Arnage vs. Flying Spur | FerrariChat

Arnage vs. Flying Spur

Discussion in 'British' started by indaville, Nov 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    OK, I am looking at my first Bentley and I would buy used if I get one. It seems like you can get a used Flying Spur and a used Arnage for the same money. Which would be a better buy, both from a luxury and reliabilty standpoint. I know the Arnage had a higher MSRP, why are they both about the same price on the used car market???

Matt

2. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Despite both being high-dollar luxury sedans, the Arnage and Flying Spur appealed to a totally different group of buyers, the Arnage's a lot smaller than the Spur's. Bentley used to say that the average Flying Spur owner had a net worth of $3m, while the average Arnage owner was worth $30m. People worth $30m don't look at used cars.

That was part of the problem. The other part is that the Flying Spur is the vastly better car in every measurable area. So you have Arnage people buying the Arnage and not even considering the Spur, and everyone else - including the used Arnage's potential clientele - simply making the smarter choice and buying the Spur.

It also doesn't help that the Arnage has been around in its current iteration since the late 1990s. When you can pick up a used one for $30k or a virtually indistinguishable new one for $250k, the new one's not going to stay well-valued for long.

3. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    By the way, if that answer didn't make it clear, the better buy - without even a question or hesitation - is the Flying Spur. I've had literally tons of driving time in both vehicles, and the Spur is cheaper, faster, roomier, and more exciting; it handles better, comes with more stuff, and it'll actually hold its value. I can't speak for reliability, but neither is cheap to maintain. If that's your thing, early Lexus LS460s are really dropping in value..

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think the only things the Arnage have going for it is a) its looks/image, and b) in 20 years people will still want to buy an Arnage but people will have long since given up on the overpriced Phaeton.

yes, the CFS is a better car in every way; but the Arnage is more quintessentially "Bentley".

5. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks! Your first post made alot of sense.

Matt

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Drive both and you will make your own decision.
    Newer Arnage is as reliable as the FS so no worries there.
    They drive in a very peculiar way,either you love'm or hate'm,you have to try yourself.
    FS drives like any other big car in that class....

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    There is a lot of truth to this, you either pick one or the other. Not 100% sure that the wealth part is the main driver. I like the big Bentleys, my wife likes the smaller ones.

And most important, it is better to find a Bentley mechanic first, before you decide which one you want to own...

8. somedayaurora

somedayaurora Karting

Feb 16, 2010
    what about the T variant of the arnage , how does that stack up ? Its the 2002 + with newer engine and tweeks ? thoughts ?
    SDR

9. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    While I've never driven the RR, I spent some time in the Arnage T. Quite a car. Can remember scaring the panties off Bentley's PR girl (I wish) doing 100mph on the FDR during a marketing event test drive. Friend of mine was the Bentley marketing "consultant", and he made sure I got a chance to see all the neat stuff. Did a track day with the Arnage T, also. Capable, but heavy. However, I still don't have one in my garage.

CW

10. somedayaurora

somedayaurora Karting

Feb 16, 2010
    #10 somedayaurora, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Ah, my mistake. Not an RR. The newer Bent. I didn't put one of those in the garage, either.

CW

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    As an aside, my ex GF has a FS. She loves it.

CW

13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #13 judge4re, Nov 28, 2010
  14. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Small cars, they ain't, though!

CW

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Just out of curiosity, Indaville, who'd handle your service? Dealer nearby you? That could be a consideration.

CW

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #16 judge4re, Nov 28, 2010
  17. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Always liked the Turbo R/Brooklands body style. At first, more than the Arnage body. But, that grew on me. Even the newest body is growing on me.

Amazing how different the car can appear, though (Black with Borbet wheels and lowered and the car your wife is in). Just completely different looking.

CW

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Still like Turbo R body style, the Arnage is good looking, but I still like the brick **** house look of the earlier car. Not a fan of after market wheels in general, but I agree that they can really change the look of the car. But its still a rebadged Audi...

19. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #19 JAM1, Nov 28, 2010
    First is a response to the earlier comment "People worth $30m don't look at used cars". I don't believe wealth is related to buying new/used cars, and I know a handful of guys that are "worth" $50M+ and they all seem to buy used cars. As I think about it now, it seems like the wealthiest people I know tend to hang onto their money the most, including saving by purchasing used cars.

I had a 2004 Arnage "T" for a year or so, and it was a great car. They have torque for days and pull like a freight train. It was a second car at a second home, so I can't speak to the reliability as I didn't put many miles on it, but from the few thousand miles I did drive it, it never had an issue. The one thing that stands out to me is hearing people that have owned Arnages cautioning that while you are buying it used, it's still a $250k car with parts prices commensurate with the original purchase price.

I've got a 2007 FS now, and it's a great daily car. The only issue I have had with it in the 10k miles I've put on it since buying it used, was a window regulator and the bluetooth has never worked right. Neither are major problems, the window was $800 to fix and the bluetooth isn't a priority enough for me to sort it out. I like the AWD, and the car is a pleasure to drive on the highway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. somedayaurora

somedayaurora Karting

Feb 16, 2010
    so which do you prefer ? pros/cons ? Nice to hear from someone with both . I know quite a few Brokers , they might drink a $700 bottle in 3k lofers but they wash out there zipplock bags , Im not kidding , very true story . So I agree with -money- buying used .
    SdR

21. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    It moves a lot faster than you'd expect it to for a car that heavy - although the same could be said for the Flying Spur. The problem is that the Flying Spur has the handling to go with it, while with the Arnage you really, truly feel the weight.

Crazy thing about the Arnages is the redline is like 4000rpm (or maybe less) - your first glance at the tach and you'll think you're in a diesel pickup truck!!

22. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    The new RRs are humongous!

23. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

I would have a local independent work on it. It wouldn't be a DD so I would not put that many miles on it.

Matt

24. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #24 Arvin Grajau, Nov 30, 2010
  25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Absolutely stunning!
    The real deal!
    As far as Arnage,I would avoid any model built before 2007.
    From '07 and up they are basically the same,with better transmission (6 speed), improved handling and 500hp instead of 450hp (Arnage T).