Good, but it's no Ferrari | FerrariChat

Good, but it's no Ferrari

Discussion in 'British' started by lightning, Jul 22, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    My Lotus Elise S2 that is.

I had to sell the Mondial t as I basically ran out of money, so I bought a Lotus Elise S2 with what was left after paying off some debts.

The Elise is a superb car, it's fast and the handling is amazing.

Nothing can replace a Ferrari though....any Ferrari. There's something about them, I think it's a depth of talent/character and engineering.

Every drive in a Ferrari is more than just a journey, it's an event.

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I, of course, agree with everything you have said, but there are worse places to land after jumping off the Ferrari train than a Lotus!

I have driven the Elise and in my personal opinion, there are few if any more uncompromising, pure of purpose, sports cars on the planet.

It is a thrill a minute and sexy to boot.

Unfortunately for me, I look like an absolute clown getting out of them on my hands and knees!

Congrats on the purchase, you have the rest of your life to get back into a Ferrari if you so desire, but enjoy your spectacular ride to the fullest and without regret.

Now please provide pictures... :)

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    You really sold a Mondial T for enough money to pay bills AND buy a Lotus Elise?

4. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I'm sure he did. My buddy picked up an Elise in mint condition with 30K miles for under $25K. Joe is right: that car is an absolute BLAST to drive!

5. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.
    #5 Terculees, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've owned 2 elise S2's, one was totalled by an SUV (2005) and one I sold last year (2006)
    Fantastic car, and I don't mind getting in and out.

I may yet pick up a supercharged exige on my way to a 360 spider. We shall see.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    #6 lightning, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I sold the Mondial t for £18,000 and the Lotus cost quite a bit less than that.

It's like new, the previous owner never took it out in the rain and only did about 1,000 miles per year. Being a 2005 model It even has aircon and electric windows.

Surprised this has been moved away from "general Ferrari chat" to "other cars, British"

With regard to pictures, my subscription had lapsed but I've just renewed it so here are a couple.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not a Ferrari, but probably rates higher in the fun-to-drive category than a Mondial. And the engineering of the Elise chassis is incredible compared to the old steel tube frame of the Mondial.

I'd love to get an Elise/Exige, if I had the garage space.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    never owned a Ferrari, but of the ~20 cars I've owned my Elise is by far the most fun to drive.

take it on a track day, you'll be a changed man :)

congrats on the purchase.

9. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I bought a 2005 Graphite Grey Elise from Mid Rivers Lotus in STL (now defunct) in the fall of 2005. My original order of midnight blue with red interior had been put on hold for some reason so I jumped at the first available. Great car but a bit hard to get in and out of. My drive home to KC on I-70 was a non-stop event of waving and telling people what kind of car it was. I reluctantly sold it when my 2006 Z06 came in.

Have fun with the car. Just be careful of other drivers.

10. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    I've been in a Mondial. It's a nice car, but not terribly fast. It's more of a cruiser, and there's nothing wrong with that. I haven't been in an Elise, but I do hear that it handles amazingly, and plus it is so light. That is probably a very good choice.

Chris

11. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Jon,
    I have the garage space now, why don't you go ahead and buy one and I will keep it in my garage for you...you know, take it out to ensure all systems are still functioning once a week or so...:)

12. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Absolutely fantastic cars. That's why I have two! ;)

I see their value going UP in the next few years as Lotus has discontinued them AND they're the last PURE sports cars.

13. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I'm still enjoying the Elise.

It's so useable, and great fun to drive. Plus all my female friends like it, which is nice.

I still miss the Ferrari though. I've been looking at the 308/328 (or another Mondial) as my next Ferrari purchase in a couple of years, but for now I'll continue with the Elise.

14. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    You don't need a "subscription" to post photos.

15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree with all of the glowing reports of this car. Of all the cars I have driven it is the most fun. At 6500 rpm it gets on cam and really jumps forward. Mine was the "Sport" model and the plaque said #8 of 50 made for racing. A great car.

I sold mine and bought a Lotus Evora Turbo. A great car but I should have kept the Sport also.

Lee

16. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Very nice car Martin. Enjoy it safely.....

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Totally agree!
    The Elise was what took me to the track and now I race in a 211.
    Colin Chapman had it right with his original philosophy with the Lotus.
    No other car is as visceral a driving experience...pure and raw!

18. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Check out an Elan sometime, if you can. The steering feel on that is divine. Only a properly set-up Caterham comes close.

19. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I sold the Elise.
    It was a great car, but it was no Ferrari. Sadly after you have owned a Ferrari, any Ferrari, nothing else really matches up.
    I am saving up and looking to buy a 348 eventually.

But for now l bought a BMW Z3 3.0 Sport, in blue with cream leather seats.
    It's in pristine condition, and cost me very little to buy.
    The Z3 is better than l thought. Of course it is no Ferrari, but the three litre six cylinder engine is lovely. And the interior is a nice place to be.

Plus l had UK £10,000 left over after selling the Lotus and buying the BMW, towards my future 348.

20. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    I sold my 355 and bought a Lotus Evora last year. Values were about the same. On balance I prefer the Evora and am putting way more miles on it than the Ferrari. Engine note isn't as good but pretty much everything else is better.

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Other than price, looks, performance, driving dynamics, reliability, and cost of upkeep, the Mondial is better than the Elise.

Pretty surprising that an Elise is worth so much less than 18K GBP. That is about $30K and the price of a nice Elise S2 in the US (some are cheaper, but they will have lots of miles or stories).

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Can't believe I sold my Final Edition Exige in Isotope Green :(
    Regret it every day

23. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    So what have you left the Mondial to be better at?? Maybe sound. Personally I don't buy the "character" argument so much, not at least on a Mondial..........

24. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Tounge firmly in cheek on my Mondial comparison. I know many like them, but I think the Mondial is hideous - sort of the Aztek of Ferraris that just has all the wrong proportions and no performance to speak of. One of my least favorite cars and one of the few I would accept only if given to me with a clear title for immediate sale. I simply cannot fathom preferring one in any way to a Lotus Elise or Exige.

25. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you for sharing your opinion. I've driven both, chose the Mondial. If you haven't driven it, there is no point explaining it to you. As for the looks, that is purely subjective, but I am sure you are aware that the Lotus Else is not widely hailed as a cosmetic tour de force. Personally I love the Mondial and it is among my favorite Ferraris. Classic, understated, elegant. It performs with an analog directness that doesn't exist anymore and the engine sound is heavenly. I love the Elise, but I chose the Mondial way back when, and I would have done it again.