512tr battery.... | FerrariChat

512tr battery....

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by bazzis, Jul 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bazzis

bazzis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sarratt, Herts
    was having a few electrical niggles with my car...would start and run but fuel gauge and oil temp gauge not working, and it didnt seem to be as smooth to drive as i remembered it. On advice i had the battery checked..was told it was not up to spec even though it started the car easily. I replaced it with a brand new 80 amp hour battery and the difference was amazing ! all the gauges now work and the car is running as sweet as ever. So if you have any electrical probs its wise to have battery checked first....!

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I don´t think that those problems you had are a matter of the battery. I think it was more a connection problem what now is solved.
    so if you still have the old battery put it in and try again and see what will happen. I´m sure that even with the old battery all is ok. but would be great if you could test again and let us know. thank you

a battery what is still ok for starting the engine normaly never can make those problems you described

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Clean the terminals on connections, I disassembled my battery cut off switch and cleaned the oxidation off the copper. Also cleaned oxidation off many of the switches and instrument dimmer, and fog light flash pull switch. These cars are getting to be 30 years old and need some care.

4. bazzis

bazzis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sarratt, Herts
    I recharged the original battery then took it to the shop for a check...they said it had one cell out and was advised to replace it...I agree that the terminals could be at fault ,but worth keeping in mind how sensitive this car is to battery voltage...i use the cut off switch all the time when leaving it for more than a few days....was told years ago that it helps to avoid corrosion...

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so you still have the old battery to test?

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    gauges are more sensitive to out of spec voltage... each has an operating voltage that will allow for reasonable reading, once a battery goes out of the required spec beyond the instrument's range the readings will become unreliable and false

one should heed any warning that a cell in a battery has failed... pointing to be able to start an engine with a failed cell in a battery is showing ones ignorance... starters have a wide tolerance for voltage range, starters are crude electric devices, even so they can be burned up with a low voltage battery or even possibly setting fire to the car... starters demand Watts (grunt/power) if the voltage goes out of spec low they make up the difference by demanding larger current flow ( amperes )... greater amount of amperes requires larger cables to carry the current... it is possible over load the cables allowing them to heat enough to melt the insulation or even start a fire... the same applies to the windings in the starter motor when the amperes exceed the capacity of the windings, the heat goes up melting the insulation in the windings shorting the starter and failing it... using a failed battery can get very costly, with respect to the potential damage that it can cause

7. bazzis

bazzis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sarratt, Herts
    I will check the battery cut out switch next...is it easy to remove...?

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Do not remove, it has function. Only if the contacts are burnt ...

But then try to obtain a used one at f.i. Eurospares in UK.