F Type coupe | FerrariChat

F Type coupe

Discussion in 'British' started by jimangle, Dec 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Has anyone seen the new pics of the new coupe? I think Jag nailed it!

Jim

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They should have done the coupe first. There's one LA dealer with 91 new Ftypes for sale on the lot.

NINETY ONE.

3. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    91 on the dealer lots? Thats crazy. I havent been by the dealers here (philly area) lately, try to avoid them.

4. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Are they selling quick and the dealer is anticipating demand? Or sitting in your estimation?
    Are they only cabrio's?

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think it's one of the most stunning designed cars in a long, long time. This is what the California should've looked like. Doubt the factory could keep up with the demand...! The cali is bloated as hell.

6. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
  7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

pretty car...I will hope to see it depreciate big! it will be a heck of a buy in the secondary market!!!

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No coupes yet. Every one brand new. 91 cars in inventory costing at least 70 grand seems insane to me.

If you're shopping for one, check cars.com and look in the LA area. I'm sure you'll get a deal if you don't mind traveling.

9. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It's the $70K price point that's the problem. While I know the Jag is a nice car, I'm not sure how well it differentiates itself from the SLK and Boxster, both of which start around $50K.

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    THIS^

I really like, no, I LOVE the F-Type. Gorgeous car, great interior, great sound, fun to drive, etc. They are just too damn expensive. We were at a local combined Jag/Land Rover/VW/Audi dealer this weekend looking at SUV's. While my wife was out on a test drive I strolled over to look at the F-Types. Only 4 on the lot (this is a small dealer in Jackson, MS), but they stickered for $78K up to $97K. And none of these were even the V8 model! I'm sorry, but if I am spending essentially $100K on a car, it is going to be something very special. There are many very nice used Ferraris, Astons, Maseratis, Porsche, etc available for that kind of money. They theoretically positioned the F-Type to compete against the Boxster/Cayman/SLK and such, and I just have a hard time justifying a $20K price premium.

I asked the sales guy how they were selling, and he just kind of gave me a painful wince and said "Well, a lot of people come look, but can't seem to get past the price...we haven't sold many".

Jag is going to have to find a way to ease the price of these cars down I am afraid.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Hmmmm, Tata has been pretty successful in upping Land Rover prices, maybe they think that they can do that with Jaguar also.

12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I'm all for them being successful and selling their cars for as much as they can get. I really like Jaguar and hope they continue down their current path. They are making some GREAT cars right now. The problem with the F-Type is that Jag, or perhaps it's more the automotive media world, is pitting it against the Vette, Boxster and other such cars which are substantially cheaper.

Perhaps Jaguar sees it as more of a 911 competitor, as it is priced more in line with the 911 which is $85-$100K+.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No, it's a competitor of the Vette and Boxster. Saying it doesn't sell well enough because it's too cheap vs it's competition (the 911) doesn't make sense. People buy what they like based on what's out there in the market to choose from.

14. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I think we are saying the same thing here....I personally see it as more of an alternative to a Boxster/Cayman, and not a 911. I'm just wondering what Jaguar is thinking with their pricing strategy, which has it priced closer to 911 levels than Boxster levels.

Are there any actual sales figures out there for the F-Type thus far? I would be interested to see how it has really been doing.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #15 TheMayor, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    August 2013: Jaguar Land Rover North America - Sales Figure Ticker - Forums

"For the month of August, the Jaguar XF was the Jaguar volume and growth leader with 757 units sold, up 54 percent from 493 sales in August 2012. The Jaguar XJ sales were 499 units, up 17 percent from 426 in August, 2012.

After four months of retail, the exciting new Jaguar F-TYPE two seat convertible sports car sold 401 units.

Year to date, Jaguar sales are 11,134, up 30 percent from 8,546 sales, with both XJ and XF sales increasing on the appeal of new powertrains and All Wheel Drive."

Jaguar F-Type Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I sat in the coupe at the LA auto show. Great looking car, very nice interior. The reps were coy on the availability of a manual transmission, but made it sound like it would happen.

17. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    From the European point of view I'd say Vette and 911 are competitors, not Vette and Boxster:

Boxster 265 hp - 315 hp
    911 350 hp - 560 hp
    Vette 460 hp - 650 hp
    F-Type 340 hp - 550 hp

A 500 hp Z06 or a 650 hp ZR1 simply destroys a Boxster on the autobahn. ~ 320 kph vs. ~ 270 kph. Even a standard Vette does. O.k., no autobahn in the US, but as I said it's a European point of view.

You guys get Euro cars 1€ : 1$ instead of real 1€ : 1,38$. No need to complain. Euro customers massively subsidize every Euro car you get in the US. Dollar is weak. Drive a Vette, build other own American cars or simply pay. Great Britain is an awfully expensive place to live. How could they build a car like a F-type and then ship it for 50.000 $ (= 36.350 € = 30195 GBP) to the US? No way. That's the equivalent of a 156 hp C180 Mercedes without hardly any options or a mediocrely equipped VW Golf GTI over here! My BMW dealer offers an i3 for 52.500,- € = 72.219 $ at present! And that is a pretty small electric car.

F-Type / F-Type S / F-Type R

USA: $ 65.000 / $ 77.000 / $ 99.000
    Great Britain: £ 51.235 = $ 84.851 / £ 60.235 = $ 99.756 / £ 85.000 = $ 140.770
    Germany: € 67.000 = $ 92.077 / € 78.500 = $ 107.882 / € 103.700 = $ 142.514

Cars in general are very cheap, too cheap in my opinion, in the US, as gas is and a 550 hp F-type is way above a 315 hp Boxster, although a Boxster is a very well handling car. That's my honest opinion. No offence intended by the way.

Best Regards and Happy New Year from Porsche and Mercedes town Stuttgart to the US!

18. ferraripete

I look forward to seeing this car in the flesh. will it be 100k for the r version of will it be 120k ish? we shall see!

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Never gonna happen.

20. anthony47

anthony47 Karting

May 15, 2005
    Don't those prices include VAT at around 20% though which rather alters the picture?

21. chp

chp Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    You are right, VAT GB is 20% and VAT Germany is 19%. But even then there is a difference of about 20.000,- $ for an F-Type R. And often cars for the US market are better equipped, e.g. with bigger standard engines, which will increase the difference again.

One has to calculate precisely, but it is common knowledge over here that there is a huge difference usually. Take a standard 911 without any options:

USA MSRP: $ 84.300,00
    Germany ex. Vat: € 90.417,- / 1,19 x 1,38 $/€ = 104.853,- $

Difference is 24%.

And of course the other way around the same picture. Corvette:

USA MSRP: $ 51.000,-
    Germany ex. Vat: € 69.990,- / 1,19 x 1,38 $/€ = 81.165,- $

Difference is 59%.

22. ferraripete

I suspect you are correct bob. I am still interested in seeing the car and remaining objective. to me as a person value shopping for my next semi dd...I have a shortlist of the sls and the 2005-6 vanquish s. strange list to some but I love the looks of both. I like the fact that both may have some long term value...which is to say that both will be as cool 10 years from now as they are today. they are both cars that I can enjoy putting on 5k miles per year and enjoy the pomp and circumstance of the drive each time.

this f-type coupe may be the smarter play for me however as it seems an apparent value and has got the looks and performance. I have resigned myself to the fact that the paddles will be a way of life for me should I choose to buy a more modern dd.

I will have my first look at the coupe on Friday at the san diego auto show. I am excited to see what they have created!!

23. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I think a 495 hp V8 is far more of a 911 competitor than a Boxster, and when similarly equipped to a Carrera S Cabriolet is 40K less. As a complete package (looks, power, handling, sense of occasion) I vastly prefer it to a 911, of which I've owned four ranging from an '89 C4 Cab to a 996 Turbo. And maybe I missed something, but who said its sales were hampered by the car being too cheap?

Full disclosure: I have a V8 S Roadster on order. Maybe I'm just an Anglophile. When is your Vette due?

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The resale of a 911 or Boxster is pretty solid, though. Jags traditionally depreciate like they were thrown off a cliff. I'd actually take the new Boxster/Cayman over the F-Type -- no offense to Tata, it's a nice design but doesn't keep me awake at night. I really like what Porsche has done on the 981.

For a daily driver (especially with the traffic around here), paddles are terrific. I've had them in two Audis and wouldn't go any other way for street duty.

25. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Nice! Please post some pics and driving impressions after you get it. How did you spec it out?