For guys who own the Bentley GT | FerrariChat

For guys who own the Bentley GT

Discussion in 'British' started by pingi3, May 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Ok, I am down to just my spider and land rover. I sold my M5 and will probably start to look for a replacement in the next couple of months. But what has peaked my interest is the Bentley Continental GT. I never finance cars so the prices have become attractive. But I have the age old question is it it worth it to get a used Bentley. When I purchased my Fcar, i knew about the expensive services and the common issues. I have spent about 7k in the past 7 months at the dealer but some are cosmetic stuff. I see the 04-06 GT prices around 70-80k. Any specific model year to stay away from? I have heard the starter costs around 3500 to replace. And saw where some of the dash lights go off and some can't be fixed.

This will help me feel out the owner experience, cost wise. The Spider costs around $300 at the dealer for a oil change, which i think is pretty good considering i think i paid more for the BMW. So how much for the Bentley?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I have owned a GT Continental for years and love the car. But it is an exotic and it is British so that means it is not as reliable as a German car. That said, it is my daily driver and has been very reliable. The only issues I have had are the batteries dying on the tire pressure monitoring system (not a problem with new models as they use a different system now) and battery issues 2 times (you have to run a tender on the running battery and that will make sure systems run every time, but your starter battery can go out after a while and will need to be replaced) at some point. Other than that, I have had no problems and those were not expensive problems.

If you go with a 2006 or later car, you should be just fine, and even with a 2005, but I would avoid 2004's. Overall costs of upkeep for routine service will be in line with your Ferrari as you will have to get it serviced at an exotic car dealer that charges more for labor. The same dealer that services my Ferrari, services my Bentley as they have dedicated service techs that specialize in each.

Overall vs your M5 (I have owned 7 BMW's including 5 M cars includling an M5), you will find more luxury and power, but remember the GT is well . . . a "GT" car. Straight line power and speed is most impressive once moving (0-60 of 4.5 is not as good as an M5 with the optimal take off settings) and above legal limits. The car will pull hard to 160 easily and start to trail off after that. Brakes are not as firm. It is not a BMW in the corners and will tend to oversteer rather than understeer.

Nav, believe it or not, is not as good as iDrive, which I have never been a fan of. It has a sport setting which shifts later in the rev range (or you can use the paddles, which I prefer), and an adjustable suspension to firm up cornering, which, along with a retractable spoiler, makes it quite a bit more sporty, but it is still a very heavy cruiser.

Fit and finish are first rate IMHO and as a guy who historically does not keep cars longer than 18-24 months, by my estimates, I will have this car 7-8 years before I trade it for something else. A replacement is not even on my long horizon yet. There is nothing in its class on the market or comming on the market I want more. Nuff said.

3. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #3 pingi3, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
    Thank you for your insights. You know the more expensive cars you buy the harder it is to replace them. What I mean by that is there are plenty of "normal" cars but not many exotics. After you own a Ferrari, I don't think I could buy a Nissan G-TR. I like BMW M5 but I just had one. I think I will visit my local dealer here soon. I think we have one in the Atlanta area.

If I picked one up, the s**t is going to hit the fan with the Mrs.

I'll tell her its for her.

4. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I had an Audi RS4 in my stable until about a year ago. Fantastic car. I liked even more than my M5. Drove like a race car and the quality and design/style of Audi's these days is the best among the German brands IMHO. But I still sold it after 2.5 yrs of ownership. I just always picked the GT when I wanted a 4 seater drive.

Just let the Mrs drive it from time to time and take her out for a dinner in it often and you will be fine. My Ferrari gets complements from mostly men (occasionally a female), while my GT draws women like a sale at Louis Vuitton (with occasional thumbs up from men), while my BMW S54 M Roadster gets complements from guys who really know their cars. My wife has "never" asked to drive my Ferrari and she takes the Bentley to the grocery store even though she has a huge Audi SUV.

5. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Hahahaha,

The Mrs might not like that the GT will get more stares from girls.

But yeah, I tried to stop by the dealer today to sit in one, but ran out of time. My fcar is at the dealer so I will stop by the Bentley dealer then since they are close by.

Interesting review of the Audi though. But for some reason, Audi's never appealed to me. Maybe cause the styling was always simple and safe. I do like the led accent lights in the front. That reminds me, I do like the look of the new R6, I believe.

I went through hell last year to find the spider. Something tells me probably the same this year. Hopefully what ever I pick up, I will enjoy as much as the spider.

6. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I do not think anything about the styling of the Audi R8 is either simple nor safe. I was not sold on Audi's until I drove my wife's the day we bought it and I bought the RS4 the same day. Never had an Audi before that. Now, in terms of German cars, I look at them first, then Benz, and then BMW. Until Bangle leaves BMW, that will always be the case.

Keith Darby likes this.
  7. BorisSF

BorisSF Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago
    Bangle left BMW a while ago... Last year Feb if I remember right

8. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Raptorduck really covered it. We've had coupes and a spider, and loved them all. A very nice GT, powerful and practical, a pleasure to drive. Hard to imagine what Bentley will do next in this segment.

9. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Mine would have to be BMW, Audi, Pontiac and then Benz. After the merger with Chrysler, their cars went from best to worst. First Benz was a 400E. Loved it. Second was a S320. Loved it. It was a tank with the true double pane window. I remember at high speeds you could whisper to your passenger it was so quite. Then I purchased a new S420. The worst ever. It was at the dealer all the time. Air suspension would go flat on it's own. Never fixed. The build quality was terrible. Felt like a ford. My sister in law purchased a E500. The ac would only turn on when you hit the dash. Have not purchased or thought of buying another one. Rant over

Has anyone seen the new spy shots of the new GT coupe? Looks very similar with subtle changes.

10. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    #10 Innovativethinker, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
    An 06' for under $90k?

Where did you see this?

11. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    eBay. I know not the best place to gauge the market.

I talked to a guy who owned a GT before and he said he found another a couple of years ago. I think he said a 06 with 30k miles for 58k. I know all prices are subjective to condition but I heard the same thing when I was looking for my spider. I have a friend who plays for the Steelers and he buys everything wholesale at an auction for way below market. He had a GT, spider and a SL 600 that he got through an auction the last time I talked to him. My last car off eBay was a viper. Not sure if eBay is a safe place to buy exotic cars.

12. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Well I looked on eBay and only found 1 for under 90k. An 06 with 30k miles. So i guess 70 to 80k for 04-05 and 80 to 100k for 06-07

I might be hooked guys. I'll know after I get a chance to sit in one hopefully next week when my fcar is finished.

Does Bentley offer extended warranties for cars purchased outside of dealers?

13. RDzingel

RDzingel Karting

Jan 16, 2008
    Buy a Phaeton and save yourself $100k......

14. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Is that from personal experience?

My cousin has one, and it is a nice car but would get a Audi 8. Are ou saying the VW is more luxurious and sportier than the GT cause that is what Im looking for.

Saving money is always great but then why not just buy a Chev Malibu.

15. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    I had a chance to stop by the Maserati dealer today and looked over a nice used 07 Quatroporte. Must admit I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the car. My only concern was for the leather seats. Looked like it was about to start fraying in some areas. I hate it it when the whole car looks clean but then you look at the seats and they are worn down. But anyway, i was impressed. Also glad to hear that the services are very normal like a BMW. No belts to change every 3 years. I definitely have added the Quatroporte to my short list of potential 4 seaters for this summer.

I ran out of time to stop by the Bentley dealer. But i took my wife out to a local mall to shop for mothers day. It was a sign from up above. Wow, they had a Quatroporte in one corner of the mall, a new 7 series BMW that i am thinking about in another and then the.... You guessed it, a brand new GT Speed. Wow was that thing gorgeous. Didn't like that it only had 2 seats but besides that it was impressive! 281K is out of my budget but just seeing it in person puts it definitely in the forefront of my list. Kuddos to you guys with one.

Can't wait to test drive the GT and Quatroporte.

16. malebomb01

malebomb01 Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2010
    Big D
    #16 malebomb01, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
    06 coupes

05/06/10 RIVRSIDE Regular $72,250 55,364 Below SILVER 12G A Yes
    04/30/10 MANHEIM Regular $79,400 39,337 Avg BLUE 12G A Yes
    04/29/10 MANHEIM Regular $77,700 44,713 Avg BLACK 12G A Yes
    04/13/10 ARENA Lease $93,000 13,774 Above BLACK 12G A Yes
    04/08/10 RIVRSIDE Lease $92,000 13,502 Above GREY 12G A Yes
    04/07/10 W PALM Regular $82,200 30,122 Avg BLACK 12G A Yes

17. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    Get an Audi S5....they look WAY better and are cheaper!

18. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    That's the car i meant. Isn't there a R version of the S5 or is the S5 the sportier version?

But I agree the Audi is nice, i think they are in different categories though. I know luxury is subjective but the Bentley looks look like is so supple and comfortable.

Anybody here owned both the GT and the Quattroporte?

19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    That was not a Speed you saw rather the new Supersport with even more power and more aggressive handling.
    A Speed you can buy for very low $200k (brand new 2010 model) and the Supersport can be ordered with the back seat.

20. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    The Phaeton is (was) built right along side the Bently. It is mostly Bently underneath NOT Audi.

21. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Yep I realized when I did a research it was the supersport.

Thanks

22. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack

What I meant by that was if I was to go down to a Phaeton, Id rather get the Audi 8 since they are very similar. I was driven around in my cousins Phaeton while in Korea and it was not luxurious at all to me. My neighbors 8 was much nicer I felt.

23. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    The Phaeton is a WAY better car than the A8. It's built better and much more luxurious than an A8. The amount of features and comforts on the Phaeton seriously out weigh the A8. Don't get me wrong the A8 is a great car, the Phaeton is a world class car.

24. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Value your opinion. It's been awhile since i went into my car buying season with more than 2 options. Last year was easy, it was Ferrari all the way. One thing is for certain I want, wait.... I need a sedan. We have a s class, but refuse to drive, a van for the mrs, fcar and a suv. Thought I could do without a sedan for awhile after I sold the m5 but I guess I was wrong.

What do you think of the aesthetics of the Quattroporte?

25. Kieran

Kieran F1 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    There is an RS5, but it won't be arriving here until the end of the year.