XK150 v S1.5E-Type | FerrariChat

XK150 v S1.5E-Type

Discussion in 'British' started by leeber, Mar 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    Is there any ownership comparison, or is it a one sided argument: What would make a more pleasurable 2+2 ownership experience with a young child. Taking into consideration things like interior backseat room, cockpit heat/comfort, available parts, and service costs, and real drivability. I am looking for reliable weekend fun for my family to take two hour drives and return home without frustration. Must have an exhilarating gear box to wind through and make beautiful exhaust notes. I would love to keep budget within 1965-1967 E-Type with 6 cyl 4.2 or any series 150-3.4, as they both seem to be fairly equal in upfront cost these days. Unfortunately, Ferrari 330 and 365 2+2's are out of reach. Thanks for any advice.

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Porsche 911, not British or Italian but checks all of your boxes. Will be much more reliable than any Jaguar.

3. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Alfa Romeo Bertone GTV comes to mind.

4. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There is no backseat in an XK150... You might consider Jags Mark 2 with the 3.8 liter motor, 4 speed w/OD. Classic lines, E-Type motor, gorgeous interior and a proper family sporting saloon! This is the most valued variant and would be much less than an E-type. Look for a fully restored and sorted one and you should have no problems. I had one and regret selling it but needed the space for my F car. My kids really enjoyed riding in it and has been their favorite to date.

5. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
  6. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Count me as another vote for a Jag Mk II. Way prettier than an E-Type 2+2 IMHO. Alfa GTV would be cool as well.

7. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I love the Alfa marque, but hate the idea of driving a beautiful old Italian car and not seeing Italian gauges. Something about seeing Benzina, Acqua, or Temp Olio makes me feel like Im in the olde country! Not many Alfa's carry them, including the GTV. But please keep the ideas coming.

I do like the Jag Mark II, but four doors might not scratch the itch of classic GT ownership. Thats what steered me to the XK150.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't know where values are these days, but what about a Lamborghini Espada?

9. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    BMW 3,0 CS (great box, lovely straight six noises, drives like a car 10 years newer) Alfa 2600 spider or coupe, early Jag Xj-12C (gorgeous, unique limited model a minter ought to have appreciation potential) , MBZ 280 SE coupe, FIAT 130 coupe, Audi 100 coupe S, Does the Alfa Montreal have a kid size back seat?

OK those are my thoughts, I like every car on the list : )

10. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Ditto on the BMW 3.0 CS. It's a great car and while the values have shot up over the last couple years I don't believe the cars are yet fully appreciated. It's a fun and engaging car to drive and is arguably one of the best looking coupes ever built. The rear seat is much more legit than a 911 or 2+2 etype.

11. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    What are your thoughts on modern 2+2's? You can get a DB9, 456, or Gran Turismo in that pice range.

Or you can go really esoteric with a vintage car and get a Jensen Interceptor, Triumph Stag, or some permutation of old Lancia.

12. leeber

leeber Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2012
    Charleston, SC
    I actually thought about a modern...and looked at a 1988 BMW E30 M3. Was always one of my favorites, but it sold too quick. I thought 456 but FC threads scared me away with constant talk of grossly high expense maintaining it. Spent time thinking of 1988 and 1989 Mondials, too.

But then I started thinking about the XK 150....could be a fun driver at 200horsepower with a hint of holding its value.

I dig the cars mentioned.

13. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Hunt. Bch/Palm Dsrt/Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    A nice sorted Morgan 2+2 for back roads only, I would NOT take it out onto freeways with kids though.

Think safety and reliability first as you pick the car. Nothing worse than being stuck on the side of the road with a wife screaming at you with a kid in the back seat.....

14. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    A GREAT video of a gentleman and his XK 140---

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QsPA2Pq_l8]The Joy of the Jaguar XK140 Comes in Driving It - YouTube[/ame]

15. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  16. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    I agree...they have great videos...Also, have you checked out "Racing In Slow Motion" videos...great stuff...

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #17 rdefabri, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My father put my mother and their 4 kids (including me) in one of these:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Jaguar 15

Jaguar 15 Formula 3

Mar 27, 2013
    Full Name:
    Jim Crawford
    #18 Jaguar 15, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I know this is not the genre that the OP outlined, but there is something very special about a classic 1950s big finned American convertible (Caddy, Chrysler, Buick, etc...) It's fun to drive in a nostalgic kinda way - different than an old sports car - not better or worse. The floating nature of the cars is a big part of their charm. The big finned cars are huge hits with all generations and turn more heads than most vintage sports cars. Also, the kids won't outgrow the backseats and there is always room for their friends!