Any Bentley Continental Owners? | FerrariChat

Any Bentley Continental Owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by Dohangs, Mar 11, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Wondering about your experience w/ Bentley Continental GT. Any maintenance issues? Driving experience? Looking at getting one within a year of two. Also looking at a Maserati Gran Turismo?
    Any general Info would help.
    Thanks

2. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    We just did a starter replacement ,$3200 in labor alone!!!

3. Supercarlover

Supercarlover Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Joshua B.
    I am a Bentley Service Advisor. The Bentley Continentals are great cars, but can have expensive repairs if required. I definitely recommend getting a car with a Bentley Extended Service Program. This can help limit out-of-pocket expenses should anything go wrong. Otherwise, I have clients with 60K-90K miles on their GTs/Flying Spurs and they are running fine. Just keep it maintained properly. :)

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    We've had a coupe and then a GTC. They don't seem to like to sit, so the the battery tender is a good idea. Otherwise, no trouble with either car - my wife has been the primary driver, takes hers everywhere and loves it; I enjoy driving it from time to time when it's available. Depreciation can be horrible, of course, but I doubt the Maserati would be much better.

5. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Would most likely be wife's daily driver. Not sure if this would be a good daily driver. I love the look of the car. Haven't had the chance to drive one yet. Would most likely get a preowned so I'll try to get the extended service plan with it.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ?!? either the labor rate is really high, starter replacement takes WAY too long, or both! :(

7. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    pretty sure it requires engine out... IIRC

there was a thread a while back about having to replace the rear glass if the 3rd brake light goes out... don't remember the specifics.

psych0hans likes this.
  8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    #8 absent, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm on my second one as a daily driver (Speed).
    No problems whatsoever,perfect car for Chicago weather (I replace wheels for Winter),great power that is always available because of AWD.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    The dash warning light ( check brake lights) comes on 50% of the time at start up, but the brake lights are working fine.
    The tire pressure system warning light always come on after 10 minutes every drive. The dealer checked it out and reset, but came right back on after a few minutes. I have gotten use to it and look at it is part of the joys of driving a British car. Don't get me ranting about Range Rovers...
    Besides these quirks, I have almost 20k miles on it and drive it several times a week. I highly recommend one now that they are 50% off new at 2-3years old.

10. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I've heard about the tire pressure system. Also read a few things about the parking sensors becoming an issue. Have you had any issues with the sensors? I guess if I want something more reliable I should stay with a Honda accord. I see you had some issues with your Range Rover. I haven't had any issues with mine as yet, but only have 7,000 miles on it so far. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

11. Minneapolitan Mike

Feb 4, 2009
    Minneapolis U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #11 Minneapolitan Mike, Mar 13, 2010
    Currently have a '08 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS and a '08 Bentley GT. I shopped the Gran Turismo against the CGT.

As stated before, get the extended service plan for the CGT as repairs are not cheap and don't let it sit for too long. I decided to get the CGT after learning how heavy it actually is... I titled it as a work truck and get a $25k per year tax break plus mileage deduction (talk to your accountant).

12. FerrariEnzo

FerrariEnzo Karting

May 16, 2004
    Shaker Heights
    Full Name:
    Holden
    Brilliant!

13. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    That's a great idea. I think my brother did the same thing w/ his Hummer.
    Another plus for the Bentley!

14. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    No problem with the sensors yet but I have read about it. My RR was an 06 and had the differential failure on the highway that at least 30% of them had. What really still pi$$e$ me off is the local dealer would not even give me blue book in trade ( less than 1 year old and immaculate), and would not come off MSRP on a Sport. Will never do that again.
    I do recommend the Bentley though. Besides the two electrical gremlins , I did have a window regulator go out. $1k. Bt that is about all.

15. somedayaurora

somedayaurora Karting

Feb 16, 2010
    Is that the cars & coffee at the Auto Motorplex in Minnesota ? thinking about making the trip this spring from Winnipeg .
    SDR

16. Minneapolitan Mike

Feb 4, 2009
    Minneapolis U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Indeed it is. I think that pic was from August '09. They have a pretty serious event on their hands out there... There's more info in the regional forums. Talk to Luis.

17. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interesting... I had mentioned it to my accountant and he said it wasn't on the list of qualified vehicles. Suppose I have to explain to the DMV why I need to re-title a GTC as a work truck!

18. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #18 raptorduck, Mar 16, 2010
    I love mine and drive it 2-3 times per week and on all long solo trips. It is fast, classy, luxurious, and dependable. The navigation is not the best, but everything else is first class.

It does need to be on a battery tender and I have had the tire pressure monitoring system issue. The sensors in the tires are the type that need bateries (other systems don't) and so you have to replace them, else the system malfunctions and annoys the hell out of you. That is not a cheap job.

I have had no other issues in the past few years with it and it has only had to be in the shop for regular service.

I have a few friends with Masirati Grand Turismo's. Those are beautiful cas inside and out. Apparently they have had some electrical problems etc, according to my friends and one is getting rid of his because of his issues with the car. But I don't know if these are just outlier experiences and see those cars everywhere so they seem popular.

19. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Love your garage Raptorduck. Great collection of cars you have there.

20. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    lol i love it

21. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Let's see..... Bike pictures

I know the first one is Carl fogerty and the 111 is Aaron slight. I think one is Colin Edwards.

Hints please ;)

22. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Good eye. Valentino on opposite walls, but on that wall Fogarty, 2 Ben Bostroms, an Eric Bostrom, Slight and Micky Doohnan.

23. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    You know I remember being a nut case for motorcycle and racing back in the days. I used to watch the weather channel religiously and craved going home from work so i could ride. I also remember going home one day and getting off my bike, a gixxer 1000 at the time, and saying To myself, Im done. It was no longer fun to ride. It wasn't the bike or the rush of speed, it was my surroundings. Doing bike night was no fun either cause all the guys did was go balls out down the highway. We have nice roads to ride on but it's an hour and a half away. Plus too many cops cause kids were wrecking everyday. My brother in law just purchased another ducati, a 2004 998s. He tries all the time to convence me to get another bike but the thing is he hardly ever rides too. Hhe spark is just gone. I love track days though, but so hard these days with 2 young little ones.

But i do still watch every race.

My 360 spider will be ready for pickup wednesday. Im more excited to stop by the Bentley dealer to see the GT. The more and more I look the GT looks like e car for me. I will probably end up spending more, but i think i will be happier in the end. From what I have read so far, they are holding up pretty well as long as they are maintained.

But i have to test the QT just to say i tried all the candidates.

My spider is red too so i guess i will have to get a black GT ;)

24. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Yea. Nothing you can do on the road with a motorcycle will ever be anywhere near as fun as on the track and on the track, you just might live to tell about it. Alas, I only commute to work on my 2 bikes now and do a ride with old racing friends once in a blue moon.

I also never miss a race though, whether road or dirt. It is soo much safer from the couch to boot.

25. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    LOL. Ask your accountant if he knows what a red flag is. ;-)