MP4 prices are really plummeting on resale | FerrariChat

MP4 prices are really plummeting on resale

Discussion in 'British' started by finnerty, Mar 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Looks like a wicked initial depreciation for the Mac --- hope it levels out soon.

That said, does anyone know of one that has traded for below $200K yet ?!

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2 TheMayor, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    That Silver one for less than 200k will be a bargain

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I am now considering one. Price matters to me and a 12c at 200 is interesting given my refusal to pay over 250 for either.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. You'll pay much more than that for a 2012 California and there's little comparison aside from the fact that the Cali is topless.

200K with 2500 miles? A steal. I personally like this car is silver also.

6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO the coupes are taking a big hit because everyone is flocking to the spiders

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

No, I don't think so. The depreciation started a long time ago. And, it's been in Europe also where spiders are not nearly as popular.

It's over production of some kind -- too many unsold cars in too many dealers. Or, too many speculators bought them thinking there were the next $1M Mac F1 and dumped them when they saw the opposite.

Sometimes you get a feeding frenzy and people want to jump before it gets worse, which just fuels the beast. Whatever the cause, it's an issue Mac has to deal with if they want to sell more expensive cars. Not too many people will accept 60K in depreciation in the first year and come back for more.

But, on the flip side, it's a hell of a lot of car for 150 to 200K under 10K miles. We're talking F430 coupe prices with 458 like performance.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    I agree, this car will become like all the rest as production numbers continue.

Perception is reality, anyone with 150-200k and buying their first super car / exotic want a Ferrari, if they can't work that deal they go lambo....the Mac hasn't earned that yet.

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    That actually is a good point.

I personally think though that the Lambo is loved because of it's extreme shape as well as performance. The Mac is probably too subtle to attract many potential Lambo owners.

The people it will attract though are 911 owners looking for super car performance at a reasonable price (after depreciation) and still a good Daily Driver (albeit the funky doors might hurt the DD thing).

But I also think a lot of Macs will go to people who have owned Ferrari and it's "been there, done that". Not everyone is anxious to jump into another Fcar after owning one or two. The Mac is a good replacement for "what else is there out there for me". Similar price, great performance, F1 pedigree.

10. Mikael_W

Mikael_W Karting

Jul 19, 2010
    in europe largest site mobile.de there are over 300 ferrari 458 for sale and around 80 mp4 .
    Cheapest mp4 is 170000euro, cheapest 458 is 140000euro.

You can have a 430 around 70000-80000 euro

The ferrari resale value is just much better in the US

Maclaren is a rare car here compared to ferrari,

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #11 TheMayor, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ferrari's are two years older than Macs (2009 vs 2011) which also factors in.]

I'm not sure where you're getting your data. If you look at Piston heads, the prices are very close if not a slight edge to Ferrari.

Used cars for sale with PistonHeads
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. azmurciev12

azmurciev12 Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    this will level out sooner or later. those picking up this car at $200K is getting a bargain. i paid $280K for mine brand new. although the depreciation is steep, i doesn't bother me too much as i tend to keep cars that i like for a LONG time. it's really a lot of car for pre-owned prices today.

i remember when i got my 03 murcie brand new. in 2-3 years, i would have lost 50-60% of its value had i sold the car. i still have it and don't plan to sell. and in 10 years, the market price is still at about 40-50% of the price i paid for it.... not bad at all. if same thing happens to the MP4, then i'd be happy.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Actually, I don't disagree with you.

But, its easy for you to say. You're not a typical new car owner who also got creamed in the first year of ownership of buying a 12C. I'm sure they are not so understandable to the situation.

14. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Hard to say exactly what happened. But, somehow they managed to saturate their own market quickly --- either with numbers of cars produced sold / unsold or simply with something "after the sale" that resulted in too many buyers not desiring to keep their cars for very long. They did not offer very good leasing options ---- which I think was ultimately a marketing mistake as far as a longer term strategy goes.....

Another interesting idea is that Mac has no real established "community" where owners can find resources and support --- we are purely at the Dealerships' (and they are few and far between) mercy and whim......and Mac's warranty program is not that strong or comprehensive, either :(.

Also, many of the cars currently for sale never left "Dealer registration" status (for various reasons ;)).

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Those are Great Britain Prices which tend to be higher than Euro.
    Mikael was talking about Euro prices which would be a combo of
    several different countries on the continent that have varying tax rates on their car

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I don't think so. You could take a 997TT with an exhaust and tune and be right with a Mc for alot less money.

I think this car doesn't have a market....What is it offering that Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche aren't? Overwhelming performance? Nope. Great styling? Definately not. Built in tiny numbers? No.

And it doesn't have much of a dealer network. I live in the country's 4th largest market....and there isn't a dealer.

17. Mikael_W

Mikael_W Karting

Jul 19, 2010
    exactly pistonheads is for the uk and prices in pound. Lot of cheap ferraris in italy.
    Check www.mobile.de

18. Frodo

Frodo Karting

Nov 20, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Wait til rates start ticking up...or Spain goes bancrupt like Cyprus....or France's deficit....or QE10...or...or...or...
    Prices will plummet once money becomes expensive.
    Cash will be king in the market for exclusive, modern cars.

19. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Personally, I think the 458 and 12C are extremely close in every way. Subjectively I think the 458 looks and sounds better, but not by a wide margin (I know many think the 12c is ugly, but that I do not get). Performance wise with the newest software I think the performance edge goes to the 12C on paper. The 12C is significantly lighter than the 458 I think, and that is important to me (e.g. I have and will keep my 2005 Elise as I think the days of 1900 lb cars are maybe over virtually forever).

Ergonomically, I like the shifter paddles to move with the wheel, just like my SR8, especially since I like a car that can be driven on track. I trained in open wheel and still drive that way on track, so I like to know I can select gears without moving my hands on the wheel.

So being able to buy a 2012 model 12C for 2010 458 prices puts me on the 12C side of the equation. In fact, Park Place here in Dallas has the last of the 2012 new car inventory at very favorable prices and I think I'll get one of those. That gives me 3 years of warranty, simple iron brakes that won't be as expensive a wear item, and no doubt worse depreciation but way less entry price than a 2012 458, with more warranty, so I bet I am no,worse off.

I am so glad both the 458 and 12C exist as I think each one pushes the other to the benefit of all enthusiasts.

20. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #20 finnerty, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    Keith ---

Your rationale was very similar to what I used in my decision ---- aside from the depreciation factor, which I did not count on / anticipate :(. Also, in the end, I just was really excited about the idea of a McLaren road car --- Ferrari will always be there.....but McLaren, who can say ? ;)

One thing I would caution you on is to read that warranty very carefully --- many things may not be covered. The initial warranties were lacking, but it would not surprise me if McLaren has revised and improved the current ones in response to the market and present circumstances for their cars. A 458 is not cheap to repair, but the MP4 is crazy expensive on most things --- plus, spare parts availability appears to be possibly sketchy, as many feel Mac very likely did not produce a large enough supply for inventory to support these cars when they start to hit the point where they will need repairs (fortunately, we are not there yet, as owners are reporting few problems requiring parts replacement :)).

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Thanks. I will inquire about warranty and parts esp. Consumables

22. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Anyone have any idea about this engines durability?

23. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I have never heard anything bad about the engine durability and the fact that McLaren is able to boost it for the P1 tells me the architecture is probably robust.

Park Place in Dallas informs me that the warranty is comprehenisve, and includes non-competitive track use. Heck, the owner's manual tells you to only use the "Track" mode and Launch control only on a Track, so it seems McLaren would be hard-pressed to deny warranty for occasional track use of the center console buttons it provides.

Having now driven the Fax Machine, I am very impressed and have to say the 458 must be heaven on earth to be significantly better. Once I get a bit more time in the car, perhaps I'll do a review from my uncivilized and undiscerning perspective.

24. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #24 TG, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    I fall into this category and I am looking. This $200k price range presents many options.

458: 2011 w/ 27k miles for $220k
    599: 2010 w/ 17k miles for $180k
    Cali: 2010 w/ 11k miles for $179k
    430S: 2008 w/ 28k miles for $146k

SLR: 2006 w/ 10k miles for $216k
    SLS roadster: 2012 w/ 600 miles for $177k
    SLS coupe: 2011 w/ 4k miles for $150k

Murcielago: 2003 w/ 23k miles for $135k
    Gallardo: 2005 w/ 7k miles for $107k

R8: 2009 4.2 w/ 1k miles for $108k.

I've left out the CS because this is going to be my daily driver. That said, miles don't matter. I plan to drive it through 100k miles over just a few years. I've driven half over time and my only conclusion is that I need to drive them all in the same week for decision sake. I'll say in terms of marque impression, I drive by a McLaren and Ferrari dealer everyday. The latter has me looking as much as possible whereas McLaren just doesn't have the spark. This is aura-speaking, driving one may be the antidote. While I really like the "new" direction of Lamborghini and have driven a Superlegerra, the undertone of coolness feels a bit too forced. My generation loves that though. The SLS? Classy. The R8 for that price is intriguing... What are your thoughts?

People on here like TheMayor talk about the 458 as being so well-rounded, I'd cringe at not buying one in such a similar price range.

25. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I cannot believe a 2010 599 is already at 180K. That's what I'd pick, for sure....