Mclaren MP-4 12C | FerrariChat

Mclaren MP-4 12C

Discussion in 'British' started by LightGuy, Oct 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  2. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    i really hope McLaren can give Ferrari a run for its money. Of all the other "exotics" its seems to be the only one that has a real shot since so much of Ferraris success is due to heritage/prestige/whatever. McLaren may not have the history, but it sure does have some race heritage!

Even lambo… They don’t quite care the same… how do you say… smugness or prestige due to no serious race history and “WOW look at that” approach to styling. Porsche of course has the history/race experience but not the “wow… that’s a Ferrari”ness that the prancing horse seems to conjure up… and Aston Martin isn’t sporty enough… Mclaren might have a real shot at being Ferraris biggest competitor.

3. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #3 LightGuy, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    If the 458 and MP4 are the same price or thereabouts, then yes the Mclaren seems to be the better, and also more exclusive, car.
    In my opinion the only other Mclaren to compare to is the F1 whereas the 458 is an evolution of the 430. Perception I know but thats the way it is.
    MP4 tub is Carbon Fibre. A huge gap from the 458 conceptually.

4. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    IMO there is not enough tie-in to the Mclaren Formula one team and history at the web-site.
    Also not alot to the F1 road car. THE standard for exotics of all time.

5. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    I'm so glad Mclaren is back on the scene its kind of like seeing your favorite wrestler return back to the WWE :)

I wonder who's going to be the first person to try and take a boost controller to that thing.

6. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #6 LightGuy, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  7. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It may or may not be very good, but they missed the boat with the styling. It would have been acceptable 10 years ago, it is so passe now.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The website, the technical information on it, and innovation is really impressive.

The looks and the interior leave me cold and the twin turbo engine leaves me worried.

But, my feeling is that like the F-1, this is going to be one heck of a car. Ferrari has a bit to learn from the boldness here of some of the engineering.

9. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche; welcome to the future.

"The McLaren MP4-12C MonoCell, or 'tub', not only brings dynamic benefits, but also offers fundamental engineering opportunities that form the basis of the car’s unique character. It has been designed to allow a much narrower structure overall which in turn contributes to a more compact car that is easier to position on the road and more rewarding to drive.

This is the first time a car in this market segment has been based around such a strong and lightweight racing car engineering solution and the first time any car has ever featured a one-piece carbon fibre structure. This step change in sports car design means that the 12C introduces new standards not just in handling, ride and outright performance, but also economy and practicality in an already very competitive sector.

The 12C MonoCell also offers greater occupant safety because it acts as a safety survival cell, as it does for a Formula 1 car.

“The whole 12C project is based on the concept of the MonoCell. This means that McLaren can launch into the market with greater performance than our rivals and a safer structure, said Claudio Santoni, McLaren Automotive Body Structures Function Manager."

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #10 TheMayor, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    I think this is going to be a really amazing car. But, I'm not buying all the McLaren PR BS. I've heard it before.

11. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Am I the only one who thinks the front is veeery 458-ish, the side gills are Saleen-ish and the rear is unique but homely?

This car strikes me the same way the GTR did. Clearly fast and capable but I dont want to look at it.

Just my $.02

12. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #12 LightGuy, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
    Per Mclaren's site;

Frank Stephenson, McLaren Automotive Design Director, explained: “Many sports cars and super cars present an ‘in-your-face’, ‘look-at-me’ image that can become wearing and boorish; the ultimate backhanded compliment becomes, “…it was of its time”. Great design, however, is timeless and looks relevant years later. With the 12C we have produced a car that looks great today and will still look great in years to come.”

I sort of agree with the above but wish they had copied their own F1 design more closely as it was/is the greatest Supercar of all time.

The use of twin turbos will allow them to set whatever HP-to-weight goals they want to by merely upping the boost.

The Air-brake looks fantastic fully deployed.

13. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
  14. FriscoRays

FriscoRays Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2005
  15. Formula 1

Formula 1 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2005
    +1

This car is to 458 Italia what the NSX was to the 348, and we know what that lead Ferrari to produced don't we....the 355.

Mclaren you have thrown down the gauntlet by taking absolutely everything you know in F1 to produce the MP-4 12C.

Pray that history doesn't repeat itself.

16. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like an amazing piece of work for what it costs. Can't wait to see some comparison tests (as the Lewis & Jensen vid was a little obscure).

17. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    #17 Osiris_x11, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
    (I searched, this seems to be most relevant thread as well as in the right place. A late bump, it is what it is...)

So, in all honesty, who is getting one?
    The NSX, F50, McLaren F1, HSC (concept), and current Aston Martin VH-platform models (Vanquish, DB9/DB-S, Vantage, Rapide) have been models that truly perked me. And now the MP4-12C. Of-course the 360/430/458 are & were exemplary vehicles in their time/era, but this McLaren offering resonates well w/ me - to a very high degree.

I truly hope to be in the position to acquire one in 2-3 years (I believe it's to be a '12 model in mid 2011 release?).

Anywayz, some great links (must reads, make some time if you will) for all the advance tech' that goes beyond the mag'z #'s...

Suspension-walkaround: http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/09/2012-mclaren-mp4-12c-suspension-walkaround.html

Carbon-composite MonoCell details: http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/f1-inspired-monocell-racing-safety-for-the-road%283%29

18. mikeglore

mikeglore Rookie

Aug 25, 2010
    NewOrleans/Ms.
    Full Name:
    Michael Glore
    Not #1 and above #10 at Parkplace Dallas. Got on list Jan. this year. First saw it in July at Goodwood Eng. and again at Pebble. I was asked to configure the car mid July.
    It should be a welcome change from my Lotuses

19. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    That's great, congratz' on the forthcoming acquisition. I'd love to hear about the configuring, procurement, and contractual process. Also, what all involvement, communication, and protocol you were part of. It's more-so personal curiosity as I'm quite enamored w/ any/all McLaren race/factory stuff.

By no means am I in the position to even ponder such, at this very moment. But, I hope to eventually be there in the coming two or three years. I am so incredibly tempted to reply back to their default email from their website's e-configurator ("yes, I'm interested in purchasing; please contact me!" :D)... as this offering has me incredibly excited & suits my tastes/preferences & wants/needs (almost) perfectly.

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not a name that just rolls off the tounge, still sounds like a zip code.

21. Cariad

Cariad Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2006
    Any F1 Circuit
    Well I will find out Thursday November 19. Preview and private viewing in Tampa FL.

22. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Been waiting to see what the consensus is on shortening it... MP-4 or 12C.

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not an F1?

24. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I was interested but a bit disappointed with the weight. I was told 2866 --- DRY. On further cross-examination, that means no fluids of any kind, coolant, oil, fuel, etc. First of all, McLaren knows what the car really weighs, and to not announce that is disappointing. Second, the fluids have to be significant, since the turbo charge coolers are liquid-to-air, with radiators in the nose. Engine radiators are in the side pods, so that reduces coolant run. But then again, the dampers and shifting and power steering have hydraulic lines that run to all 4 corners. I am going to guess that the weight with operational fluids and 1/2 tank of fuel will be about 3100 lbs. Very good, but when compared to a body-on-frame Corvette Z06 is not that amazing. I was hoping under 3000 lbs all in with fuel and it seems clear that will not be the case.

I can wait

25. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I thought this had some interesting long termer info:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GacWzPT2Lh0[/ame]