Carbon Fiber 512TR Body ?? | FerrariChat

Carbon Fiber 512TR Body ??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by A.P.D. 512TR, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. A.P.D. 512TR

A.P.D. 512TR Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bill Anderson
    #1 A.P.D. 512TR, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    ... hello all, i'm considering the manufacture of high quality carbon fiber body panels and fiberglass reproduction panels for the 512TR model, i am wondering if any or all of you could give me your opinion ?? good or bad, please feel free regardless of the area of opinion, price, quality, popularity, application, pros/cons etc ...

... no better source than the very people that own these cars ... also, i'm a newb here on the forum obviously, so hello everyone, this is an impressive place, tons of members ...

2. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You would be better off making panels for import tuner cars. Very few owners would modify an appreciating classic with CF panels.

3. A.P.D. 512TR

A.P.D. 512TR Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bill Anderson
    ... good point, that's certainly a concern, my gut is telling me the reproduction fiberglass panels would be a better approach ... ;)

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Anything less than a high quality reproduction aluminum panel would be a down grade on a collector car like the 512TR or TR. Just my opinion. I like your spirit though.

5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you might try this on 360's and 430's for guys who might have converted one to a racer. or make parts to fit the challenge cars.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Dont see a market for it. Agree with the above re collectors wanting originality.

Plus, Its so heavy already that the weight savings from cf wont really make that big a difference.

Maybe better if you can make cf body for 458? Scud?

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t see an advantage making those in fiberglas or carbon fiber
    weigth would be nearly the same and first you have to built a molding what takes much time and then I think there will not be much asking for those parts.
    try to make those for newer cars what are more produced
    but good idea :)

8. A.P.D. 512TR

A.P.D. 512TR Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bill Anderson
    #8 A.P.D. 512TR, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Other than Exotic Auto Recycling (FerrParts) where are the best places to find body parts for the Testarossa, 512TR, and 512M ??

... My thoughts were really just as an alternative possibly, due to just how difficult it is to aquire these parts, it's basically an organ donor program lol, so obviously i could bring these components to market at a price far less than used body panels for these cars sell for, it is a tough decision ... at least there would be an option to go to vs hoping and praying for an original part to surface ??
    ... But my thoughts were CF was a more suitable replacement considering the rareness of aluminum panels and would be an upgrade, lighter also, especially if original panels can't be located ... ;)

... But I am very interested in what you guys think, so please keep going with the feedback ...

... I would also be in the need for panels to make molds from, so if anyone would be willing to allow this, I may be able to provide a CF version of which ever panel I mold from in exchange for the assistance, maybe anyone getting one of these cars painted anytime soon or know of a restoration going on with one ?? ... obviously documentation would be required ...

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Any idea on weight savings?

I did carbon front/rear bumpers on my 355 and saved 80lbs. This also deleted the side marker lights.

Why do you want to do this for the 512, do you own one?

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I can't imagine anyone modifying the 512TR nowadays, or in the future. Except maybe a one-off.

However, maybe this market would be more receptive.

Ferrari Replica Kits

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I don't think there are enough Fiero's left :rolleyes:

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    True, and that's a great thing for Fieros.

But nowadays the replica platforms often include the Toyota MR2 or tube-frame structures.

13. A.P.D. 512TR

A.P.D. 512TR Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bill Anderson
    ... A component made from standard carbon fiber of the same thickness as an aluminium one will offer 31% more rigidity than the aluminium one and at the same time the weight will be 50% less and also have 60% more strength ... If CF thickness is reduced slightly the weight reduction goes beyond 50% ...
    ... Which brings up some important questions for me, just how thick are the aluminum panels on a Testarossa (TR,M) ??? ... And what does just the body weigh ??

... and I am working on building a Testarossa for road course racing, with aluminum suspension, Baer brakes, chromoly tube chassis with a Carbon-fiber body that clones the 512TR model ...

14. A.P.D. 512TR

A.P.D. 512TR Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bill Anderson
    ... This project is based on a factory built Testarossa, panel fitment must retain OEM quality, no Fiero or MR2 rebody stuff, this thing will literally look just like a 512TR, only in high grade carbon-fiber ...

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #15 Wade, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lots of very accurate replicas were built on tube-framed structures...

Maybe check with Eurospares to see if they still have their "new" TR in stock, and maybe a trip to England is in order.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I believe William h on this board had a track tr back in the day. contact him for info on it

17. A.P.D. 512TR

A.P.D. 512TR Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bill Anderson
    #17 A.P.D. 512TR, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    ... Wow, excellent information guys, looks like very good resources for sure !! ... the car pictured above is that a real Testarossa yes ? I didn't see anything on the new TR on their website ? Did William H. ever make any threads on the forum with his car ?? Would love to see that ...

18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    The surface quality of composites doesn't match metal panels even when new.
    With ageing, the problem increases.
    Plastic panels also react heavily to temperature change.

Just park an Evora (which is a very nicely finished plastic body car) next to a Testarossa or equivalent and critically check the panel highlights at a flat viewing angle.

19. A.P.D. 512TR

A.P.D. 512TR Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bill Anderson
    ... any panels regardless of what they're made of require extensive blocking work using multiple guide coats etc to provide a dead flat mirror finish and Carbon-Fiber is no different, it's really a matter of the level of flatness of the panel that the molds are pulled from, the better the panel, the better the part, this just takes time, i've seen full Carbon-Fiber cars require very little work to be painted, but it's not easy to make CF of that quality either ...

... then again, it's not easy to make any panel of that quality ...

20. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

Yes, its a real Testarossa tub. I dont know how they came to own it or how it left the factory, but its the real deal.

21. A.P.D. 512TR

A.P.D. 512TR Rookie

Jun 27, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bill Anderson
    ... where are those pics on the website ?? ... i couldn't find them ...

22. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Wish I could help, but if you called Eurospares they can provide documentation. The pics are semi common knowledge.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    There is absolutely no market for CF panels.

We want our icons to be real ! :D