Beverly Hills Car Club and Gullwing motors; thoughts? | FerrariChat

Beverly Hills Car Club and Gullwing motors; thoughts?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Jul 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I have in the past interest in their cars.
    I have seen decent feedback on BHCC terrible on Gullwing what's your experience?
    Also did anyone sell a car to them for cash? Before I bought my testarossa i was interested in one for sale at a local dealer for 100k,37k miles and I wanted to see how much BHCC would give for it if it was mine they said 65k so no much lol.
    Let me know what you think of them both. Seems sometimes they have good priced cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Gullwing in ny? I bought an e type from them 6 yrs ago. Good experience.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Yes this Gullwing. I am curious as I read nasty stuff but I never purchased so I don't know

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    To my eye, both are a mixed bag. I'd say both focus on project cars. BHCC in particular has had some basket cases that I've seen.

I've read negative reviews of Peter Kumar (Gullwing), but I know several people who've dealt with him and say he's a straight shooter. I looked at a 456 there years ago that needed a lot of work, and they were upfront about it. I have also looked at several cars at BHCC, and the salesman was telling me how great the car was while things were literally falling off of it. But my guess is that it varies from car to car.

I've never known an exotic car dealer (or mechanic for that matter) that hasn't had someone say something negative about them. Even the really good ones. Good reputations are hard to earn and even harder to keep. It's easy to disappoint people.

If you're interested in any car, get a PPI by an independent 3rd party. That goes a long way to making the sellers reputation a moot point.

ag512bbi likes this.
  5. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Have no experience dealing with either of these dealers but have eyed their offerings for years.

Would like to add that it may be easier for a dealer to have bad things said when they are selling cars that are in need of some help / project cars and not 100 point museum pieces. These types of cars are always buy at your own risk and more likely to be full of surprises - a buyer needs to acknowledge this when heading in for that low priced "bargain" and not be completely surprised or throw out bad press unless the car was totally misrepresented at sale

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Very true! Heck I bought my testarossa from Ferrari of Orlando and they have been terrible... if I could give them a 0 I would...

ryalex likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    even so much? :)

8. Natkingcolebasket69

They didn't rip me off but the customer experience and the lies I got are incredible...
    My car came with some issues which their inspections missed and that now is forcing Ferrari of SF to fix for free. That's the only good part: the network!
    Can you believe they sold to California a car with no cats? Of course it sounds nicer but I failed smog and couldn't register... they claimed they had no idea but I did pay for an inspection lol
    At least I get free cats and rest pipes;)

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    BHCC can't be all that bad. After all, Gas Monkey Garage deals with them!

10. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    #10 JasonMiller, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have delt with BHCC a few times, in fact I will be there Monday afternoon checking out a Delorean,

Yes they buy anything and sell anything, however they are very honest and will supply you 100's of pictures if you request them. They will put the car on a lift and let you examine every part of the car.

PPI no problem. Simply put, yes they sell some basket cases and rust buckets but they admit what they are and there is a huge market for project cars so more power to them.

By the way, they have a TON of cars in their LA location... Here are some pics from my last visit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    For a while, I was at BHCC almost every weekend looking at TRs. I saw a review on them some time ago that I felt was extremely accurate, and it goes something along the lines of this: "they don't lie, but they're not exactly forthcoming".

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Funny was doing the same... looked like their TRs were not in great shape!

13. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    BHCC, with out going it to what I know, WALK AWAY.

14. NC Mondial

NC Mondial Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Paul Stahl
    My only experience with BHCC was selling to them. It was the most painless car sale I have ever experienced.

Do they pay a reasonable amount for your car? Not, even, close. But other than that little detail they were great to deal with. I had money in hand long before they had the title or had picked up the car for the trip from NC to CA. From what I have read the reviews from sellers are very good, reviews from buyers, not so much.

The car? 1982 Mondial.

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I sold them a basket case isetta. It took about a week to get it sold. They send a truck with a check for less than what the agreed upon price is. So I send the truck back and of course Alex Manos calls me yelling and screaming. Then they come back a day or 2 later, same thing. For them, third time is a charm. I mean we are talking hundreds of dollars less, not even worth the time, effort or gas for the truck. Who knows, maybe enough people just fall for it.

16. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #16 rpissm, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  17. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    I bought my TR from BHCC and I had no complaints. They were straightforward and very good at responding to emails. They didn't allow an off-site inspection which limits what kinds of testing the inspecting mechanic can do (if you get a 3rd party), but they were quite upfront about it. I'd buy from them again without any hesitation. A lot of their inventory needs work and they don't hide it - you just need to figure out on your own what work you're going to need to do to get it to pass inspection and get it on the road.

18. Natkingcolebasket69

When did u buy yours?

19. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    I have sold project cars to both Alex at BHCC and Peter at Gullwing. Both were very
    professional and easy to deal with.

20. axolotl

axolotl Rookie

Jul 27, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    tim
    Got mine from BHCC in May 2016.

21. Wizz

Wizz Rookie

May 24, 2014
    I thought I'd share my recent purchase experience with Beverly Hills Car Club.
    The description said "knock off Borrani Wheels". They looked fantastic in the description, vastly newer than anything else on the very rough car.
    On a basket case car, that's a substantial fraction of the value.
    I even asked for extra confirmation that they were truly Borranis before buying.
    (they didn't answered--notice?--the question, but they certainly knew it was important enough)

On receipt, they are cheap Daytons, clearly marked as such, worth maybe 600 new each instead of 2000+.

So I asked for a small refund to help with my financial pain due to their fib. Specifically, I asked for half the gap in the going price for used wheels.
    They said...get this...of course they aren't Borranis, "knock off Borranis" means "fake Borranis"!
    Yes, that's right...they are claiming that the term "knock off" when describing wire wheels means imitation, not wheels with spinners.

Flat out lie, of course, with a flat denial.
    Keep away. Far away.

Incidentally, about the inspections--I wanted them to bring in a guy to look the car over, at my expense.
    I pushed hard pre sale, twice. No dice. No extra pictures. Most questions dodged, over and over.
    They just make stuff up then take the money.

J

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Awful story. Sorry you had to go through that.

and this is why worst insult can give a business person of any type is to call them a used car salesman

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I wonder about the desciption: "knock off borrani wheels"
    borrani wheels AFAIK are always spoke wheels, and those to tight is only possible as knock on/off
    under knock off I understand central nut and not faked borrani
    so sorry to hear/read here about this bad case :(

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Do you have a picture of the ad or a pic of the car you bought with the rims?

25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    When considering a car from either of these companies, make certain you have zero expectations for the car. You are buying that car with that VIN, but expect the worse, hope for the best. They know very little about any of their inventory, and if they claim to know something about it, don't trust the info. The individuals who work there are largely clueless.

I snapped up a 911 from BCC a couple years ago because I was very specifically looking for a 74 911 coupe (lightest G-body cars ever :D, 2350lbs stock! ) , non sunroof, matching engine/gearbox and in rough-ish shape so I could restore the thing exactly how I wanted minus concern for it no longer being original. To date, this car is the only car in years of searching I found meeting exactly what I wanted, so frankly I'm happy I found it, but have literally zero expectations and expect to go through the entire car. Don't go to either expecting a car needing minor work etc.