Any Aston Martin V8 Vantage Owners? | FerrariChat

Any Aston Martin V8 Vantage Owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by raptorduck, Mar 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I am going to be pulling the trigger on a couple new toys this summer, including a V8 Vantage coupe (2007-2009). While I have driven them quite a bit, including on a track so have a collection of short term impressions, I am wondering if any owners here can opine on long term issues with the car and things I should look for and also give me your overall long term impression of the car.

2. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
  3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    They are nice cars, but not cheap to maintain, and as a drivers car it was just okay, if it were me I'd buy a used 997, better car in every aspect except looks.

4. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #4 raptorduck, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    Thanks, but I am not a Porsche guy. Way to common a car for the cost. Plus, I think Astons are the most beautiful cars on the road just about and having spent time at their factories have always wanted to get back into the Aston fold.

When you say not cheap to maintain, do you mean more expensive than a Ferrari to maintain? In addition to my Ferrari, I also have a Bentley and owned an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Volante for a number of years so know the cost to maintain those cars. From driving the Vantage, it seems it would be cheaper to maintain than that group. Do you feel the opposite is true? Why?

5. HOF Ferrari

HOF Ferrari Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Canton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    AFG
    I looked at the Vantage and the DB9, and liked the DB9 way more than the Vantage, look at both before you settle on a Vantage!

6. Execproducer

Execproducer Karting

Oct 4, 2004
    South OC
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I owned a 2007 speed yellow V8 Vantage coupe. Overall, it was a very impressive car. It looked fantastic! Performance was good but not great -- although, I had previously owned a Ferrari 360 Modena and a Lamborghini Gallardo. Never had any mechanical problems with it and it didn't seem expensive to maintain. Because of the relatively ho-hum performance, though, I finally went on to an Audi R8. I do miss the AM, though. I like the fact that you don't seem them around very much (where I lived at the time in So Cal, it seemed nearly everyone had a Porsche, Maserati, etc.). Bottom line: if you're after performance, there are better options. If you want a nice balance of a comfortable, beautiful and peppy car, it's a nice way to go.

7. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I happen to love the look of an Aston, in fact I am looking at a DB9 right now, but I do not think they are sports cars, and I heard from a dealer it costs $650 to change the air filter in a vantage, they told me most of it is labor, you have to take a lot of things apart to do it. I have found I have a much different idea of what is a sports car and what it should do than most people, which is why I take all my cars apart a rebuild them to fit my needs, and I do not care if they are worhless to anyone other than me, since I would not want to own them the way they come from the factory. If the car moves you, then good luck, and enjoy

8. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #8 jimmyb, Mar 27, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

$650 for an air filter change?????

I just thought of a funny scenario...If the Vantage has a timing belt, wouldn't it be an odd deal to take your car in for an air filter service and you tell them: While you're got it apart, go on and replace the timing belt and the water pump".

Jimmy

9. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I have driven the DB9 on the track the same day as the V8 Vantage. Great and beautiful car, but the DB9 is a GT car like my DB7 was and the V8V a more focused and sharper car and I like its lines better.

10. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Thanks. I am actually also looking for an R8. I took the Audi R8 driving school in a V10 at Infineon raceway and it was awesome though I would want a V8 R8. I really want both cars. I know the AMV8 is not as fast as a lot of cars, but it is not slow either. I want it as an all around sports coupe with drop dead gorgeous looks (I feel that way about the R8 too). I agree with you on what is common. I live in San Diego and R8's and AMV8s are seen down here, but are probably the most rare high end cars. Neither my Bentley or Ferrari stand out much in my neck of the woods and Porsches are more common here than a Prius in San Francisco.

11. Full-blooded

Full-blooded Rookie

Nov 13, 2007
    Maine
    I have a 360 modena and love when I dont have to deal with an engine light or other mechanical issue the continues to crop up. I recently bought a 08 Vantage and love it. You get in the car and just drive the hell out of it with no worries. So far it been great

12. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I've owned 2 V8 Vantages (1 coupe, 1 convert.) and I loved them as daily drivers. My only comment would be that I thought the F1 paddle shifter was too slow, I preferred the 6 speed stick.

John

13. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #13 raptorduck, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    I have only driven the stick version V8V's and have heard that the sportshift is clunky. Have you driven a 360 F1? I think it is clunky and from what I hear the V8V may be better. Either way, I am preferring a stick V8V.

Looks like one of your Vantages is Toro Red, which is one of the two colors (other is black) I am interested in. How do you like your R8? It is the other planned purchase of mine.

14. chewitt

chewitt Rookie

Dec 10, 2009
    #14 chewitt, Apr 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Bought my wife a '08 Vantage Convertible at what was close to the bottom about 13 months ago and it has been perfect. What my wife really likes is that I honestly prefer my C6 Z06 to the Vantage so I leave her car alone.

16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    my partner has an 07 vant cab in lite green with dark green top and tan interior. its nice but claustrophobic with top up. its had multiple, long stays at dealer for warantee work on trans. would have been over $15k if out of warantee!

i know its an exclusive car but i would prefer a new jag xkr for same money as a used vantage.

17. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    So ... what did you / will you buy? I'm not in the market, but I think the V-8 coupe is stunning.

18. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    Nothing yet. It will either be an Audi R8 or Aston V8V or both. I am a patient man and tend to take forever to make a final selection. It took me 18 months of looking for 360's before I pulled the trigger on one, 24 months before I pulled the trigger of my M-Roadster. I have been looking at this pair for about a year, but am getting more serious about it now.

In the meantime, having a great time test driving and looking. The chase is half the fun.

19. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Enjoy the ride!

20. giago

giago Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2004
    Full Name:
    Giago
    I haven't driven the R8 but I do with the V8V and I love it the sound was amazing, that and the looks do it for me.
    I'm thinking about changing my 997 c4s, for one of these or maybe a gallardo, or gt3, I'm not sure I want to do.
    Any thougts?

21. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    while shopping for an amv8, many owners told me to avoid the 06/07 due to electrical issues and that some of these "issues" were corrected in the 08 along w/ a small refresh. As you know the 09 got a bump is engine size so it has a little more power.

22. babyvantage

babyvantage Karting

Jan 4, 2009
    Toronto
    From 07 up are fine. Avoid anything before that.

23. Cayenne06

Cayenne06 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2008
    God's Country, NC
    Full Name:
    David J
    Had an 06 that I traded for my first 430. The seats were uncomfortable (improved 07 & up), and coming from a 997s I was disappointed in the power. I have not driven one with the new engine, but I still think it would be a disappointment. Now the V12 Vantage, that's I car I'd love to try........

24. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Are you replacing your GT? I know you mentioned you'll keep that for at least 7/8 more years.

25. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    #25 raptorduck, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
    No way. A 2 seat AMV8 is no replacement for a 4 seat GT car. This is an addition not a replacement to any of my other cars. It will either be this or an R8, possibly, but not likely, both. I indicated I would keep the GT for 7-8 years total, not 7-8more years so it could be gone in 4 or so years. For a guy who has averaged 18-24 months of ownership for his 35+ cars in his adult life, THAT is an eternity. My prior record is 5 years ownership (shortest is 4 months).

DISCLAIMER: THE AUTHOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO COMPLETELY CONTRADICT THE ABOVE STATEMENT IF HE GETS A COPY OF HIS MONTLY CAR MAGAZINE AND SOMETHING AMAZING APPEARS IN THERE THAT COMPELS HIM TO REPLACE HIS GT WITH IT. STATEMENTS MADE REGARDING YEARS OF OWNERSHIP ARE MADE ON INFORMATION AND BELIEF AT THE TIME SUCH STATEMENTS ARE MADE AND DO NOT REPRESENT THE FUTURE STATE OF MIND OF AN OTHERWISE OCD FICKLE AUTO ENTHUSIAST.