Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > British

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: name
Dead cylinder: My Lotus for sale

After changing fluids , filters, plugs and wires i could not get rid of the ignition miss this 1990 Esprit SE has at idle. We took the engine lid off and sent it to our shop to do the timing belt service and diagnose the miss. #3 cylinder has a burned valve.

Car runs and drives, does NOT smoke, nor does it leak into the crankcase, so the bottom end seems solid. great oil pressure, runs cool, no check engine light.

I paid $10700 at an auction through a licensed GA car dealer buddy of mine, car has a clean clear Title. i have about $13k in the car and want it gone as is. I will put on the engine lid and reinstall all the panels we took off. I dont have the time or energy to mess with a project as i am going to buy something else and go back to school part time.

I will post an ad in Ferrari.ads, Ebay and both the Lotus message boards i am on.

**Make offer**

Michael zip code 31407
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-30 12.51.55.jpg (103.7 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-30 12.52.08.jpg (77.4 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-30 12.52.18.jpg (73.2 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-30 12.52.36.jpg (103.4 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-30 12.52.46.jpg (70.5 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-30 13.18.43.jpg (73.2 KB, 543 views)

Last edited by thecarreaper; 04-07-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

As an Esprit owner I think you are being very optimistic regarding price given the situation.

beev
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITYRARE View Post
As an Esprit owner I think you are being very optimistic regarding price given the situation.

beev
What part of *make offer* do you not understand?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITYRARE View Post

beev
Geez kind of uncalled for given the guy DID NOT NAME a price..no?

Michael- I'm sure you'll move this and be done with it- but you kinda could see this one coming... For all our *****in about Fcars- The Lotus thing requires an entirely new understanding of the word "patience".
Old 04-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Chas
do you still have those black (green?) X180R wheels? those chrome ones don't float my boat.

also, any other glaring faults on the car? electrical (duh, it's a Lotus), gearbox/clutch/flywheel, suspension/bushings/shocks, etc etc etc.

and, any idea on parts availability?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: AG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
do you still have those black (green?) X180R wheels? those chrome ones don't float my boat.

also, any other glaring faults on the car? electrical (duh, it's a Lotus), gearbox/clutch/flywheel, suspension/bushings/shocks, etc etc etc.

Uh oh, another car purchase?!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by agup48 View Post
Uh oh, another car purchase?!
I'm a sucker for a green Lotus

problem is I have nowhere to put it.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: AG
Quote:
I'm a sucker for a green Lotus

problem is I have nowhere to put it.
I have a parking spot!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by full_garage View Post
Geez kind of uncalled for given the guy DID NOT NAME a price..no?

Michael- I'm sure you'll move this and be done with it- but you kinda could see this one coming... For all our *****in about Fcars- The Lotus thing requires an entirely new understanding of the word "patience".
What is wrong with you you guys?

Make offer means just that. $2.00 , $8500, ??????

I dont know or care what the market value is of the car. i have the 308 and the 911 so i want this car gone. Ill put it on Ebay no reserve if no one here or on the Lotus boards wants it. SJsports cars UK has all the parts needed, piston rings (while you are in there, change them) bearings, all engine gaskets, send the head off to a machine shop for valves and you are done. we estimate about $3000 parts and labor ( my price as i am affiliated with the shop).

i just dont want the damn broken car.

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=9
Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:

the car runs well, we think that cylinder is firing under load from the turbo, but at idle it has a miss.
The gearbox feels great, I have tags and insurance on the car and have driven it some, but I did not want to hurt anything with the weird idle. I changed the oil as soon as the car was delivered, as well as the coolant in the engine and the charge cooler.

I have a factory Lotus non airbag steering wheel for the car, the other set of 4 x180R wheels, some gaskets, a charge cooler pump rebuild kit, and the new drivers side door handle.

Drivers side window does not work, nor does the left headlight. i think the switch needs to be cleaned for the window, and the headlight motor plastic gear needs to be replaced with a kit for a Firebird and it will work. car has spare, jack and tool kit. Georgia title is clear in my name.

SJ Sports Cars (UK) and JAE in California have all the parts and gaskets.

Oil pressure is great, temps stay nice and cool, car does not smoke nor is the check engine light on. Brakes and suspension feel fine.

To properly fix it before something breaks will require a valve job.

While the head is off its no big deal to drop the oil pan and replace the rings and rod bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 040_n.jpg (49.1 KB, 416 views)
File Type: jpg lotus delivered 004.jpg (47.2 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg lotus delivered 005.jpg (53.1 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg lotus delivered 006.jpg (47.4 KB, 417 views)

Last edited by thecarreaper; 04-08-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: David
Michael ---

If you have any interest in selling that OEM steering wheel (non airbag) separately, please send me a PM It looks like the wheel you have mounted on the car now is one of the later (airbag) OEM ones for the V8 Esprit --- is that correct ???

If so, I assume the non airbag wheel will also fit on the V8 cars ??? (I have an '03 V8 and am wondering whether it will fit my car).

Last edited by finnerty; 04-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarreaper View Post
What part of *make offer* do you not understand?
[QUOTE=full_garage;141351200]Geez kind of uncalled for given the guy DID NOT NAME a price..no?QUOTE]

I'm sorry...I read the post too hastily and misinterpretted " i have about $13k in the car and want it gone as is" as you might be hoping to get $13 out of it... and my post does sound bluntly negative...my apology.

Unfortunately the low resale value of Lotus cars makes replacing/rebuilding an engine financially unwise...its too bad as they are excellent cars in so many ways, but always will have the fragile stigma which decreases the size of the resale market.

beev
Old 04-08-2012, 12:57 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnerty View Post
Michael ---

If you have any interest in selling that OEM steering wheel (non airbag) separately, please send me a PM It looks like the wheel you have mounted on the car now is one of the later (airbag) OEM ones for the V8 Esprit --- is that correct ???

If so, I assume the non airbag wheel will also fit on the V8 cars ??? (I have an '03 V8 and am wondering whether it will fit my car).
I have an adapter to use the non airbag wheel on an airbag car. we think the steering column is a Range Rover, as they changed the steering column completely in 1990 with the arrival of airbags. I dont know what wheel will fit the V8 cars, and to be honest i am going to keep everything as a package. its a very nice car, love the color, i just dont want any projects cars.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:03 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

[quote=MITYRARE;141352288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by full_garage View Post
Geez kind of uncalled for given the guy DID NOT NAME a price..no?QUOTE]

I'm sorry...I read the post too hastily and misinterpretted " i have about $13k in the car and want it gone as is" as you might be hoping to get $13 out of it... and my post does sound bluntly negative...my apology.

Unfortunately the low resale value of Lotus cars makes replacing/rebuilding an engine financially unwise...its too bad as they are excellent cars in so many ways, but always will have the fragile stigma which decreases the size of the resale market.

beev
no apology needed, i have been wound tight about some other stuff. The dead Lotus is an inconvenience i dont have the time nor patience to deal with. I have had a ton of emails and several phone calls today already on the car.

We shall see I guess. My buddy says we can fix it for around $3k my cost, but the down time and expense is not worth it.

I like having several fun cars to drive. I hate my daily driver truck.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Car is $8500.00 firm.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

dammit, just bought another proejct car a few weeks ago, no time, money or space for this one....otherwise I'd be on it like stink on Ashwin.

GLWS....I'm jealous
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

for what its worth...

I know it sounds too simple to help; but you should try using Seafoam. I had a burned valve in a 62 super 90 and we seafomed it like 3 times and that valve came loose and worked fine! We ended up rebuilding the engine because it had a bearing that was failing but it did seem to fix the problem.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatspeedlimit? View Post
I know it sounds too simple to help; but you should try using Seafoam. I had a burned valve in a 62 super 90 and we seafomed it like 3 times and that valve came loose and worked fine! We ended up rebuilding the engine because it had a bearing that was failing but it did seem to fix the problem.
Thank you. But it failed compression and leakdown, so we feel its best to assume it needs rings and a valve job.

I dont want the car anymore.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Car is staying with the shop that did the inspection.

Car is off the market awhile.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Remember what does "L-O-T-U-S" stand for. I love British cars, but they can give us grief. Good luck on whatever you decide to do with her.