Aston Martin Vantage V8 vs. Bentley GT | FerrariChat

Aston Martin Vantage V8 vs. Bentley GT

Discussion in 'British' started by Bradwilliams, Oct 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Hi guys. I'm looking into getting one of these cars this winter. If I can't decide I will put it off to next spring. Toy number two to accompony the TR :) Wondering if anybody on here has owned both of these? The enthusiast in me is tapping me on the shoulder to get the Aston which is the obvious choice for more fun, exclusivity, and resale value, and is less pretentious. However, I do find the Bentley coupes very attractive and good value for money. Plus I've had a couple of VW phaetons that I adored. Which would you choose? The main reason the Bentley is on my radar is becuase it has quattro for me to play with in the winter (I live in the Midwest). I think they're about a tie in the looks department. Aston is a Tad prettier. Thoughts?

2. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I've been having this same dilemma for the past year. I like having the back seat of the Bentley but love the looks of the Aston.

3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

The phaeton and GT are both engineering masterpieces. However, I've driven both and the GT wasn't that exciting to drive. But it has Quattro and the winter is coming. AHHHHH!

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    If you're looking for another toy, get the Aston.

If you're looking for a proper car, get the Bentley.

5. sunburn

sunburn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Dawsonville, GA
    Full Name:
    Rick R.
    Brad,
    I've had both an '07 Vantage and an '05 Conti GT and they are very different cars. Besides the drop dead beautiful design of the Aston your much more connected to the driving experience with the Vantage. I would suggest the '09 or newer Aston as the extra HP and torque are a welcomed addition. The Bentley is fast and handles surprisingly well for a 5000lb sled but it made me feel older than I am (and that's hard to do). Service on the Aston was less than the GT and there are VERY few places where you can get good info for working on the GT if you like to tinker.
    I liked the GT but had a much stronger connection to the Aston which is why the Bentley is gone and there is now an '03 Vanquish in the garage.

6. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    From an outsider, have not driven either, but have sat in them, seen them in person, and read a lot about them, I say go with the Bentley. If you were comparing it to the V12V I would say Aston. But the Bentley looks better imo in the right color, has more presence, and can be a nicer interior. The 6speed forum is the place to read for both marques.

Get a Bentley in the right color combo Black, grey, or maybe red and the interior that Harry has in this one, avoid the fruity color combo's that many have.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uzOXKfOOM]evo Diaries- Bentley Continental V8 GTC video review - YouTube[/ame]

7. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #7 Hud, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Brad, i have owned both

Aston - drop dead gorgeous, very well balanced drive, agile and nimble, the sound track is gorgeous. Build quality on mine was apalling please google all the faults i mention they are common, sadly: stress dents appeared on rear tailgate, brake discs rusted terribly, sat nav is volvo, key is ford transit. Electrical faults galore mine was recovered 4 times in my six months of ownershp. Never again will i buy one of these cars, unfortunately....once bitten.

Bentley - solid bullet proof car, handling not that good braking terrible due to cars weight, straight line speed is epic ... Brake twice as early as in a normal car !! No problems during my ownership, i genuinely adore this car and will always have one in my garage .. I love it !!!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #8 Hud, Oct 23, 2013
  9. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #9 Hud, Oct 23, 2013
    Bentley is a v12 gtc, aston was a V8. The bentley is well put together and solid ( double glazing, etc,etc) the aston genuinely disappointed me. Both cars now represent great value .. Me personally bentley is rolex, aston is timex !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I owned a V8 Vantage convertible, manual. It was a great car and gave me fun without any problems. I have driven several Bentles at dealerships but never bought one

Not sure I agree with this statement. I would say the Astons are a gentlemans sport car and a Bently is for "driving Miss daisy". Some Bentlys have alot of power but all are heavy in handling.

Not a GM fan but I think the big caddy drives as well, maybe better and the V series is close in power at 1/5 the cost. whats not to like :) Caddies have changed alot, both in image and reality.

I walked away impressed but bought a Mclaren 12C instead or maybe it was the new Viper. Both wonderful cars.

Best

Lee

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

#11 Bradwilliams, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    Thanks for the replies fellas

Did you buy the Aston new and what year was it? I'm looking at an 07 with 28k on it so the gremlins should be sorted at this point. As for the sat nav, I am not concerned. If it fails, it fails. I won't be using it anyway! I love the Vanquish but won't go anywhere near one with the F1 shift. All of the manuals are 100k plus which is more than I would like to spend

12. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brad, anyone who is seriously considering Aston Martin ownership and is not an AM expert should read a copy of "The Definitive Buyer's Guide to New Gaydon Era Aston Martin" by Grant Neal. You can find it on the Internet.

AMs are iconic and marvelous but they all have their quirks. It is also critical that you pick the correct year model in line with your ownership expectations and budget. This is because the AM manufacturing went through very specific improvements/corrections at very specific times. These are all explained in detail in Neal's book. If you buy an older AM without expert advice you are very likely to regret it.

My own impressions of the 2 cars is that the Bentley will likely be more reliable given its Audi roots but it comes across as an old man's boulevard cruiser, more like a Lexus, which personally for me would be an extremely bad idea. :) The AM is much more youthful and sporty but you must choose the model wisely and with eyes open. If you are looking at the V8 Vantage, the 2009MY has the bigger 4.7L engine which apparently addresses the lack of power complaints from some owners of the older cars.

Good luck!

13. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi Brad

My Aston was an 06, I understand alot of the issues were rectified, as you correctly say, on later cars. The same applies to early model Bentleys, I believe their were issues with pre 06/7 cars.

Good luck in you search, both very different cars.

14. astongirl

astongirl Karting

Sep 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Monica
    Brad:

I've had my '08 V8V since January and have not had any issues with it. Although AM upgraded the Vantage to the 4.7 engine in '09 and the new glass key, I was happy with the 4.3 and the traditional key. I found the right color combination with all the options I wanted (and AM warranty) which was more important to me than having a newer model with the newer engine. It took me 6 months to finally find it and I could not be happier. Now I have to think if I want to extend the warranty or not.

I read a post above recommending Grant's book 'The Definitive Guide to Gaydon Era Aston Martins' - Highly recommended! Extremely informative on all the AM models! I've read the book and occasionally refer back to it. It's on my nightstand :)

Best of luck on your choice...

Monica

15. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    You need to spend more time than a test drive to appreciate what the Bentley is all about, try a long weekend touring etc.

Its no racing car, but a very comfortable, well built tourer. A bit thirsty on fuel too!!!

16. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    aston delivers a more visceral experience than a bentley. the bentley is a better engineer and assembled car. go with the aston

17. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    problem solved

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsDHS_45E3s]Aston Martin V12 Vantage S review - Auto Express - YouTube[/ame]

18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
  19. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    The comments about Aston build quality are discouraging. I've been considering a DB9 or the V12 Vantage.

We live within walking distance of an Aston dealership, so if I'm stranded at home, there's that.

My wife has had several GTs, currently a GTC, and loved them all. They have all been bulletproof. Very powerful, very comfortable.

20. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Did you buy new or used?

21. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    All new.

22. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

My Aston (2007 V8) has 13k miles on it. Only "surprise" was a leaking rear shock that was replaced with little fanfare. No other issues.

23. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's why I suggested the AM buyer's guide.

A really good book is like having an expert spill everything he knows about the topic of your interest. You wouldn't even get that if you picked the brains of an expert mechanic because you wouldn't know all the questions to ask.

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    #24 Townshend, Nov 4, 2015