vanquish owners? | FerrariChat

vanquish owners?

Discussion in 'British' started by ross, Jan 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    what can you tell us about owning and living with that car??

2. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    100,000 members, and 80 views, and no vanquish owners past or present?? unbelievable....

3. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    #3 CornersWell, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Never owned one, so my comments are qualified. I've driven them, though. Nicely appointed, but NOT svelte or lithe like a Ferrari. Seats seemed slightly overstuffed to me. Wonderful sounds. Decent handling. Killer looks. Service facilities and parts costs are gating factors here in the US.

In sum, liked it. Didn't love it. Still have Ferraris.

If you're serious, check out the Aston Martin Owners Club site. Generally, the last year (the '06 Vanq S) are considered the best. Due largely to the fact that they've had the benefit of the most "development", but also to the fact that was the latest and greatest dash re-design. IIRC, the Vanq didn't change much (at all) under the skins throughout the run. If you buy, make sure the car's original factory has been kept up (can be purchased in perpetuity, renewing every other year, IIRC), as once the warranty lapses you can only get a limited warranty. Otherwise, the original will cover bumper to bumper as if it were a new car. It's not inexpensive, but anything with the AM label on it won't be. Tires? IIRC, they're dealer only at $500+ a pop. And, the achilles heel of the Vanq (the paddle-operated manual tranny) must be driven like a manual (go into neutral at each stop), otherwise you'll burn out the clutch prematurely, which Vanqs got a bad rap for. Was driver error (lazy paddle work) that caused the burnt clutches.

Can even get a retro-fit to a true manual tranny (gated stick shift) now.

CW

4. BlackCobra

BlackCobra Karting

Jun 21, 2007
    Camas, WA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just bought an '03 Vanquish with 6k miles on it. Taking delivery on Sunday. Have not driven one, or even sat in one.

I will post up some pics shorly.

5. BlackCobra

BlackCobra Karting

Jun 21, 2007
    Camas, WA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    12 hours, 40 minutes. I can't stand the wait.

6. BlackCobra

BlackCobra Karting

Jun 21, 2007
    Camas, WA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #6 BlackCobra, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Took delivery yesterday afternoon. It was getting late in the day, so I didn't drive much. First impressions are mostly positive:

- Incredible looks
    - Beautiful exhuast sound
    - Good acceleration [equitable to my 355 - more torque, though]
    - Nice interior

Couple nits:

- Leg room could be better [no back seat]
    - Seats need to be lower - or have bubble in roof over driver
    - Multiple step process [cumbersome] to get into reverse

Tall drivers may find it cramped. I'm 6'4'' - I would say that's about the max.

Drove it to work today. I'll post more pics and comments after I get more seat time with it.

[​IMG]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Ahh Congrats on your purchase. I think these will become definite classics, heck I think its a classic already.

And its great if you can find a shop to do the "Works" option and add the true 3rd pedal and stick shift.

8. BlackCobra

BlackCobra Karting

Jun 21, 2007
    Camas, WA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks - I think it will be a classic, as well.

There is a converted Vanquish for sale on eBay; I'd like to drive one to compare.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok, you've had the vanquish for a few months now.....so, tell us more please !

10. AugustWest

AugustWest Karting

Mar 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    #10 AugustWest, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    Well, I can't tell you about owning one, but I have much experience with them.

Nothing sounds like a Vanquish or Vanquish S. Nothing. They're spine-tinglingly amazing in that regard. You downshift to 3rd at 80 just to hear it do it (and to frighten the normal cars around you). They always make you feel like you're on a mission. The way they bark to life on a cold start is so cool - you're neighbors will hate you (and you'll love it). They only do the bark once/day, once they're warm they don't do it.

One of the best things I've ever done is drive a Vanquish from Aspen to Denver over Independence Pass in Colorado. At 2:00pm on a late spring weekday - so I had it all to myself. Magic.

That drive illuminated the one flaw. They don't have height/tilt adjustment on the seat bottom, and by the time I got to Dillon, I thought the seat was going to eat my ass. "Bear trap" comes to mind. By the time I got to Silverthorne, I was wishing I could be picked up in a helicopter. By Golden, I'd have traded for a Corolla. Easily fixed by getting the appropriate Recaro seat bottom (with the appropriate controls) and having a shop rebuild the seat with them. Aston didn't provide this option because they thought the headroom was too close to warrant it - it was (in my opinion) quite an oversight.

You have to drive them hard, most of the time, or you risk getting the dreaded p300 code ("random misfire"). This MAY clear after enough driving cycles, but may not. If you get the code, you may as well see if it'll clear, or drive it until the car starts running oddly before fixing it (which is usually several thousand miles between the warning light and actually noticing something's up). The fix is a new set of plugs and coils, and since the entire intake has to come off in order to do it, it's about a $3k job at an Aston dealership. Might want to just get used to the warning light. An upside? During daylight the warning light is nearly invisible. At night it's there. If someone asks about it, blip the throttle, snapping their neck uncomfortably and say, "there, I checked the engine. It's still there."

Also - being an early F-1 transmission - you need to drive sympathetically, especially if you're in traffic (feel for clutch engagement and either go faster to get lockup, or stop to get full neutral. If you're in stop/go on a big hill (say, Laurel Canyon in Los Angeles), you can easily go through the entire clutch by the time you get to the top. Clutch swaps are about $10K. But just don't do that - it's not why you bought it anyway, is it? Regardless, at any stop longer than 5 seconds, pull neutral to keep the clutch cool.

But you'd forgive it anything. NOTHING looks - nothing acts - like that. Sure, there's better on a track (Aston actually don't recommend them for the track). There's faster. But they are a combination that is REALLY tough to beat. Somehow you always feel like you're on a mission. Driving through a driving rain at dusk one evening, I thought I was on my way to play poker for the future of the free world. Unfortunately, I was only trying to get home to feed my cat.

And they perfectly live up to David Brown's assertion that all Astons "ought to be capable of removing panties at 50 paces." The Vanquish surely can.

Transmission was always the weak link. However, if you go to AMOC.org forum and look for ASMExpert, he's an Aston technician who taught Aston techs around the world how to properly tune their F-1 boxes, and once done it's a night/day improvement. ...though I would LOVE to drive one of the cars which had been converted to a true knee-slappin' 6-speed stick/pedal. One thing - the way the stick is positioned regarding the dash may be a bit close (I've heard this reported from the lucky few who've driven them).

Best year? ...2005 Vanquish S. 520hp with the Sports Dynamic Pack suspension and brake upgrade (plus body revisions which make it look even nastier). It still has the old Jag-based Visteon audio system playing through 1,350 watts of Linn sound. Looks more expensive (and sounds much better). In 2006 they went to the very Ford-y LCD screen nav system flanked by some very dodgy buttons (in my opinion). Who cares about Nav in a Vanquish? ...getting lost in it will have its own rewards.

They are also the last truly hand-hewn Astons, made at Newport Pagnell (a facility which closed in 2007 with the production of the last Vanquish). The last Astons to have leather-aproned men beat their panels into shape with hammers (albiet only the edges, not the actual curves themselves).

They may be the last truly special Astons (with the exception of the One-77 - which is genuinely spectacular). The only other Aston I can think of with similar character is the V600 LeMans (but they are spectacularly unreliable, as well)...

psych0hans and RossoCorsaItaly like this.
  11. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    This is quite interesting.
    Many colorful anecdotal accounts from an admitted "non-owner".

Your depth of knowledge seems to be real, though.

Are you, or were you a dealer, technician, etc.?

I am interested because I would like to get additional "real-world" accounts of what to look for in one of these. Also would like to get what the true market is on these cars. I have seen prices all over the place and have heard from owners of other models that they literally took a bludgeoning on their trades.

The Vanquish is one of my favorites, but I really like how much cleaner the new DB9/DBS is styled.
    The interior on the Vanquish shows its age, as well.

How would you know if this Aston guru had set up your local dealer with the proper transmission settings?
    Are there any independents out there?

Guess I'll just have to go over to AMOC to see...

Do continue to post your observances and their proper context, as I am eager to read more.

Thanks

12. AugustWest

AugustWest Karting

Mar 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yeah - not an owner (when asked "is this YOUR car!?" my stock reply was "no, but it's my responsibility.")

I was a Sales Director with Aston for 8 years. ...and I was with them from the first Vanquish to the end. Lots of customer information/experience to relate (via perhaps 100 customers/cars). At some level - I think I've seen it all, but (given that it's an Aston) I'm sure there are still a few unknown tricks up a Vanquish's sleeve...

I've been a car guy my whole life (built several in my early days), so I hung around with our techs a lot, and was interested in the foibles and fixes of every car I sold - I take pride in knowing the details about them. I'd *like* to think I'm not your average sales guy in that regard - that I actually know the technical details I'm talking about, and how they relate to real-world experiences. It made it so I could handle a great many client issues on the phone, immediately upon their call. I like being "that guy."

I even got good at driving Vanqs in "Auto" mode (I know - I'm a philistine, right? ...I only did it so I could help my clients wrap their heads around it)...

If it takes long enough to shift that it makes burbles like it's on overrun - the gearbox isn't properly set up.

They are very much like many older-school exotics - the story, mileage, condition and service history are VERY important to the value of the car (and explains the wide variation on values). AND - the way any particular example drives also affects the value. The ones which shift like a gunshot are sublime. The ones which shift slowly are frustrating (but fixable).

Again - you'd likely forgive anything though, that first time you get out of it and look back over your shoulder as you walk away, or first see it in the morning sitting in your garage.

Raquel Welch was notably tempestuous. She was also Raquel Welch! This applies to many of the cars we love, I think. At least the older ones. The worry I have is that as cars are made "better" they lose some of their "special." A current 911tt is miles better than a 930t... ...but is it more desirable? I don't think so - I'm looking to buy personality, not a supercar which is also an appliance (and there's something hugely attractive about the 930's ability to literally kill disrespectful drivers, you know? - how can the fact that a grandma can drive a current one at 9.5/10ths be a good thing!?). The 458 laps the 'ring in roughly the same time as a 430 Scud, but is a lot more forgiving when you're tootling around town, stuck in traffic on the phone. Somehow that makes it less desirable than the bellowing moster of the 430Scud. The visceral appeal of the Scud makes it infinitely more lustworthy to me than the Jekly/Hyde nature of the [arguably brilliant] 458...

The DB9/Vantages are much more modern, much cleaner in their design than the Vanquish (you could argue that they're perfect). And the interior is more modern (esp. after 2009). And you could use them as daily drivers if you wanted to (careful of the nose!). For me, that takes away some of their "special." On the other hand - if you want to use it as your daily driver - for everything - it's hard to beat a DB9 or Vantage in that regard... It's just not going to reach down the front of your pants and give you a shake the way a Vanquish will... A DB9 is Audrey Hepburn; a Vanquish is Sophia Loren. Audrey gets to meet the parents. Sophia gets shown off to your friends.

I hope that makes sense - kind got off-topic. I type fast. It happens.

ArmenVanquishS likes this.
  13. Osiris_x11

Osiris_x11 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    My perfect (to me) Aston from Callum / Fisker era would be...

exterior: Vanquish/Vanquish-S (bold, muscular presence - looks to be chiseled from a hillside of granite/marble!)

interior: DB9/DB-S (sophisticated, refined ergonomics & appointments - wears like a fine time-piece!)

powertrain: Vantage (the updated 4.7L motor would be more efficient/practical & serviceable/maintainable than the V12s, perhaps even if supercharged!)

14. AugustWest

AugustWest Karting

Mar 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Ali Afshar at EasyStreet Motorsports has supercharged several Vantages to 700hp (Youtube "Supervantage" and you'll eventually find a video where he kills an X50 911tt on the freeway)...

15. raptorduck

raptorduck Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Mr. Raptorduck
    I drove a Vanquish S for a day at Aston's Millbrook proving ground along with a DB9 and Vantage. The Vanquish was a beast, less civilized, more raw, and more of a handful to drive than the other two. Beautiful though, but I did not like the interior. Of the 3, I liked the Vantage the best.

16. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great post - loads of insight too! Thanks very much.

One question (since I can't see an actual Vanquish easily) - do the back seats have any functional value (for kids)?

17. AugustWest

AugustWest Karting

Mar 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    So - the seats are usable, but if the kids are hitting 5' tall, they may not be able to sit upright due to the rear window. Legroom is really tight, but the actual limiting factor is the rear glass...

Funny thing about those seats. It became evident that there was an enormous difference in the saleability of 2+2 vs 2+0 cars. 2+0s would sit forever. It's because if someone had to have the back seat, they weren't going to buy a 2+0. But someone who thought they wanted a 2+0 would buy the right 2+2. And - some clients had to have the backseat just so the spouse wouldn't give them s**t about having "another car that the family can't use." Happened more than once, even though the kids couldn't actually sit back there; the psychology of homelife (i.e., they'd like to continue having sex with the spouse) had a huge impact on sales.

If you want good info on Vanquish, you can find a lot here:

http://www.astonmartins.com/vanquish/index.html

18. AugustWest

AugustWest Karting

Mar 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    #18 AugustWest, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Thanks for the posts and links.

I assumed that you must have been involved on some level due to your clearly insider knowledge.

I am still torn between the raw Vanquish S, or the sublime DB9.

I would like a more useable exotic, one that I can take the family for an exhilarating ride in, and one that still stirs the soul.

Which car is the best fit for that purpose?

I live out in the country, so I have ample opportunity to blast through the gears enjoying the music, while I have enough city driving that I can see clutch wear as a factor.

My current "toy" is a 1998 355 F1, so I'm no stranger to the " 'box ", but how does the Vanquish unit compare to the first generation Ferrari F-1 system?

My other option would be a Maserati GranSport or GranTurismo, both of which can be had for less than a retail-priced Vanquish S or 2007+ DB9.

Is the Vanquish a better buy in todays market?
    What are the real-world prices of these cars?

Thanks again.

20. AugustWest

AugustWest Karting

Mar 1, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Truth is, a Maser Gran Turismo is a very cool car, which can easily seat four adults (the convertible will as well). Tremendous value, Ferrari V8, Italian flair/leather/curves...

Unless you have a Rapide (or very small kids), no Aston is going to work for a day in the country (with four people).

Rapides are perhaps my favorite Aston at the mnoment (dons flameproof suit). Reflexes of a DB9 (seriously - you have to be reminded you're not in a DB9), killer B&O audio system, great materials/finish, exclusively rare. After doing hotlaps in one at Willow Springs with four full-sized adults on board I'm totally convinced. However, they're significantly more expensive than a Maser Gran Turismo.

As I've said previously, Vanquish values are all over the place. A good 2005/6 S can still go for $150K (or more). A bad 2002 can go for a little as $50K. Be careful what you save on, though! Color can make a $20K difference on otherwise similar cars (Tungsten/Black $20K more than, say, BRG/Tan). Too bad - Tungsten/Black is probably 50% of production, with Black/Black being another 25%, and generically-silver/Black another 15%. Only about 1/10 of Vanquish are in colors. If you're wondering, my favorite would be Antrim Blue with Red leather.

The Vanquish F1 'box is a bit better than the 355F1 (in my opinion). I'd have a 6-speed in a 355, if it were me. ...but then I'd have a stick/pedal in pretty much everything short of a... ...oh wait - I'd have a stick/pedal in anything (a bit of a disappointment in new Ferraris and McLarens - though I do understand the market demands what the market demands). I guess they're not an option in a boat or plane, but still - I'd at least check.

Raw VanqS vs. Sublime DB9? Depends on how often you'll use it. All things being equal, I'd get the Vanquish, as it was produced in lower numbers, and most of them have plateau'd as far as depreciation goes. Just a lot more special car. If you're going to drive it 20K miles/year, the DB9 will likely be a better choice.

21. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Great to hear your thoughts August, thanks for posting. The Vanquish will always be my favourite of the modern Astons and I would love to get one but even with prices were they are now I find the idea of running one gives me the jitters. A British car, nearly 10 years old, an early F1 gearbox, lots of electronics and a V12 engine...

22. anthem

anthem Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    Williamsburg
    Full Name:
    Ed
    AugustWest - great posts and insights. Loved reading them.

I'll give my insight. I recently acquired an '06 Vanq S for daily driver use. I've always wanted one and couldn't justify getting one for daily driver use in the past. Now that they are in the low 100's, what the hell - you only live once and the vanquish is a great one. I went from an 07 MB S65 because it didn't give me the thrill that the Vanquish does. The MB S65, 911, m5, etc,etc are just too refined which makes them good for daily drivers to car aficionados. But if you want that thrill every morning/day - then the Aston's are better and the Vanquish the best of those. They have come down in price to the point that I felt I could justify it. Big deal the service is twice (or more than a comparable AMG). Even then I think its still half a Ferrari.

But the main reason I got it is exactly as AugustWest posted above in his two posts. Down to the fact that I was REQUIRED to have a seat for my 6 year old son (which I am glad to do as he loves the car). I am not allowed to buy any car that can't hold the three of us.

Now in response to the +2, no its not a true 4 seater. I call it a 3 seater. It can fit 3 people as long as your wife isn't amazonian. Mine is 5'7 and my kid can sit there comfortably (and loves it). If you yourself are vertically challenged, then you might be able to get a fourth behind you. Forget the back for adults unless someone up front is vertically challenged.

And yes, funny story about the P0300. I got the code after driving the car 100 miles. Called the dealer up after hooking my OBDII code reader up and getting it. The service tech basically said this "Spark plugs are spec'ed to handle high rpms. It wants the snot driven out of it. Don't baby the car and drive it spiritly. If you aren't going to drive it spiritedly, take another car.". That being said, if you do get the occasional P0300 cylinder misfire code, just clear the code with a $100 OBDII reader.

The F1 box on the vanquish is good, but not quite as good as the box on say a F612. Don't live in a hilly area so not worried about burning the clutch out that way. Do get occasional traffic so am a bit careful there.

It gets a lot more respect from people on the road because seeing an AM is generally rarer than seeing Ferrari's these days.

And after all that - the sound as they say is absolutely visceral. If you get one, have the dealer remove the bypass valve. You don't need the "switch" and its perfectly respectable even without the bypass around 2-3k rpm. Open it up and its like the parting of the seas. . .

23. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    +1

Just can't see where this can get any better.
    A classic, for sure, but one that is going to require an awful lot of TLC.

24. anthem

anthem Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    Williamsburg
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #24 anthem, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
    No doubt it will be higher than a modern in-warranty sports car, but no more/less than any other exotic. . . . Several AM service techs have basically said - the Vanquish is no more/less than any other out of warranty db9 in terms of operational cost. The DB9 is more modern, not hand made and has more advanced technology (in some areas), but ironically more items that could possibly require service. Yes there are electronics in the Vanquish, but overall - its quite remarkably a simple car. Not many things can go wrong, just the things that do could be costly (but again, no more/less than say a db9).

Lets change that British, 10 years old, F1, and electronics to this - Italian, 10 years old, F1 and even more electronics. You're essentially in F360 land. Do you feel any better ? I'd go with the British over the Italian (and I own both) in terms of operating as a DD. Change that to German, 10 years old,
    tiptronic and even more electronics(probably a 911TT). Yeah, the german would win - but you woudn't have any of the thrill that either the Aston or Ferrari would be able to give you every day. . . .

25. anthem

anthem Karting

Jan 12, 2009
    Williamsburg
    Full Name:
    Ed

My thoughts on the Maser GT S. Great car. Absolutely love it. LOVE the steering wheel. Why can't more manufacturers put in that monster steering wheel .. love the feel, the size, etc. More room than the 2+2 AM. Similar to a 612. Depreciates fast as hell. As compared to the AM Vanquish - new one is similar cost to used Vanquish, used one is half.

The Rapide - didn't like it. But its mainly because I don't really like the DB9 and the Rapide is essentially the DB9 with four doors. Same as the Quattroporte though the difference in looks between the GT vs Quattroporte is much greater than the DB9 to Rapide.

At the end of the day - I figured the operational cost of the Maser would be similar to the AM. That being the case, the vanquish is the car I would most want to drive every day.

Since I have other options, and 99% of the time my DD is myself and only myself, I can get away witha 2door GT. Have figured out that I'd sacrifice the space and 2 extra doors as I just don't need/want it 99% of the time. The last 1% can be satisfied with our family range rover. The only problem I now have is that I dont have a car that gets over 16mpg. . . Might have to get a bmw 335d diesel just to offset that on some longer trips. . .