My 512TR dropped all of its... | FerrariChat

My 512TR dropped all of its...

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by E_Man, Jun 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    coolant. Drove the car 25 miles and ran really well, parked it and the next day we noticed coolant underneath the car. Not just a small amount either. The expansion tank is completely empty and I'd guess the car dropped at least a gallon if not more. It appears that the coolant leaked out of the driver side radiator just in front of the rear driver's wheel. I haven't had a chance to put the car on a lift and inspect it yet. I am hoping an old hose contracted and disconnected when the car cooled down, or maybe split? When the car was at operating temp, there were no leaks. It was hours later before it started leaking fluid. Has anyone experienced this before?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes -- as you noted, at the higher operating temp this softens, and expands, the rubber and can help the hoses seal better (even though it's under pressure when warm). Best case would be just needing to nip up a hose clamp, but, if your hose couplings haven't been replaced since new, the hoses can be pretty hard/brittle by now.

3. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thank you Steve, I hope you are right.

4. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    #4 tvu, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    I had it happened - and had to replace one of the radiator( ~ 2K) since it cracked. Hope it's a simple & cheap fix for you like Steve mentioned.

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    coolant leaks can be hard to find sometimes. make sure you really trace the source. just because its dripping from one spot doesn't mean it originated from there. they can take weird paths.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any news Eric ? :)

7. Guegangster

Guegangster Karting

Apr 24, 2014
    France
    Full Name:
    Julien Guegan
    I had the same pb on my BB512i after a major service. Turned out to be a loose hose. No leak after driving, only happened at night. Couldn't find where it was coming from.
    Brought the car back to the Ferrari dealership that did the service, and they quickly fixed the pb.