bit of Sea Foam![​IMG]